Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Jan 28, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #976 of 1,519
Confirming that you only think a games has 3d audio, only if there is an option to visible in the settings menu to check......./facepalm.

That is a problem, the whole industry is confused as to what 3d audio means. Thats why people like you are so caught up in the technical specs, rather then what their ears hear. Thats why people like you are gullible enough to buy something like the gsx, you care more about marketing labels, then the actual sounds themselves.

You are the one who said that you can't make 3d sound if the source doesn't have any. What you mean to say is they support it. lmao. As I've said, just like every modern pc also does. But as those ps4 reddit bf1 players say, "you need good speaker setup or "good" headphones for the 5.1 setting. They are not using the "special" headphones... He didn't say only if you have these "special" headphones.... In fact most ps4 users say they are crap. But there you go again, eating up marketing scams.

I explained to you how the game zeros proved you don't need "special" headphones to get surround sound. Most onboard audio drivers do the job. Which is a better option since these "special" headphones sound cheap and low quality, and their vss software is poor.

The sennheiser gaming headphones would be better for the ps4.

I suggest you go back and read what i wrote a couple hundred of times, maybe THEN you'll start to understand. Also the links i posted, especially the vid by microsoft devs. There isn't a single person here who agrees with you, you should take the clue. I feel like i'm talking to a flat earther/anti-vaxxer/chemtrail chaser.

Jan 28, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #978 of 1,519
Could a USB splitter be used? Toslink to USB converter on 1 side?

Jan 28, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #980 of 1,519
I suggest you go back and read what i wrote a couple hundred of times, maybe THEN you'll start to understand. Also the links i posted, especially the vid by microsoft devs. There isn't a single person here who agrees with you, you should take the clue. I feel like i'm talking to a flat earther/anti-vaxxer/chemtrail chaser.
I just took the time to watch the Microsoft video. It explains very good, that since the creators upgrade last spring, the use of sonic for Windows or Dolby Atmos for Windows gives 3D sound for headphones, with hight and depths sound that the game engines provide anyways. Only you need to disable the virtual surround on your respective sound device. Really everyone discussing here should watch the video. Even if it renders the Sennheiser virtual surround software useless.

Jan 28, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #981 of 1,519
Even if it renders the Sennheiser virtual surround software useless.

I would be glad if it did, but sadly it doesn't really work as it should, mostly because there's no "handshake" happening between atmos/sonic and the games. But it does explain how the tech works in general and the limitation of the usual HRTF downmixing of surround.

Jan 28, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #982 of 1,519
I would be glad if it did, but sadly it doesn't really work as it should, mostly because there's no "handshake" happening between atmos/sonic and the games. But it does explain how the tech works in general and the limitation of the usual HRTF downmixing of surround.
Oh I had a short session in Black Ops III tonight. Atmos on GSX on stereo. I think the 3D works quite good. But object based mono signals would work better. I will do more testing with other games. I mean in Wildlands it is hard to spot a heli based on sound only.

Jan 31, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #984 of 1,519
I just took the time to watch the Microsoft video. It explains very good, that since the creators upgrade last spring, the use of sonic for Windows or Dolby Atmos for Windows gives 3D sound for headphones, with hight and depths sound that the game engines provide anyways. Only you need to disable the virtual surround on your respective sound device. Really everyone discussing here should watch the video. Even if it renders the Sennheiser virtual surround software useless.

It also puts your windows audio settings to stereo... and needs the game to support it. I've tried the atmos for headphones and it did not do much of anything diff then sonic for windows. How good is it compared to audio engines some aaa titles already have, if the game actually supports? who knows....

I guess you would have to compare overwatch with it and without it.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #985 of 1,519
It also puts your windows audio settings to stereo... and needs the game to support it. I've tried the atmos for headphones and it did not do much of anything diff then sonic for windows. How good is it compared to audio engines some aaa titles already have, if the game actually supports? who knows....

I guess you would have to compare overwatch with it and without it.

It doesn't need to be "compatble", it just requires the game to output a surround signal (which is another problem), just like the GSX or any other VSS (yes like windows sonic too). It frickin' says so in the the vid, WATCH IT! The main difference with the one directly baked into overwatch is that it's already part of the game's sound engine.

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #986 of 1,519
So does Dolby Atmos Headphones add height and other details compare to the GSX or not ? Will it gives better performance over the GSX in the same games ?

Just simple question , I just want to decide if to buy the Dolby Atmos because they added support for some new games like Rise of the Tomb Raider and many others.

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #987 of 1,519
So does Dolby Atmos Headphones add height and other details compare to the GSX or not ?

It doesn't and it does. It does it when it's directly baked into a game (only overwatch at this moment), but then you don't have to pay for it. And it doesn't because it uses the surround output from the games, which doesn't include the elevation. And games don't output surround in general if they can't see at least a 5.1 device set in windows...

Do not mistake dolby atmos for headphones with dolby atmos. One is a virtual surround solution while the other is for compatible decoders that can manage up to 34 speakers and require a dolby atmos track (with only a couple of games capable of encoding one).

Will it gives better performance over the GSX in the same games ?

I don't know, it might, if it actually worked as intended. The one in Overwatch does give you a better sense of direction (because of elevation) but the quality is a bit below the gsx (sounds more metallic with a bit of reverb).

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #988 of 1,519
So does Dolby Atmos Headphones add height and other details compare to the GSX or not ? Will it gives better performance over the GSX in the same games ?

Just simple question , I just want to decide if to buy the Dolby Atmos because they added support for some new games like Rise of the Tomb Raider and many others.

It cant add something that isn't there. For regualr games that support surround, Sonic/Atmos will convert up to 7.1.4.4 to Virtual surround.
But both Atmos and Sonic (especially Sonic) support Object audio, Atmos supports up to 16 objects and Sonic up to 112 objects, object audio is real 3D audio, it treats sound as objects in space instead of channels.

The main difference between the two is that Atmos can take Atmos signal in games or bluray and output to Atmos receiver/decoder.
Initially I was also afraid that Sonic/Atmos dont support 5.1/7.1 decoding because in windows settings when you choose them, the speakers set to stereo BUT i googled for Microsoft tech paper and found out that when you choose the Turn on 7.1 check mark in the settings it lets windows "know" that this device supports up to 7.1
Basically its the same thing as if you chose actual 7.1 from speaker settings, I guess it was done to simplify the process.

Everybody that interested in Virtual Audio should read this tech page.
Basically MS is not doing us a service by not advertising these options: People still buy virtual surround sound decoders/headphones for windows/xbox while there is no need at all.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #989 of 1,519
It doesn't and it does. It does it when it's directly baked into a game (only overwatch at this moment), but then you don't have to pay for it. And it doesn't because it uses the surround output from the games, which doesn't include the elevation. And games don't output surround in general if they can't see at least a 5.1 device set in windows...

The “Turn on 7.1 virtual surround sound” (Windows) or “Use virtual surround in apps” (Xbox) checkbox allows all existing applications that were capable of rendering to 5.1 or 7.1 channel formats to now treat headphones as a virtual 7.1 device. Content that previously would have only been heard in multichannel via a multichannel home theater, and which would have utilized a linear downmix over headphones, can now be virtualized (using the format specified in the dropdown) and heard over any pair of stereo headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back