Sennheiser HD 380 Pro cable options
Jul 13, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #16 of 59

Phoned sennheiser spare and they dont do one , a curly one is £20.

I bought the above

1M Metre 2.5mm to 3.5mm Jack Audio AUX MP3 Cable Lead

£1.75 on amazon

Remove the concentric rings on the body of the 2.5mm plug , I used a woodworking rasp cos it was handy but a stanley knife or sandpaper would do .

Fits very snugly in the socket have been using for an hour , works a treat

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #17 of 59
Well, I broke down and purchased the cable for the P5.  I'm sure there are other ones that work just as well, but I didn't want to deal with trimming plugs and such.  I knew the cable would be lighter and less likely to tangle, but I didn't realize how much more comfortable the headphones feel.  It feels very light on my head; I always thought of the HD380 as a heavy headphone, but it was just the cable.  I guess I should run down some pxc450 earpads, since it's supposed to be a nice upgrade over the HD380 pads...

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #18 of 59
So the p5 worked fine for u with no mods? Also if u cld pls post feedback if you get the pxc pads. I wld be interested in ordering them if you think it is worth it. Thanx. Oh yea and where did u order the p5 cable from?

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #19 of 59
I purchased it from http://www.custom-cable.co.uk; it's a simpler ordering process, and the cost is about the same.  I ended up getting the HD595 pads, because of the velour.  That takes me back to my hd650 days.  The new pads are more comfortable and the headphones feel less closed, but the sound is a bit more diffused than with the old pads.  The effect on the sound and the level of comfort probably has something to do with the fact the the old pads are pretty much flat now...  Maybe I should have gone for the PXC pads, because I think it sounds worse.  It's less closed though.

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #20 of 59
That helps. I was worried that using the velour would affect the bass response. Well if you try out the PXC pads let me know. Although the ones that come with it Im getting used to. Pretty compfy set of cans overall. Found that cable on the website. Not a bad price. Thanx.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #22 of 59
Lol... We will see (I was thinking better thee than me in case they dont work out). :wink: Ill have to see them in person to see if they r worth it. Ill post if i get em.

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #23 of 59
Thot this cld be useful for anyone looking at this thread. I emailed sennheiser and asked about putting pads from other models on the 380 and asked for model numbers. Here is the answer:

"Thanks for writing. You certainly can... Here is a table of compatible part numbers:"
4fb3a912.jpg

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #25 of 59
Yes they grow better "pleather" in japan i guess.....

Back on the op topic - i ordered the hd 210 straight cable. Think its gunna fit. Tell yall when i have it.

Aug 10, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #26 of 59
Ok got the cable in today.... Finally. It fits in there just fine.

It is much lighter without being too thin but its pretty long. About 10 feet!

Here is a pic of the headphone side (left) of the new cable along with the part number. The original coiled cable connector is on the right.
294ab4fc.jpg

Here is a shot of it inserted. I wish it were a bit shorter but it works for me.
37189e07.jpg

Cost me ten bucks including shipping at b&h.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/547683-REG/Sennheiser_091581_Replacement_Cable_for_HD.html

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #27 of 59
Thanks guys, your discussion really helped me.  I wanted to upgrade from my old 280's.  I had two pair of them and the sound was great but they had issues.  The first pair fell apart on me pretty early on and when it did I got out the electrical tape and made them work until they had to be replaced by pair number 2.  As soon as I got pair number 2 out of the box I taped them up knowing that if I didn't I'd regret it, and they lasted me several years but they never really stayed on my head very well.  I couldn't really walk around with them on which I know is asking a lot for a pair of over the ear headphones but that's what I like to do.  Part of the reason was the coiled cord but I think much of the reason was the weight and design of the 280's.  So today I got my new pair of 380's and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  THIS is how headphones are supposed to fit!   Now to deal with the coiled cord issue - I just ordered the cable that Doc-Holiday recommended.

Thanks again everyone.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #28 of 59
http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/sennheiser-replacement-lead-for-pxc450-3m.html

I'm pretty sure this cable should work great. The headphones-side with 2,5mm jack looks exackly like HD-380's.
It's straight. Just what one would look for HD-380

It doesn't fit HD380 Pro. It includes mic line, and because of that it's an other jack. I did not notice this at first.
Sorry for missleading. And thanks to Doc-holliday for correcting me.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #29 of 59
http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/sennheiser-replacement-lead-for-pxc450-3m.html

I'm pretty sure this cable should work great. The headphones-side with 2,5mm jack looks exackly like HD-380's.
It's straight. Just what one would look for HD-380

Actually I called Senny and talked to one of their techs. He pulled one of those cables and tried it for me to see if it would fit. It does not per him. The piece does not fit both headphones....

Old thread but posting this so someone does not see it and order that cable and have a fit issue without checkng with Senny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back