Sennheiser HD 300 Pro Review and Impressions Thread (HD 250 Linear Revival )
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 167

Malfunkt

1000+ Head-Fier
This is exciting news for Sennheiser fans, studio engineers, and head-fiers on the linear tip.

Sennheiser's classic HD 250 has been reborn, with a signature as close as possible in range of 5 new headphones.
TUAceb2l.jpg

Sound reproduction modelled on the legendary HD 250 Linear

"For inspiration during the design process, Sennheiser’s acoustic engineers turned to the HD 250 Linear, a classic model that is still highly regarded amongst professionals today. Despite the difference in the ear cup shapes, the engineering team was able to get extremely close to the precise, linear sound reproduction of the original model, thus placing the HD 300 PRO at the peak of Sennheiser’s monitoring headphone portfolio. The detailed, linear response makes the 300 PRO series ideal for music-makers, too."

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/new-300-pro-headphones-and-headsets-deliver-the-ultimate-in-comfort

The models at a glance

• HD 300 PRO – the new top-of-the-range monitoring headphones
  • HD 300 PROtect – as HD 300 PRO, with selectable (on/off) ActiveGard™.
  • HMD 300 PRO – closed, circumaural communications headset, selectable (on/off) ActiveGard™, noise-compensated dynamic, super-cardioid boom microphone, cable to be chosen separately according to production environment
  • HMD 300-XQ-2 – as HMD 300 PRO, with detachable cable featuring XLR-3 and ¼” jack connectors
  • HMD 301 PRO – as HMD 300 PRO but single-sided headset with side support
The 300 PRO series will be available from August 2018.

For reference, here is the old HD 540 Referene and HD 250 Linear (background) from the '80s.

nQUN7T1l.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 167
This is exciting news for Sennheiser fans, studio engineers, and head-fiers on the linear tip.

Sennheiser's classic HD 250 has been reborn, with a signature as close as possible in range of 5 new headphones.
TUAceb2l.jpg

Sound reproduction modelled on the legendary HD 250 Linear

"For inspiration during the design process, Sennheiser’s acoustic engineers turned to the HD 250 Linear, a classic model that is still highly regarded amongst professionals today. Despite the difference in the ear cup shapes, the engineering team was able to get extremely close to the precise, linear sound reproduction of the original model, thus placing the HD 300 PRO at the peak of Sennheiser’s monitoring headphone portfolio. The detailed, linear response makes the 300 PRO series ideal for music-makers, too."

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/new-300-pro-headphones-and-headsets-deliver-the-ultimate-in-comfort

The models at a glance

• HD 300 PRO – the new top-of-the-range monitoring headphones
  • HD 300 PROtect – as HD 300 PRO, with selectable (on/off) ActiveGard™.
  • HMD 300 PRO – closed, circumaural communications headset, selectable (on/off) ActiveGard™, noise-compensated dynamic, super-cardioid boom microphone, cable to be chosen separately according to production environment
  • HMD 300-XQ-2 – as HMD 300 PRO, with detachable cable featuring XLR-3 and ¼” jack connectors
  • HMD 301 PRO – as HMD 300 PRO but single-sided headset with side support
The 300 PRO series will be available from August 2018.

For reference, here is the old HD 540 Referene and HD 250 Linear (background) from the '80s.

nQUN7T1l.jpg

WOW!!!:astonished:

This should be interesting...Wonder if Senn still has the bottle of special sauce to add to these so that they come close to the HD250s

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 167
IF they mange to get the same sound signature qualities of the 250 then [in many ways] this will be the first descent headphone they have given us since the 80's :wink:

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 167
WOW!!!:astonished:

This should be interesting...Wonder if Senn still has the bottle of special sauce to add to these so that they come close to the HD250s

Man, this is so awesome. @Monsterzero I think they must have gone for it and probably nailed the signature and perhaps better (more stable, less seal issues, variance in versions, impedance etc.)

Really good price too. If these sound anything like my HD250 Linear, then I'm all in. One of the best headphones made for studio engineers and incredible as a listening can as well.

Edit: Ooops - price hasn't been announced yet.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 167
Man, this is so awesome. @Monsterzero I think they must have gone for it and probably nailed the signature and perhaps better (more stable, less seal issues, variance in versions, impedance etc.)

Really good price too. If these sound anything like my HD250 Linear, then I'm all in. One of the best headphones made for studio engineers and incredible as a listening can as well.

My vision sucks,but i did not see a pricing on there....
Hopefully it will be a 250-600ohm headphone so my tubes can still work their magic

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 167
Where did you see the price?

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 167
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 167
Yeah..this

The HD 280 and 380 Pro models are priced at $99.99 and $149.99, respectively. So it’s likely the new 300 Pro models will be in a similar price range, with more expensive options for additional features. The 300 Pro line will likely compete with something like the Beyerdynamic DT 240headphones, which are also aimed at content creators on the go.
- -

The following always worries me slightly:

that are designed for professional 'content creators' = always makes me think of bearded man bunned folks who own a Rega turntable because they have read somewhere it is cool :)
(no amp or speakers though !!)

I saw an interview recently with the head of Sennheiser who was essentially saying 'we are making headphones for mp3 phone using people who have never heard good audio let alone have any interest in quality'
Also,as a someone who works with audio professionally, whenever a company as huge as Sennheiser feels they have to add the word PRO onto a product....that worries me!

Anyhoo, still VERY interested in this news. crosses fingers

PS: Please let me review one Sennheiser :D

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 167
Yeah..this

The HD 280 and 380 Pro models are priced at $99.99 and $149.99, respectively. So it’s likely the new 300 Pro models will be in a similar price range, with more expensive options for additional features. The 300 Pro line will likely compete with something like the Beyerdynamic DT 240headphones, which are also aimed at content creators on the go.

Let's play Price is Right™. Bob, I'm going to say $249.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #10 of 167
"and customizable nameplates so you can put your company or band logo on the outside of the ear pads"

Oh for crying out loud...really? :/
I thought they were for 'PRO' people

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 167
I'm excited! I've come very close to snagging a HD250 Linear on eBay but I've always hesitated because I wasn't sure how to replace the pads.... I'm hoping the HD 300 PRO is similar in sound signature!

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #12 of 167
"and customizable nameplates so you can put your company or band logo on the outside of the ear pads"

Oh for crying out loud...really? :/
I thought they were for 'PRO' people

You know what, this is really smart of them. For production houses and studios, they will totally make use of this (cause' people snag gear or they go missing). But, for the rest of u s as well as DJs I can see some people customizing it. Look how well it worked for V-Moda...

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #13 of 167
You know what, this is really smart of them. For production houses and studios, they will totally make use of this (cause' people snag gear or they go missing). But, for the rest of u s as well as DJs I can see some people customizing it. Look how well it worked for V-Moda...
:D
You may well be right Buttt V-Moda versus HD250?
The HD 250 is a classic and one of the best closed back headphones ever made. The V-moda is pretty good but not in the same league
My point was more to do with that IF they have replicated the HD 250 signature, a lot of the wording they have used doesn't fit [for me] with the Royal like pedigree and the degree of respect the HD250 holds Makes me think of releasing a Rolls Royce with shiny chrome rims and racing bucket seats :)
I just find an incongruity related to the [sound signature] of one of the best closed back headphones ever made with little plastic panels on the side of the cups to put your name in + the general wording
Maybe you get what I mean?
Perhaps they really have done what they say BUT, and I can understand this totaly, they just want to sell loads of them :)

There is a lot of warning signs here for me but lets hear them first and also see how much they will market them for

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 167
I could care less about the ability to add *bling* to it,but im concerned its going to be directed at the 32ohm iPhone crowd.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #15 of 167
Yikes, I'm interested, better get saving :) Having just received my HD250 Linear yesterday and still getting used to their sound sig, I'm very curious as to how they present them too. At least they look like in the pics that they come with leather pads, hah :) I'm picking they'll stick to the 300 ohm area, but hey, we're all guessing at the moment, right? Maybe Jude will bring us a preview on video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back