Sennheiser hd 380 pro vs hd 439
Aug 20, 2012 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nyanman

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all!

I'm a student on a tight budget and looking for a good headphone what's comfortable,inexpensive,clear,but with punchy bass and speed,as I will be listening to a lot of electronic music.I will be running this out of an iPad 2 ,nexus s with voodoo as well as out of an iPod touch 4. Between the sennheiser hd 380 pro and the 439,which is more suited?Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thank you :D

Aug 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 8
I've never tried these headphones, but the AKG K518DJ and Audio Technica SJ55 are good budget headphones IMO (they're both around 50 EUR, less than the HD 439, which goes for 89 EUR), though I'd say HD 439 would win comfort-wise (I had the HD 428 and 448, and both were very comfortable).

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 8
I haven't heard the HD380, but I just bought the HD439 for my daughter and think it sounds pretty good for the price.  My primary headphone is the HD650, but the HD439 has some of the same Sennheiser qualities I appreciate--controlled bass and a very neutral non-fatiguing sound signature.  The sound is lively and musical out of the HD439 and it has some of the warmth if not the lushness and detail of the HD650.  The comfort is excellent--no excessive clamping force and very nice around-the-ear velour pads--you can wear these all day.  I haven't heard a better headphone for the price ($80).

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 8
I recommend staying away from the 380's,
having owned them twice.

The first time I just couldn't believe how utterly uninspired
they sounded.  No soundstage, no punch, rolled off too much up top.

(Very comfortable and well made, though.)

I returned them after about a week.

Then, a couple of months later I bought another pair
(both from authorized dealers BTW)
and my impressions were exactly the same as the first time.

For electronic music, why not the ATH M50's? 
Especially as last week they could be had for a mere $107.00!
That, to me, is a steal.

On a tighter budget, the open back Ultrasone HFI15G are excellent
for around $55.00 or so.

There are a whole lot of better choices than the Senn 380.
IME2X & IMO.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 8
The build quality seems ok, but not bombproof by any means. I can't say the HD650 build quality is impressive, but I appreciate the light weight and don't throw them around. On the plus side, the HD439 cable unplugs and you get two lengths--probably the most likely component to break.

Thanks for the feed back,Barry,does the hd 439 seem durable? The only concern I may have is with the pivot which links the band to the cups.

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
  •  
  •  
  •  
Hi all!
I'm a student on a tight budget and looking for a good headphone what's comfortable,inexpensive,clear,but with punchy bass and speed,as I will be listening to a lot of electronic music.I will be running this out of an iPad 2 ,nexus s with voodoo as well as out of an iPod touch 4. Between the sennheiser hd 380 pro and the 439,which is more suited?Any other suggestions are welcome.
Thank you
biggrin.gif

The Ultrasone 780's do a nice job with electronica
impressive bass; zippy treble
too hot for some; others really go for it.

Shure 840's are also definitely worth a listen IMO
Very good sounding closed headphones for the money

Beyerdynamic DT770's also come to mind,
but you'll want/need an amp with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back