Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Aug 17, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #1,261 of 1,519
Not at all aimed at you, but a previous poster.

I'm not talking about keeping the perfectly still, I'm talking about not having to turn your head left and right to scan the monitor, most people have eyes that will do this for them. :)

To me when some of these arguments regarding the benefits of the Mobius is like coming up with a solution for a problem that never existed (in reference to competitive FPS and positional cue accuracy)

HT with software might improve the HRTF which might be a nicer experience, still not convinced it will be a game changer in terms of positional cue accuracy, Nor do I see the technology fixing a problem for competitive FPS gamers, it's not like they have to sit extremely still because they will be thrown off by just moving their head a couple of mm.

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #1,262 of 1,519
Not at all aimed at you, but a previous poster.

I'm not talking about keeping the perfectly still, I'm talking about not having to turn your head left and right to scan the monitor, most people have eyes that will do this for them. :)

To me when some of these arguments regarding the benefits of the Mobius is like coming up with a solution for a problem that never existed (in reference to competitive FPS and positional cue accuracy)

HT with software might improve the HRTF which might be a nicer experience, still not convinced it will be a game changer in terms of positional cue accuracy, Nor do I see the technology fixing a problem for competitive FPS gamers, it's not like they have to sit extremely still because they will be thrown off by just moving their head a couple of mm.
We will receive lots of opinions about the Mobius soon. I will receive one too. I ordered it because I welcome technical progress and like to give it a try myself. And the price I did pay is not too high for a little chance to be positive surprised. But as I am just a casual gamer I only want more immersion. Let's see how that goes.

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #1,263 of 1,519
OK time for a dumb question. Are there products that let you input HDMI to your PC, decode Dolby Digital or DTS to PCM 5.1 that your PC could then output via USB to the GSX? Or alternatively some product that takes 6 channels (5.1) decoded from, say, a receiver out, and converts it to USB?

Aug 19, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #1,264 of 1,519
OK time for a dumb question. Are there products that let you input HDMI to your PC, decode Dolby Digital or DTS to PCM 5.1 that your PC could then output via USB to the GSX? Or alternatively some product that takes 6 channels (5.1) decoded from, say, a receiver out, and converts it to USB?
Why not use the pc as your source. I mean mine has a Blu-ray player plus Power DVD software. Thus I can feed the multi channel signal to the GSX. The video can also feed a TV if you want. Atmos movies sound great using the Atmos plugin. The you put the GSX to 2 channel.

Aug 19, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #1,265 of 1,519

I think this is a GREAT question, not dumb at all.

While it is easy enough to just use a PC as a source, there are some games exclusive to consoles. I would also like some software to do this, a piece of hardware with great performance, or best of all a program made for a Raspberry Pi so it can be cheaply powered and easily transported (no need to turn on a whole gaming PC just for audio transcoding). I believe it’s even possible to pass 7.1 LPCM though HDMI without encoding, the main issue is copyright protection, and possibly latency.

I think the simplest solution to something like this, available now, might be a game capture card, one example being an Elgato HD60 S, but then you would still need some kind of full computer to connect to. A Mac mini might be the most efficient option, because Windows minimum requirements are much higher (need a discrete GPU) and Minis are only about $300 on the used market, and can serve as a dedicated home theater/music server PC to be left near your TV. Is the multi functionality of the Elgato and Mac worth the simple but expensive solution? That’s up to the individual to decide, but it’s a frustrating situation nonetheless that console USB ports are intentionally crippled by the manufacturers. If anyone else knows of an even better solution, I’d be delighted to hear about it.

Aug 19, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #1,266 of 1,519
I think this is a GREAT question, not dumb at all.

While it is easy enough to just use a PC as a source, there are some games exclusive to consoles. I would also like some software to do this, a piece of hardware with great performance, or best of all a program made for a Raspberry Pi so it can be cheaply powered and easily transported (no need to turn on a whole gaming PC just for audio transcoding). I believe it’s even possible to pass 7.1 LPCM though HDMI without encoding, the main issue is copyright protection, and possibly latency.

I think the simplest solution to something like this, available now, might be a game capture card, one example being an Elgato HD60 S, but then you would still need some kind of full computer to connect to. A Mac mini might be the most efficient option, because Windows minimum requirements are much higher (need a discrete GPU) and Minis are only about $300 on the used market, and can serve as a dedicated home theater/music server PC to be left near your TV. Is the multi functionality of the Elgato and Mac worth the simple but expensive solution? That’s up to the individual to decide, but it’s a frustrating situation nonetheless that console USB ports are intentionally crippled by the manufacturers. If anyone else knows of an even better solution, I’d be delighted to hear about it.

Yeah I was looking at it for console jerry-rigging purposes. Definitely not cost effective, really. More of a "can I do it" idea. My search also led me to capture cards but I've never used one. Can they operate like a receiver in that they let you then output the decoded multichannel audio over USB if you want?

If you already had a receiver doing the decoding, a little device that simply took all those channels from the receiver and re-digitized it via USB would be nifty. You could then use any of these various VSS devices for consoles regardless of their Dolby or DTS licensing. (Although as you point out, cost and time wise it doesn't make much sense other than as a proof of concept)

Sep 6, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,267 of 1,519
hi everyone,

so i got my GSX1200 today (got it 1€ cheaper than the GSX1000) but i have some problems with it.
First i had it plugged in a USB 3.0 port and tried to set it up but i couldn´t change volume or any settings on the GSX1200.
So i thought to myself i will just try it with a USB 2.0 port and it worked, i could controll volume without a problem and the other settings seemed to do what they have to do.
Now for the quick setup in windows, so i go into my playback devies, choose the GSX 1200 Pro Main Audio and click configure.
Here i choose 7.1 Surround and press Test and get the Error Message "failed to play test tone".
If i just go ahead and finish the setup i have no more sound until i go back to Stereo.

TL;DR : When i try to set my GSX1200 to 7.1 Surround in Windows i get the Error "failed to play test tone"

Anyone got a fix for this?

EDIT : i think i found it out, it´s a problem with my mainboards USB, no idea why but i have 1 external USB that is included in my Card Reader and there it works fine.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #1,268 of 1,519
hi everyone,

so i got my GSX1200 today (got it 1€ cheaper than the GSX1000) but i have some problems with it.
First i had it plugged in a USB 3.0 port and tried to set it up but i couldn´t change volume or any settings on the GSX1200.
So i thought to myself i will just try it with a USB 2.0 port and it worked, i could controll volume without a problem and the other settings seemed to do what they have to do.
Now for the quick setup in windows, so i go into my playback devies, choose the GSX 1200 Pro Main Audio and click configure.
Here i choose 7.1 Surround and press Test and get the Error Message "failed to play test tone".
If i just go ahead and finish the setup i have no more sound until i go back to Stereo.

TL;DR : When i try to set my GSX1200 to 7.1 Surround in Windows i get the Error "failed to play test tone"

Anyone got a fix for this?

EDIT : i think i found it out, it´s a problem with my mainboards USB, no idea why but i have 1 external USB that is included in my Card Reader and there it works fine.
If its not that, it will be because you have it in 24bit & 7.1, has to be 16bit for 7.1 (Source). you can 16/24bit & just hit 7.1 on the device (for 44.1/48hz But not 96hz) that works... Kinda but not as intended.

You Also really need to have the USB powering it to not be overloaded with connections, Easy way to tell if you are over 20~30 on the volume you have to much power being drawn by other devices/keyboard/mouse. Unless of course high ohm e.t.c. headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #1,272 of 1,519
I checked and mine is also doing the same now :frowning2: I just changed it back I will restart and see if it remains on 7.1. We had a bug like this on another Windows build also *** Microsoft.
On my rig windows just randomly decides to set it to 24b/stereo after a couple of reboots. Also if i check the configuration and hit cancel instead of next, next, next.

Oct 7, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #1,273 of 1,519
I checked and mine is also doing the same now :frowning2: I just changed it back I will restart and see if it remains on 7.1. We had a bug like this on another Windows build also *** Microsoft.

Can I confirm that the way to check is to click configure and see whether stereo or 7.1 is highlighted (along with the speakers images)? If that's the case so is mine on Windows 10.

Oct 7, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #1,274 of 1,519
It happened to me also with Eclaro PCIE card. so it's not just the GSX . for me what fixed it is when installing the Windows 1809 october made my Nvidia HDMI Audio Driver to 2017 dated driver even when I installed the newest after.... so what you need to do is manually uninstall the NVidia HDMI Audio driver and install the new one . if you need help how without installing the whole driver tell me . you could just get clean version with just minimum drivers from guru3d Nvidia Clean drivers , search in google . and don't do manually , let it search from the folder.

This fixed for me after 2 restart , so just an idea .

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #1,275 of 1,519
I know this is a weird question, but did someone compared this to the ifi Nano?

It is a lot cheaper here in my locale and I am wondering if they will perform the same or no. (7.1 is out of the picture, of course)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back