Sennheiser HD-202 vs. HD-203
Jun 2, 2011 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AndreiKuznetsov

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone!

I'm a budding audiophile who is currently shopping for a good starting pair of headphones. I have some decent-for-the-price Sony MDR-150's, but I think it's time to kick things up a notch and I've been told that Sennheiser is the way to go.

However, in exploring and doing some research, I find myself stumped as to whether or not to purchase either the Senn. HD-202 or the HD-203. In reading the reviews, I have read nothing but good stuff about both models (in equal amounts), and I have had a few friends rave about the HD-202's as being better than some of the best cans you can buy under $200. Unfortunately, none of my friends have experience with the HD-203's, so that's why I'm coming to you guys. Here are the factors I need for deciding:

Musical Tastes: Everything, (and I mean EVERYTHING), but my core ones are:
-Classical (esp. Medieval/Renaissance)
-Industrial (mainly EBM, Aggrotech, Futurepop)
-Black Metal
-Gothic Rock/Darkwave
-Synthpop/New Wave

Specs:
-Should be closed sound, people shouldn't be able to hear what I'm listening to
-Relatively comfortable, appearance doesn't matter

So what'll it be? 202, or 203? Thank in advance for y'all's help!

-------------------------
(as an aside, if you guys known of an even better set of cans that fit my specifications that are under $150, I'd love to know... I looked at the Senn. HD-580's, but they were open air!)

Nov 27, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 3
I have both of these and I find the HD-202's sound better. I bought the HD-203's because someone on amazon reviewed them and said they were clearer (less veiled) in the mids and highs. I have not found this to be the case, in fact I think the HD-202's sound clearer to me. The HD-203's sound pretty bad actually. If you're looking for something cheap, check out the JVC HARx700's or HARX-900's, they got some great reviews and are very moddable. If you have $150 to blow and you're not a total basshead the ATH-M50's will pretty much be the best all around unamped closed can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back