Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (rather large photos inside)
Oct 15, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #121 of 124
Now after owning the Sennheiser HD380 Pros for more than a year I can say this is one hell of a closed headphone.  Build quality is better than the original HD280s by far.  It may not look the part, but so far no cracks or creaks for that matter. 

I have tried using Velour pads with these headphones and I can say I gain a bit of mid range smoothness with a significant loss in overall lower bass registers and the closed nature (isolation) is all but gone.  A closed headphone is design to provide an intimate listening experience.  Recording companies use the HD280s for one of those reasons.  Soundstage is not the strongest suite with either HD 280/380s, however if one is looking for an overall picture of what their music is going to sound like and without any real bias, then the Sennheiser HD280/380 Professionals are as good as it gets.

The HD595, 580, HD500a, 650, 800 and the higher old class HE60/90 are designed in a way for overall listening pleasure rather than being analytical.  I love Sennheiser's products and since I do not really have a bias toward any one headphone group, I can say that for good comfort and listening experience, the HD380s are much better in this department than with my nearly eight year old HD280s, which I still have and serve me well.

Hope this helps

NOTE: the sound stage is rather expansive and overall tonal quality is quite good given if paired with the right headphone amp and interconnect.  I am using the stock coil cord after issues with micro phonics with upgraded cables.  The amp is made by C&C model Box+ (AD823 op amp) set to low-gain and the interconnect used is the Cardas Cable HPI 12-inch 3.5-mm stereo mini.

Everybody have a great weekend.

Oct 29, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #124 of 124
Ok just got them so they have not broken in yet. First impression is decent. My Sennheiser eH350 and HD 497 (Almost ten years old now) have served me well but I will not make a direct comparison as those two cans are of lower grade than the 380's. The 380's sound stage is very good, you can hear detail such as the vinyl scratches on DJ recordings that were not obvious before through my Creative T20 desktop speakers or my other headphones. I have them plugged into the Xonar D1 card on my PC running the Unified Xonar drivers.The 380's look huge and feel a little bulky at first but once you put them on it is easy to forget that they are on, so I would say comfort is very good. I would have prefered a straight cable. Bass goes nice and deep and the trebles are not lacking nor overpowering. It would be interesting to see how they sound when they break in nicely. I would say for now the sound stage is neutral, the mids sound well defined and warm. The 54 Ohms makes them easy to drive without an headphone AMP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back