Sennheiser HD 280 pro thread
Aug 4, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #16 of 63
I really enjoy these cans as well. I've owned them for about two years I bought it for about 64$ on amazon. I came from Sennheiser HD 201 which I still use to play CSGO for some reason i prefer my HD201 a bit more for games.. I actually use my HD280 everyday for about 4-6 hours.. I've actually been saving up and thinking about buying a Fiio X3 or maybe just get a Fiio E6 for these and maybe upgrade my everyday headphones to either HD598 or dt770. Either way I love the Sennheiser HD 280 pro. it also seems to sit nice in my Datsun 280z

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #17 of 63
Derp, the cable is already detachable (if in a somewhat inconvenient style), there was no real need for a 3.5mm detachment mod.

Well, one could buy a replacement HD5x5 cable to replace the stock cable if a coiled cable isn't desired, it seems.

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #18 of 63
Derp, the cable is already detachable (if in a somewhat inconvenient style), there was no real need for a 3.5mm detachment mod.

Well, one could buy a replacement HD5x5 cable to replace the stock cable if a coiled cable isn't desired, it seems.

It's still a good lookin mod!  
cool.gif

And much more convenient that tearing open the cups just to detach the cable. I would find it quite useful to quickly remove and reattach the cable, especially when stuffing the headphones into a backpack.

I personally like the coils cable. I think the strain relief has saved a lot of wear and tear on my connectors when I get up and try and walk away while still tethered to whatever audio device I'm plugged into!

Cheers

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #19 of 63
I just needed to replace my HD 201s but decided to get the 280 to try it out.

So here I am listening to the HD 280s. First thing I noticed is that they have a good amount of bass, but not so much as to overpower the rest of the music. I think the bass could be toned down a little bit, but not too much. 

The cool thing to me is that they have a chunky yet textured sound similar to the HD 201, but slightly more balanced. I say slightly because while the mid range is way more balanced than the 201 set, the bass is tuned just barely too high on the low end. Overall, the sound is way bigger and more dynamic while still being textured enough (mid to treble range).

In some ways sounds are clearer on the 280 set, but sometimes not as much. Little sounds like the button press sounds in the League of Legends client sound a little more distant and muddy than I am used to. 

I thought I would just listen to these, dislike them, then return them as I do with most headphones I try, but I might actually keep the HD 280s. The only thing that will get me to return is that the bass is a bit more than I want. I mean like, only a few decibels too high. 

If anyone could recommend a Sennheiser pair with the same sound signature but slightly less deep bass, I would recommend it.

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #20 of 63
All Sennheiser sets above HD280 have stronger midbass and a bit less low bass.  They are all bassy.

I think you will be happiest with the M-Audio HDH50.  You seem to want its kind of sound, which no closed-back Sennheiser achieves.  Very, very balanced, great clarity, although rather upfront, more than even HD280.

Aug 28, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #21 of 63
So something just clicked.

I played some Meshuggah with the HD 280. First Future Breed Machine and then Don't Look Down. I tried to hold them back, but I actually shed some tears. And then when Don't Look Down came on, I full on cried while telling myself it was so ******** beautiful. I could not believe how good it sounded. Metal music sounds so natural yet still very powerful with these headphones. And then I tried the HD 201, and it sounded like garbage (the set I've used and loved for five years). And I have listened to expensive headphones, including some over $500. I'm not a big open phone guy so while the HD 800 sounded great, it just wasn't my thing. I sure like the HD 280 more than the Beyer DT770. But up to this point the HD 201 always sounded great as more expensive pairs I tried just didn't capture what I loved about metal. The 280 Pro DOES capture that.

The M-Audios are too expensive. I Got the HD 280 for $100, which I think is worth it. This is my new headset. The sound is exactly what I want. It is an extension on what I already love about the HD 201. Just beautiful. 

I will still keep the HD 201 for certain cases. I watch ASMR videos and sometimes I may want the clearer sound from the HD 201. People say that all Sennheiser headphones have a veil, but that doesn't apply to the HD 201. It is a very dry, clear sounding headset. But I liked it for metal because the freq. response favors putting guitars up front. The HD 280 is definitely better for music in most cases, based on what I've listened to so far.

But I do wonder, if the more vibrant and dynamic sound is just due to the deep bass hump smoothing out things, or better drivers? Or both? Or maybe it is also the fact that the mid range is flatter, while the HD 201 rolls off hard under 1000Hz. I do know that bass tends to smooth out upper range textures. Either way, I'm happy with both these sets. 280 new go to for all metal. 201 for specific things.

Edit: I read that the phones become punchier through burn in. That is a bit unfortunate as I find them punchy enough already.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #22 of 63
I'm wondering if anyone has had problems/tips to deal with with the clamping force on the HD280pro? I bought them almost 6 years ago as my first 'not ****ty' headphone, but I've had major problems with them being too tight (with that said I have a pretty big head) and giving me headaches after an hour or two. I've tried stretching the headband out, but it didn't really work..
I liked their sound with punchy treble and mids along with a decent bass, but they've been more or less put to pasture in favor of my m-50's.. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #23 of 63
Who knows.  Bend the headband too much and will probably start to crack if it already hasn't despite your big head.

Swap your M50's earpads with HD280's and you will forget about HD280. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #24 of 63
  Who knows.  Bend the headband too much and will probably start to crack if it already hasn't despite your big head.

Swap your M50's earpads with HD280's and you will forget about HD280. 
biggrin.gif

:p I picked up a pair of velour pads for my m50's. I just can't stand the feel of pleather after a couple hours. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #25 of 63
Is this thread still alive?? haha. Anyway, I'm thinking of buying  these 280 pro's or the Audio technica ath m30x. Can anyone please compare the sound quality and also the durability of both? Please and thank you!!!

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #28 of 63
  Thanks for the suggestion!! But between the two, just so i know, 280 pro or m30x(sq and build quality)? thanks! :)

Used to own the 280 but never heard the 30x. The only true advantage the 280 has over anything in its price range is its famously high isolation. Otherwise the sound is fairly average, rolled off, and cupped-handsy. If I heard the 30x I'd have more to tell you.

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #30 of 63
HD280 is probably better-sounding than M30x, I like M40x better than HD280.  With HM5 pads it has the best tonal balance of those ATH monitors, better than the M50x even, but only in balance.  Durability is probably better on both M30x and M40x as HD280 is notoriously known for headband cracking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back