Sennheiser HD 300 Pro Review and Impressions Thread (HD 250 Linear Revival )
Aug 9, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #106 of 167
Recently a buzz started coming out of driver of my HD380 pro's, which I solved by blowing some canned air, but it got me thinking if they break and they are no longer being sold what would be the options.
I asked about depth because in order for the drivers not to touch my ears, the pads need to be 28mm high, or over 24mm not be uncomfortable.

Those Shure's are a bit over budget.
Do you own the Samson's, or know what the pad dimensions are?
Sennheiser will continue to carry spare parts for 380s for some time. Soldering required for a driver replacement, though it is easy in this headphone because of the PCB in each cup. Instead of having each driver cable going directly to the headphone cable socket in the left cup, there is a lone PCB in the way; no need to get that solder iron close to the drivers, which is the tricky and dangerous part of such jobs, so I could recommend repairing an HD380 to a beginner. Still a good idea to grab some broken computer or PCI card (video, ethernet, or sound or whatever) from a dumpster or something to practice soldering on first before tackling your headphone.

Aug 9, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #107 of 167
Sennheiser will continue to carry spare parts for 380s for some time. Soldering required for a driver replacement, though it is easy in this headphone because of the PCB in each cup. Instead of having each driver cable going directly to the headphone cable socket in the left cup, there is a lone PCB in the way; no need to get that solder iron close to the drivers, which is the tricky and dangerous part of such jobs, so I could recommend repairing an HD380 to a beginner. Still a good idea to grab some broken computer or PCI card (video, ethernet, or sound or whatever) from a dumpster or something to practice soldering on first before tackling your headphone.

I fixed the issue with some canned air, must have been dust.
I know how to solder, but does Sennheiser sell spare drivers?

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #108 of 167
Yes, they will continue to carry spare parts for some time.

Aug 25, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #109 of 167
Had a chance to test the 300 Pro's and 280 Pro's.

300 Pro:
Comfort: Ok, measured around 20mm pad depth. Clamp was not too tight. Less than my currently 380 Pro's, which are a few years old.
Sound isolation: very good. Maybe better than the 380 Pro's, both are rated at up to 32db.
The 380 Pro's measured isolation Link ,could not find one for the 300 Pro's.
Sound:
Ok soundstage, not congested.
Bass heavy (heavier than the 380 Pro's), bleed a bit into the midrage.
Mids and highs ok.

280 Pro:
Comfort: Stronger clamp combined with thinner pads (~17mm) made them uncomfortable for me.
Sound isolation: weaker than the 300 Pro's. Link
Sound:
Congested soundstage.
Less bass heavy than the 300's, but still bass heavy.
Mids and highs ok.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #110 of 167
HD280 isolation is second to none for me. HD380 with [like-]new earpads isn't as good at that as HD25, HD280, and the HD6/7/8 series for me.

I came up with a modification to decongest HD280's soundstage a few years ago. 280's vice grip is quite infamous, too. It bothers me until the earpads start shaping to my head.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #111 of 167
HD280 isolation is second to none for me. HD380 with [like-]new earpads isn't as good at that as HD25, HD280, and the HD6/7/8 series for me.

I came up with a modification to decongest HD280's soundstage a few years ago. 280's vice grip is quite infamous, too. It bothers me until the earpads start shaping to my head.
What is the mod for the 280's?

Aug 26, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #112 of 167
It's pretty simple. You will need a screw driver to remove only the bottom screw when looking at each headphone cup with the earpad removed.
https://www.head-fi.org/gallery/photo/1113011/

You can use some open-cell acoustic foam or polyester fiberfill for the mod. If you add too much, you will lose deep bass, and too little renders too little benefit.

Aug 31, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #114 of 167
"Full sized HD25"? No such thing yet, unfortunately.
A few come close to approximating some specific sonic aspect of HD25 or another, but nothing quite hits the bullseye at all or comes close, in my experience.
This HD300 isn't going to be it, all the more so if it is sonically related/similar to HD280.

Aug 31, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #115 of 167
"Full sized HD25"? No such thing yet, unfortunately.
A few come close to approximating some specific sonic aspect of HD25 or another, but nothing quite hits the bullseye at all or comes close, in my experience.
This HD300 isn't going to be it, all the more so if it is sonically related/similar to HD280.

That's very sad!

On the iem side, the new team working on the iexxx pro is doing a great job. The ie40 pro is a monster iem, and very close to hd25 signature.

Jan 29, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #116 of 167
Can confirm, Sennheiser HD 300 PRO are just NOT good. Judging just by their external appearance it's most likely due to profit maximization, so I wouldn't blame necessarily engineers, but accountants.

First and foremost boomy bass alone makes the HD 300 PRO broken. Now I know what exactly tight bass means - it's the opposite of the HD 300 PRO bass. Headphones also lack clarity around upper bass/lower mids, but I'm too unexperienced listener to say more about that, it just feels like there's something wrong, male vocals blend with bass, there's all mess. Mids, upper mids and highs I'd say I like (not big fan of Beyerdynamic's coarse highs), I'd say they're very pleasant, but that doesn't matter much when every bass punch feels like a bomb echoing inside your ear cup. Mind it isn't nice bass punch at all. Lowering 30 Hz by some dB helped a lot, but I'd rather prefer to listen them how manufacturer intended. Also increasing 30 Hz makes terrible echo inside earcup, really don't know what that is, lack of bass reflex, or what? I still had foil around that shiny rectangle (I'm going to return them), but I doubt that echo is because of sealed crevices.

Regarding HD 300 PRO look and feel plastics are well matched and look sturdy, but are of low quality, and shamefully without any proper (any) finish. Plastic edge of the earcup just below earpad is very sharp, you can feel it under fingertip every time you put on headphones. It's is so sharp you could cut your fingertips if grabbed them wrong way, thinking about slicing your finger makes you shiver. Kind of OCD, but it's really sharp, no joke. That flaw shouldn't be allowed outside the prototype stage and honestly that's exactly how the HD 300 PRO feel, just like some beta prototype, engineering sample not for sale, or so. Earpad material is fine, but headband I don't like, HD 380 PRO had it better. Also HD 380 PRO had way better build quality, including beveled plastic edges.

Overall I'm big fan and almost lifetime user of the Sennheiser HD 380 PRO, unfortunately mine went loose after years and without vice grip they loose a lot of sound quality especially in bass (underrated imo by bassheads), unfortunatelly Sennhesier decided to dscontinue them which is even more shameful than releasing HD 300 PRO. I'd say HD 300 PRO had potential, there's some Sennheiser's magic in them, but something went horribly wrong along the road. Their cheap shell is like spit in the face especially for 160 € in Europe, but honestly I wouldn't buy them for quarter that price, they're just broken. I'm not saying HD 300 PRO have bad sound quality - sound alone is superb, better than my old HD 380, but echoing bass and some mess around low mids/ upper bass cancels everything, also plastics quality is unbearable (I'm kind of esthete on a budget) and that sharp edge is just too much, it's simply and sadly below consumer dignity.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #117 of 167
Fullsized cans in general looks rather silly on someones head, but these went beyond ugly, and with messed up sound to booth. One wonders what Sennheiser was thinking, possibly made of the cheapest materials they could find which is a reason.

Jan 30, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #118 of 167
edit: after listening to many headphones lately I've changed my mind. I'll try another pair of HD 300 Pros when their price drops. I hope for better pair, silent revision, or something and even if that won't be the case I think I'll still keep them, equalize bass, or try some mods. Nowadays headphones are crap anyway.

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #119 of 167
So I've bought my second pair of Sennheiser HD 300 PRO and this time they're GREAT :) (both were made in Romania). There's possibility that my brain is tricking me, but I'd say that this time they have significantly better bass (I'd describe it as big, but not boomy). Trebles at first seemed to be lacking, but now I'd say they're perfect. Also they opened up a little bit (at first scene was somewhat weird). All in all they're perfect for my needs and well worth the price. I just had to bevel those sharp edges around earcup which now look and feel as it should.

Recently I tried Sennheiser HD 600/650, Beyerdynamic DT770/990, Ultrasone DXP and I have to say HD 300 PRO tops them all (I think Ultrasone DXP was kind of better soundwise unfortunately it had terrible pads).

Overall HD 300 PROs are really good headphones (at least my pair) with deep, silky and natural sound (somewhat speaker-like).

May 26, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #120 of 167
So I've bought my second pair of Sennheiser HD 300 PRO and this time they're GREAT :) (both were made in Romania). There's possibility that my brain is tricking me, but I'd say that this time they have significantly better bass (I'd describe it as big, but not boomy). Trebles at first seemed to be lacking, but now I'd say they're perfect. Also they opened up a little bit (at first scene was somewhat weird). All in all they're perfect for my needs and well worth the price. I just had to bevel those sharp edges around earcup which now look and feel as it should.

Recently I tried Sennheiser HD 600/650, Beyerdynamic DT770/990, Ultrasone DXP and I have to say HD 300 PRO tops them all (I think Ultrasone DXP was kind of better soundwise unfortunately it had terrible pads).

Overall HD 300 PROs are really good headphones (at least my pair) with deep, silky and natural sound (somewhat speaker-like).

What do you mean by bevel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back