Sennheiser HD 300 Pro Review and Impressions Thread (HD 250 Linear Revival )
Oct 13, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #91 of 167
The fact is - they made a bare faced lie when claiming they had matched them to the HD 250
All they made was another mediocre bass heavy POS like most headphone makers are throwing out there to the general public
If I had the means I would take them to court

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #92 of 167
They basically improved the pad / seal which will always increase bass, and the sort of booming effect our ears don't like when it's not ported. This seems to have muffled the high mids and highs creating a dull experience. They need to call it what it was, just an update of the HD280. I don't know if the bass increase was intentional to win over younger folks, I think the seal really caused that. They also a lack spaciousness in width, depth or height. They are utilitarian with an appeal to super bass heads as a side effect of trying to make them isolate better. This is why more companies need to beta test with people; we could have told them this earlier.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #93 of 167
I'm in the market for new cans under US$200 to replace my overused dying HD380 (has it been discontinued?) and uncomfortable HD280. I need them for location recording and tracking, but also use them for general listening when I don't want to bother anyone next to me. I get along with the sound of both, but prefer the 380. I'm not interested in the ATH-M50, DT770, or the MDR7506.

From the comments of those here who have actually used it, I get the impression that the 300 fits like a 280, but sounds halfway between the 280 and 380. Am I right?

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #94 of 167
I'm in the market for new cans under US$200 to replace my overused dying HD380 (has it been discontinued?)

The HD380 is not discontinued, and has its own unique signature. Flat mids and highs, recessed low mids and high bass, and a ridiculous sub bass elevation (it's like 5 db higher at 10 hz than it is at 20 hz) that makes them easily distort on really bass heavy material. If you like that sound, I think you can find these easily out there at major music retailers, just Google, I've seen them at only $99 in some places. The HD300 to me is closer to the HD280 in most ways. A similar horrible clamp you can't lighten up no matter how you try. Pads may be slightly thicker increasing isolation slightly. That boosts the bass and rolls off the highs as well.

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #96 of 167
I recently purchased the HD 300 Pros. Please allow me to share my thoughts on the sound quality. FYI, nowadays, I like to use just my Apple devices with the Apple lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter. This is an excellent performing device with slightly better than CD quality resolution, as long as the impedance of the phones is not more than 100ohms.

Initially, when I started playing music via the phones, my initial thoughts were in agreement with others on this thread - wow, oh my goodness, the mid- and lower bass were severely over-presented in the sound spectrum. It appeared to be time-smeared which, in my opinion, increases the perception of bloat and volume. The mids and especially the highs, however, were quite pleasant and more neutral, which are big ticks for me. I personally dislike shrill sounding headphones – unlistenable after a couple of songs!

But what about the bloated bass? It sounded like the bass of large three-way floorstanding speakers in a small room – the bass was overloading and over-pressurising the room! And in this instance, the acoustics of the cup. It also doesn’t help with the use of leatherette pads as they tend to increase bass response!

Well, the good thing was that I started searching the internet for the opinion of others. I came across a very helpful review below:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/bd7ffr/sennheiser_hd300_pro_mini_review_and_comparison/

The author recommends a good burn-in of the phones. So I did, playing heavy rock, for 72 hours before I started serious listening again. By that time, the bass had settled significantly and the time-smearing dissipated. And the overall sound was much more relaxed. There was still more low bass than my ‘classically’ linear sounding ER4SRs and my trusty Beyer DT250 cans.

I agree with the above author that the HD 300 Pros voicing was probably based on the Harman headphone target response. The mids and highs were quite neutral, akin to the ER4SR and DT250, but it was the bass and especially the lower bass that deferred.

The run-in bass response of the HD300 Pro, and the overall sound signature, resembled more my Beyer Aventhos, which I believe are also voiced towards the Harman response.

Do note that the mids and highs of both the ‘classic’ headphone target response and the Harman response are more similar than different. Even in this current thread, jon parker noted that the mids and highs of the HD 300 Pro had some similarities to the revered classically linear sounding HD 250, which I have not had the privilege of listening to yet.

My conclusion of the matter then is that the HD 300 Pros were intentionally voiced to resemble the Harman response which is modelled after good and linear sounding speakers in a room where there is a natural rise in the bass response due to acoustic loading.

My understanding is that the ‘classic’ target response is modelled after a good sounding speaker in an anechoic chamber setting – in essence, no bass reinforcement.

I suspect that the frustration faced by some members in this thread is really in the way Sennheiser marketed the HD 300 Pros. They claim that the HD 300 Pros were voiced very closely to match the HD 250. Well, in my opinion, this is both a yes and a no! Yes, because, as alluded to earlier, the mids and highs are more similar than different. But no, because what the Harman target response defines as linear bass is different to the classic definition.

In simple terms, the HD 300 Pros is definitely linear sounding based on the Harman target response. But they have too much bass if one uses the classic target response which presumably the HD 250 was designed with.

Furthermore, if there was ever a case for the need of burn-in, then the HD 300 Pros is a most resounding yes! This is quite unfortunate because many might be turned-off from the phones before they have had a chance to be broken-in. It’s really the instance of ‘throwing the baby out of the bath water’!

So, how is the quality of bass of the HD 300 Pros? In my opinion, really quite splendid! It doesn’t bleed into the mid-range. It’s extremely fast and tight. No time-smear and integrates very well with the rest of the frequencies. Furthermore, the Harman voicing allows the cans to be used at a lower and safer sound level as you can still hear the ‘kick’ of the bass notes.

It is quite delightful to hear the quality of a present day ‘state-of-the-art’ Sennheiser headphone driver/capsule! The HD 300 Pros sound very transparent and delicate. Even at low levels, detail still comes through. I do hope though, that with continued use, the overall sound will relax even more. It’s definitely not unpleasant. But I do enjoy the alluring relaxed sound of the Beyer DT250 which is over 20 years old in design but still fantastic!!

Finally, I am very glad that Sennheiser designed the HD 300 Pros to be used for broadcast rather than just studio mastering work. This is similar to the DT250s. For studio mastering and mixing, in my understanding, you often need a headphone that has accentuated treble and bass to help the engineer pick up errors in the recording. Our human ears are most sensitive to mid-range frequencies so they don’t need accentuating. But it helps if the lows and highs are.

But if the u-shaped response is repeated in broadcast headphones, especially if the bass bleeds into the mids, and the upper-mids and highs are strident, you can be sure that it will be most uncomfortable and unpleasant for the location technician!! So, I am happy to say that the highs are quite well-tamed in the HD 300 Pros even though I still prefer the highs on the DT250s.

Thanks for reading – hope you enjoyed it. As always, my views on the HD 300 Pro are personal and subjective. They are not meant to invalidate other differing opinions. Cheers!

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #97 of 167
I recently purchased the HD 300 Pros. Please allow me to share my thoughts on the sound quality. FYI, nowadays, I like to use just my Apple devices with the Apple lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter. This is an excellent performing device with slightly better than CD quality resolution, as long as the impedance of the phones is not more than 100ohms.

Initially, when I started playing music via the phones, my initial thoughts were in agreement with others on this thread - wow, oh my goodness, the mid- and lower bass were severely over-presented in the sound spectrum. It appeared to be time-smeared which, in my opinion, increases the perception of bloat and volume. The mids and especially the highs, however, were quite pleasant and more neutral, which are big ticks for me. I personally dislike shrill sounding headphones – unlistenable after a couple of songs!

But what about the bloated bass? It sounded like the bass of large three-way floorstanding speakers in a small room – the bass was overloading and over-pressurising the room! And in this instance, the acoustics of the cup. It also doesn’t help with the use of leatherette pads as they tend to increase bass response!

Well, the good thing was that I started searching the internet for the opinion of others. I came across a very helpful review below:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/bd7ffr/sennheiser_hd300_pro_mini_review_and_comparison/

The author recommends a good burn-in of the phones. So I did, playing heavy rock, for 72 hours before I started serious listening again. By that time, the bass had settled significantly and the time-smearing dissipated. And the overall sound was much more relaxed. There was still more low bass than my ‘classically’ linear sounding ER4SRs and my trusty Beyer DT250 cans.

I agree with the above author that the HD 300 Pros voicing was probably based on the Harman headphone target response. The mids and highs were quite neutral, akin to the ER4SR and DT250, but it was the bass and especially the lower bass that deferred.

The run-in bass response of the HD300 Pro, and the overall sound signature, resembled more my Beyer Aventhos, which I believe are also voiced towards the Harman response.

Do note that the mids and highs of both the ‘classic’ headphone target response and the Harman response are more similar than different. Even in this current thread, jon parker noted that the mids and highs of the HD 300 Pro had some similarities to the revered classically linear sounding HD 250, which I have not had the privilege of listening to yet.

My conclusion of the matter then is that the HD 300 Pros were intentionally voiced to resemble the Harman response which is modelled after good and linear sounding speakers in a room where there is a natural rise in the bass response due to acoustic loading.

My understanding is that the ‘classic’ target response is modelled after a good sounding speaker in an anechoic chamber setting – in essence, no bass reinforcement.

I suspect that the frustration faced by some members in this thread is really in the way Sennheiser marketed the HD 300 Pros. They claim that the HD 300 Pros were voiced very closely to match the HD 250. Well, in my opinion, this is both a yes and a no! Yes, because, as alluded to earlier, the mids and highs are more similar than different. But no, because what the Harman target response defines as linear bass is different to the classic definition.

In simple terms, the HD 300 Pros is definitely linear sounding based on the Harman target response. But they have too much bass if one uses the classic target response which presumably the HD 250 was designed with.

Furthermore, if there was ever a case for the need of burn-in, then the HD 300 Pros is a most resounding yes! This is quite unfortunate because many might be turned-off from the phones before they have had a chance to be broken-in. It’s really the instance of ‘throwing the baby out of the bath water’!

So, how is the quality of bass of the HD 300 Pros? In my opinion, really quite splendid! It doesn’t bleed into the mid-range. It’s extremely fast and tight. No time-smear and integrates very well with the rest of the frequencies. Furthermore, the Harman voicing allows the cans to be used at a lower and safer sound level as you can still hear the ‘kick’ of the bass notes.

It is quite delightful to hear the quality of a present day ‘state-of-the-art’ Sennheiser headphone driver/capsule! The HD 300 Pros sound very transparent and delicate. Even at low levels, detail still comes through. I do hope though, that with continued use, the overall sound will relax even more. It’s definitely not unpleasant. But I do enjoy the alluring relaxed sound of the Beyer DT250 which is over 20 years old in design but still fantastic!!

Finally, I am very glad that Sennheiser designed the HD 300 Pros to be used for broadcast rather than just studio mastering work. This is similar to the DT250s. For studio mastering and mixing, in my understanding, you often need a headphone that has accentuated treble and bass to help the engineer pick up errors in the recording. Our human ears are most sensitive to mid-range frequencies so they don’t need accentuating. But it helps if the lows and highs are.

But if the u-shaped response is repeated in broadcast headphones, especially if the bass bleeds into the mids, and the upper-mids and highs are strident, you can be sure that it will be most uncomfortable and unpleasant for the location technician!! So, I am happy to say that the highs are quite well-tamed in the HD 300 Pros even though I still prefer the highs on the DT250s.

Thanks for reading – hope you enjoyed it. As always, my views on the HD 300 Pro are personal and subjective. They are not meant to invalidate other differing opinions. Cheers!
Good read and good honest opinion. I've recently got the HD6 Mix and fell in love with them, great isolation and the sound quality is impressive! I would love to grab the HD300 based on what you've stated!

Jul 21, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #98 of 167
Thanks so much for your kind feedback, volly!

I haven’t tried it but glad you are enjoying your HD6 Mix!

Cheers!
cansman

Jul 21, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #99 of 167
The HD380 is not discontinued, and has its own unique signature. Flat mids and highs, recessed low mids and high bass, and a ridiculous sub bass elevation (it's like 5 db higher at 10 hz than it is at 20 hz) that makes them easily distort on really bass heavy material. If you like that sound, I think you can find these easily out there at major music retailers, just Google, I've seen them at only $99 in some places. The HD300 to me is closer to the HD280 in most ways. A similar horrible clamp you can't lighten up no matter how you try. Pads may be slightly thicker increasing isolation slightly. That boosts the bass and rolls off the highs as well.
HD380 has been discontinued, no doubts about it.
Flat mids and highs? It is common to see people complaining about piercing highs on HD380. HD380 is tuned for lower volume listening, and has boosted bass and treble to go with it.
The Urbanites are the ones that boast better mids and treble balance, especially the bigger XL over-ear version, then the on-ear has big "club bass" as advertised.

Jul 30, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #100 of 167
HD380 has been discontinued, no doubts about it.
Flat mids and highs? It is common to see people complaining about piercing highs on HD380. HD380 is tuned for lower volume listening, and has boosted bass and treble to go with it.
The Urbanites are the ones that boast better mids and treble balance, especially the bigger XL over-ear version, then the on-ear has big "club bass" as advertised.

How would the 300's compare to the 380 PRO's?
From reviews I understand the 280 PRO's are worse sounding than the 380's.

What about the ATH MSR7?

Aug 2, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #101 of 167
How would the 300's compare?
> To the 380 PRO <
The HD380 pro has a bit more high end detail, scooped mids, lacks upper bass and mid bass, making it sound thin, yet has a ridiculous low sub bass boost.
That distorts on bass heavy tracks because of it when played more than quietly. It's not a response practical for audiophile listening & studio work to my ear.

> From reviews I understand the 280 PRO's are worse sounding than the 380's. <
The 280 Pro has a little more high end, similar mids, and, due to it having less seal, bass isn't as boomy. 300 pads are slightly better. Same ridiculous clamp.
The 300 are a basically a much boomier version of their HD280 - with a little better ear pads and isolation. They could have done a lot better with these cans.

> What about the ATH MSR7? <
The ATH MSR7 has better high end detail, and that's all it has going for it. The high mids through the true mids are too forward and hard sounding in general.
They have less low mids, even less mid bass, and far less sub bass. They're not boomy or really lacking bass, which doesn't matter, the mids ruin everything.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #102 of 167
> To the 380 PRO <
The HD380 pro has a bit more high end detail, scooped mids, lacks upper bass and mid bass, making it sound thin, yet has a ridiculous low sub bass boost.
That distorts on bass heavy tracks because of it when played more than quietly. It's not a response practical for audiophile listening & studio work to my ear.

> From reviews I understand the 280 PRO's are worse sounding than the 380's. <
The 280 Pro has a little more high end, similar mids, and, due to it having less seal, bass isn't as boomy. 300 pads are slightly better. Same ridiculous clamp.
The 300 are a basically a much boomier version of their HD280 - with a little better ear pads and isolation. They could have done a lot better with these cans.

> What about the ATH MSR7? <
The ATH MSR7 has better high end detail, and that's all it has going for it. The high mids through the true mids are too forward and hard sounding in general.
They have less low mids, even less mid bass, and far less sub bass. They're not boomy or really lacking bass, which doesn't matter, the mids ruin everything.

Thank you for the detailed response.

The MSR7's would be modified with the larger pad mod (30mm depth), which dampen the mids, and boost the low's.

If you still have the HD300's, can you measure the (inner) length. width, and more importantly depth?
I email ed Sennheiser but they did not have the information.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #103 of 167
If you still have the HD300's, can you measure the (inner) length, width, and more importantly depth?

Sorry. I don't have those, I sent them back a long time ago. If you have a small to average head and don't mind clamp (the same clamp as an HD300 or less) for $100 or less open box or mint condition on eBay or maybe Amazon you might consider the Samson Z55. They sound better than all of the above only lacking low sub bass a little (similar to the MSR7 in sub bass). My head is too big for those (earcups don't extend far enough and intense clamp I can't fix by stretching out). The MSR7 fits okay but even with larger pads I still just don't like their sound.

I've settled on MassDrop Sennheiser HD59X for my open / bass light pair, and Shure SRH-1540 with Fostex AH-D7100 pads (only certain ones found on Amazon). Their stock pads were simply too small for my ears, and caused a treble spike. Brainwavz type pads were better (Monoprice has a cheap version that fits great) and while they're a bit smoother, they lost a bit of bass. For me the Fostex AH-D7100 aftermarket pads on Amazon (about $25) fit my ears perfectly, and smoothed the highs while keeping all the detail and extended their sub bass nicely.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #104 of 167
Sorry. I don't have those, I sent them back a long time ago. If you have a small to average head and don't mind clamp (the same clamp as an HD300 or less) for $100 or less open box or mint condition on eBay or maybe Amazon you might consider the Samson Z55. They sound better than all of the above only lacking low sub bass a little (similar to the MSR7 in sub bass). My head is too big for those (earcups don't extend far enough and intense clamp I can't fix by stretching out). The MSR7 fits okay but even with larger pads I still just don't like their sound.

I've settled on MassDrop Sennheiser HD59X for my open / bass light pair, and Shure SRH-1540 with Fostex AH-D7100 pads (only certain ones found on Amazon). Their stock pads were simply too small for my ears, and caused a treble spike. Brainwavz type pads were better (Monoprice has a cheap version that fits great) and while they're a bit smoother, they lost a bit of bass. For me the Fostex AH-D7100 aftermarket pads on Amazon (about $25) fit my ears perfectly, and smoothed the highs while keeping all the detail and extended their sub bass nicely.

Recently a buzz started coming out of driver of my HD380 pro's, which I solved by blowing some canned air, but it got me thinking if they break and they are no longer being sold what would be the options.
I asked about depth because in order for the drivers not to touch my ears, the pads need to be 28mm high, or over 24mm not be uncomfortable.

Those Shure's are a bit over budget.
Do you own the Samson's, or know what the pad dimensions are?

Aug 9, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #105 of 167
Do you own the Samson's, or know what the pad dimensions are?

The height and width of the Samson Z55 pads is similar to the HD280. They are a bit deeper, my ears are large but don't stick out and they did not touch the driver. They really need the pads they come with to sound right. I had tried 1/2 dozen other similar sized pads and only the stock Samson Z55 worked. All others messed up the sound. Just order them from Amazon as they have a good return policy if they don't work out for you ultimately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back