Sennheiser HD 25-1 II with Mic
Jan 22, 2010 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Lace'd Taste

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been roaming around on Head-fi for over a year now and this will be my first thread so I will apologise now if this question has already been asked (I've searched the forums and can't find anything.)

I was recently on "i-am-bored.com" and i came across this image (attached) and if you ignore the man's beard you will notice he's wearing what looks like the Sennheiser HD25-1 II (or the sp model - I'm not to sure) with a mic. If you look closely at the cable running from the headphones you can see it's three wires and I'm guessing terminates to a 4pole 3.5mm jack. Does anyone know where i can buy this cable/ mic combo? I play a lot of competative gaming and I love my HD25-1 II's so this little bundle would be perfect for me.

I can't find anything on the Sennheiser website so maybe it's a third party part.

Anyone with any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Jayson

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 13
Just what i was looking for - thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 13
Yes... indeed. TSN (the Canadian sports network) uses HD-25-1 II's a lot. About as pro as you can get for broadcasting cans, I assume. Sound pretty sweet, too, and built to last forever.

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lace'd Taste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I've been roaming around on Head-fi for over a year now and this will be my first thread so I will apologise now if this question has already been asked (I've searched the forums and can't find anything.)

I was recently on "i-am-bored.com" and i came across this image (attached) and if you ignore the man's beard you will notice he's wearing what looks like the Sennheiser HD25-1 II (or the sp model - I'm not to sure) with a mic. If you look closely at the cable running from the headphones you can see it's three wires and I'm guessing terminates to a 4pole 3.5mm jack. Does anyone know where i can buy this cable/ mic combo? I play a lot of competative gaming and I love my HD25-1 II's so this little bundle would be perfect for me.

I can't find anything on the Sennheiser website so maybe it's a third party part.

Anyone with any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Jayson

It's an HMD 25-1 headset with dynamic mic.

It's pretty well the industry standard for sports commentating (certainly in the UK it is).

Details HERE.

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #7 of 13
I think I saw the sports broadcast version for sale at thomann a while ago, but the price was very high compared to a regular hd 25.
I think you better off buying a random boom mic and sticking it on you hd25.

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I saw the sports broadcast version for sale at thomann a while ago, but the price was very high compared to a regular hd 25.

The HMD 25-1 is a little over double the price of an HD 25-1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you better off buying a random boom mic and sticking it on you hd25.

No - it may be cheaper but you would *not* be better off. Good microphones cost money, just like good headphones.

And headphones are cheap compared to microphones.

I have microphones over triple the price of my HD 800s. My pair of MKH 800 microphones are over £6,000 for a pair - the HD 800 headphones are cheap at only £1,000 a pair.
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 13
Cheers for the help lads. I've given Sennheiser an email to see weather they just do the cable/ mic. It says it can be transferred from both left and right ear-cup so i can't see why it wouldn't fit my HD25s and if it didn't well.......I have a hammer
bigsmile_face.gif

I'll let you know the outcome.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 13
im guessing there wasnt an outcome to finding an addon for my senns either?

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #12 of 13
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/professional-headsets-dynamic-microphone-closed-headphones_500605

MSRP is $719. Pretty steep, but consider businesses can write off theset types of things, so they are much more expensive for consumers. Some sites have them listed under $400.

http://www.google.com/search?q=s+HMD25ennheiser&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:xf_eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#q=sennheiser+HMD25&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=9eo&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:xf_eek:fficial&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=n59OTsa9G-eNsQK3qZS-Bg&ved=0CFcQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=68d0a0b7d04b6842&biw=1920&bih=960

I love these headphones and if I didn't already have a dedicated microphone, I would have bought the HMDs. They are the standard for sports broadcasting, traditional and e-sports.

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 13
Sorry for digging up a very old thread here, but I was googling today and this was one of the first hits - so I figured others could benefit from my discoveries.

TL;DR, you would be better off buying a brand new set of HMD-25's as it would be prohibitively expensive to buy the parts needed to convert HD-25's using spare parts only. Sad face.

I own a pair of HD-25's-

and was looking, much like this OP, into converting them into HMD-25's-

I called Syntec, Australia's spare parts service dealer for Sennheiser and talked to one of their service reps. I asked if it were a viable option to buy the parts to convert the 25's into HMD-25's by buying the boom-arm mic and the ear capsule to connect it - and in a nutshell, it isn't. The cost of the boom-mic alone in Australia is $580 to purchase as a spare part - and there are other fittings you need to buy also, around 30-40 dollars each. In the end ityll cost you around $600-650 to convert a pair of HD-25's (non mic) into HMD-25's (mic), and considering the AUD retail of HMD-25's alone is around $875-900 dollars - it's simply not a viable option, in my mind. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back