Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii vs Sennheiser Amperior vs Beyerdynamic DT-1350 vs Aiaiai TMA-1 vs Allen and Heath Xone XD2-53
Oct 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

moolaa98988

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade from my Bose On-Ear Headphones to something better. 

I mostly listen to Progressive House and Electronic music but also to pop, rock, R'n'b and hip hop, as well as some blues on the odd occasion.

My first thought was to go for the HD 25's but could I justify spending the extra money on the amperiors or the DT-1350's? Is the sound significantly better?

Also, would any require an amp to run at decent levels on my phone and tablet? 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #2 of 12
I'd go with the HD25s. They're a major step up from the Bose. They sound damn good with everything I throw at them. A really lively sounding headphone that gives the music loads of energy. Detailed, well executed, punchy bass, bright highs, clear mids. 

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 12
I actually just bought both pairs and received them today. I am gonna sell the one I dont like here in a few days. After a couple hours of listening thought the amperiors are more lively/fun/energetic sounding just like everyone says. It kinda more in your face and the bass seems punchier. The dt1350 seems a little more laid back but a little more detailed, bass seems like it goes lower a little but doesnt have that punch the amperiors have but still very good. I really wanted the dt1350 to be better but I think the amperiors are going to be the ones I keep. We will see here in a few more days.

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 12
After more listening Ive decided to keep the DT1350's. They have more detail and will be better for the broad range of music I listen to. I am selling the amperiors. They are 1 day old. Here is the thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/631041/less-than-1-day-old-sennheiser-amperior

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 12
Hi- Let me know if you have any further insights on these headphones, and whether you are using an amp and/or DAC.

after reading everything I can find on Head-Fi, I'm also left trying to make the decision between the Sennheiser Amperior vs Beyerdynamic DT-1350.

I'm looking for audiophile sound quality while traveling on airplanes (I have an audiophile home speaker setup). Currently, I have my iPod hooked up to IEMs for travel, but would like to upgrade. Possibilities include either the Amperiors or DT-1350s hooked up to my iPod vs going with either headphones with a portable headphone amp or DAC/headphone amp. If I can get great sound out of just one of the mentioned headphones, I'd certainly prefer to not add the complexity of another powered device.

I enjoy a broad array of music, from Rock, Acoustic rock to modern folk music... with some electronic/dance/pop thrown in.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Dan

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 12
Hi- Let me know if you have any further insights on these headphones, and whether you are using an amp and/or DAC.

after reading everything I can find on Head-Fi, I'm also left trying to make the decision between the Sennheiser Amperior vs Beyerdynamic DT-1350.

I'm looking for audiophile sound quality while traveling on airplanes (I have an audiophile home speaker setup). Currently, I have my iPod hooked up to IEMs for travel, but would like to upgrade. Possibilities include either the Amperiors or DT-1350s hooked up to my iPod vs going with either headphones with a portable headphone amp or DAC/headphone amp. If I can get great sound out of just one of the mentioned headphones, I'd certainly prefer to not add the complexity of another powered device.

I enjoy a broad array of music, from Rock, Acoustic rock to modern folk music... with some electronic/dance/pop thrown in.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Dan

I just ordered the Amperior today after spending about two hours with them at the Apple store. Amazing for such a small portable headphone! I also spent some time with the DT-1350 and Momentum at other shops. No comparison really, the Amperior were far superior. Very natural and nicely balanced. Detail and clarity were first class. I couldn't find any music in my collection that could trip them up. The DT-1350 sounded very thin, congested and ocassionally a bit nasally in the vocals. Their whole presentation felt "closed in", if that makes any sense. Clarity and detail was very good though. The Momentum was a little better than the DT-1350, but suffers from the usual "over emphasized" bass that seems to plague most phones these days. As a result, most of the mid and treble range sounds somewhat veiled to me. Not nearly as veiled as the majority of phones, but still veiled nonetheless. The Amperior was by far the most comfortable as well, at least for me anyway.

Funny enough, out of all the portable headphones that I listened to in the last few days, some 10 or so, the only other unit that really impressed me a lot was the HD 25-1 ii. I ultimately preferred the Amperior for the slightly warmer presentation and less fatiguing treble.

Btw, both of these headphones will sound great straight out of your iPod. I did all of my testing with lossless FLAC files out of my Galaxy Note 2. That being said, the Note 2 does come with a very good Wolfson DAC inside, which I'm sure makes a significant difference.

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #8 of 12
I've not been able to audition the HD25-1 II but really interested in them. I purchased and returned a set of Amperiors as I found the bass a little too boomy for me. I already have a pair of DT1350s but am having a love/hate battle with them. Just find them a little too clinical and mids too forward most of the time.

I'd like to try the HD25s if someone can confirm they don't have the same bass boom and mid bass hump of the Amperiors.

Please help me find portable perfection.

Source: Unamped DX100 or Walkman Z mostly... Sometimes iPhone 5.
Music: Everything from Classical through Smooth Jazz to Rock and even some Country... Not much Pop. Hence I don't need the Bass to bump me out of my chair.

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #9 of 12
Have you considered the Sennheiser Momentum?
They don't have the midbass hump.
I find they sound great with jazz, rock, and pretty much everything.
You do need smallish ears for them to be perfect.

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #10 of 12
Nice phones... I have tried them but while easy to listen to and comfortable, they were too big for what I'm looking for. Already have full size phones for home and the case on Momentums is too big for my brief case and airplane seat pockets. I even considered the HD25 SP II since the cups fold flat but can't see these being any better than B&W P5 which I'm travelling with at the moment and aren't too bad except for the treble roll off.

Found a shop that has the HD25-1 II in stock and usually allows returns so will probably pick up a pair but I don't want to waste their time if the bass is too alike the Amperiors.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #12 of 12
Must say, that's not what I feel is the case.... I finally got to listen to some HD25 IIs today. The shop I went to had a set on their audition rack. While I couldn't A/B them with Amperiors, I have a pretty good recollection of their sound from listening to them for a week and the HD25 has far less bass emphasis then their sibling. None of that mid bass hump i heard in the Amperiors. Much less warm than Momentums too; which I did A/B today.

Not to say they are lacking bass; in fact I now understand why these phones have such a following. They really have just the right level across all frequencies. I can see why some find the treble very lively. I hope I won't find it tiring like them, but as I'm a bit older, my high frequency hearing is just a bit off these days so a bit more treble compensates for that. If anything, I find the mids just a little recessed compared to my DT1350s but sound more neutral in that regard to me. And the DTs do reach a little lower in bass but with less quantity so they end up sounding more clinical and not the fun sound of the HD25s.

I like them a lot. So much so, I purchased a pair and have been listening to them as I burn them in. Gosh, Coldplay sound good on these; Mark Knopfler too.

I've actually now ended up with a set each of HD25 IIs, DT1350s, B&W P5s and I did purchase a set of Momentums after listening to them today too. Now I need to decide what ones I will sell...that's not going to be easy. Might clear out a set of IEMs too. Damn this hobby can be expensive...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back