Sennheiser debuts a bunch of new headphones at IFA
Mar 28, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #481 of 520
Anyone actually compare the HD579/599 with either of the HD558/598? Yeah yeah yeah, this replaces that, that replaces this. I've read that this entire thread but nobody has yet to have them both in their hand at the same time to compare yet. Anyone do this yet? 

I autoquote my previous post

I have my HD599 and I've made some brief listening. 

Given that the HD599 is not burned-in, the difference with my HD598 is at the same time subtle and significative, and, funny and "induced" as it can seems, it's almost exactly what the numbering suggests. A step toward the HD600 without loosing the more open sound tipical of the HD59x heritage.

The HD599 has a thinner but equally comfortable padding at the top, and clamps a little bit more than the HD598. But comfortable as always.

First sound impressions in A/B with the HD598, listening to Paul Simon's Graceland, Orff's Carmina Burana and Holst's Planets:

- The Hd599 seems more focused and a tad less airy than the Hd598.
- The Hd599 has lost the somewhat "cheesy" mid/mid-high of the Hd598, for a more correct and competent timbre in this important region
- The bass of the Hd599 seems resonate less than the Hd598, in the good meaning of this: the structure of the headphone seems less prone to resonate and dissipate energy, the bass is more focused and delinated.
- Listening to cymbals and triangle in the Carmina Burana (Decca/Chailly), for me it's clear that the Hd599 has more resolving power, where the Hd598 in comparison is more confused.

More listening in the next days, but it's not the same headphone, there are improvements, the improvements are at first subtle, but to me it seems an important fine tuning of the Hd598, to a "classier" and overall better sound. Maybe the fascinating "airiness" of the Hd598 is a little bit less present in the Hd599, but the overall sound seems to me clearly better.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #482 of 520
Pay attention when comparing these headphones, amp output impedance makes great difference!

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #483 of 520
Apr 17, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #485 of 520
Weird question but can the padding of the headband on the HD599 be removed?

PU leather + hot weather = sweat city :mad:.

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #486 of 520
Got to try the HD599 and the HD569 on two separate occasions, here's my impressions.
Keep in mind, I used to own the HD598 (liked it, but not my personal preference) and all testing were demos through laptop > Wasapi Event > Fiio Q1 DAC (high gain).

HD599:
-  Just about as comfortable as remember HD598 being, but headband padding is still a bit too thick
-  Bass is fuller than HD598, with more mid-bass and upper-bass heft. I did complain about the HD598 lacking extension below upper-bass region, but I personally feel the HD599 sounded a bit too boomy.
-  Mids are perceived to be smoother, more even, and more bodied than HD598 based on memory. Do note, however, that bass did seem to bleed into mid-range, which could've also coloured my perception.
-  Overall sound is definitely more cohesive overall, but I do feel that the HD598 is more likable. The HD599, while improved particularly in bass extension, mid-range evenness, and treble control, was not as "magical" as its predecessor. HD598, in simple terms, sounded more different. HD599 sounds like it really could be any other headphone (technically superior isn't necessarily always more subjectively enjoyable).
-  One more point is that in Singapore, the retail prices for the HD599 are extremely close to discount prices available for the HD600. I've tried the HD600 side by side, and would easily take the HD600 in a heartbeat. For reference, both are available for about SGD $400 right now.

HD569:
-  Immediate impression was that mid-range was extremely uneven. Shouty, hollow, and nasal-sounding. Was distinctly unimpressed, dare I say – it sounded horrid. Think there might be some hole in the lower mid-range that's making things sound wonky.
-  Bass was second thing to catch my attention. Boomy, lacking control, diffused yet pronounced. Upper bass seems to be the emphasis, though didn't demo long enough to make sure.
-  Isolation seemed relatively strong, and build was solid.
-  Overall will absolutely never recommend this headphone, especially at the price. I'd much rather recommend the Shure SRH840, Audio Technica ATH-M40x, or even the M50x, despite my misgivings with the latter. The HD569 is, in my opinion, a lazy attempt at a closed headphone.

Was actually very interested to try the HD559 and HD579 but demo is slightly hard to find. Did like the HD518 and HD558, especially at discount prices.
Conclusion: one hit (kinda) and one clear as day miss for me.

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #487 of 520
  Got to try the HD599 and the HD569 on two separate occasions, here's my impressions.
Keep in mind, I used to own the HD598 (liked it, but not my personal preference) and all testing were demos through laptop > Wasapi Event > Fiio Q1 DAC (high gain).

HD599:
-  Just about as comfortable as remember HD598 being, but headband padding is still a bit too thick
-  Bass is fuller than HD598, with more mid-bass and upper-bass heft. I did complain about the HD598 lacking extension below upper-bass region, but I personally feel the HD599 sounded a bit too boomy.
-  Mids are perceived to be smoother, more even, and more bodied than HD598 based on memory. Do note, however, that bass did seem to bleed into mid-range, which could've also coloured my perception.
-  Overall sound is definitely more cohesive overall, but I do feel that the HD598 is more likable. The HD599, while improved particularly in bass extension, mid-range evenness, and treble control, was not as "magical" as its predecessor. HD598, in simple terms, sounded more different. HD599 sounds like it really could be any other headphone (technically superior isn't necessarily always more subjectively enjoyable).
-  One more point is that in Singapore, the retail prices for the HD599 are extremely close to discount prices available for the HD600. I've tried the HD600 side by side, and would easily take the HD600 in a heartbeat. For reference, both are available for about SGD $400 right now.

HD569:
-  Immediate impression was that mid-range was extremely uneven. Shouty, hollow, and nasal-sounding. Was distinctly unimpressed, dare I say – it sounded horrid. Think there might be some hole in the lower mid-range that's making things sound wonky.
-  Bass was second thing to catch my attention. Boomy, lacking control, diffused yet pronounced. Upper bass seems to be the emphasis, though didn't demo long enough to make sure.
-  Overall will absolutely never recommend this headphone, especially at the price. I'd much rather recommend the Shure SRH840, Audio Technica ATH-M40x, or even the M50x, despite my misgivings with the latter. The HD569 is, in my opinion, a lazy attempt at a closed headphone.

Was actually very interested to try the HD559 and HD579 but demo is slightly hard to find. Did like the HD518 and HD558, especially at discount prices.

Thanks for sharing your impressions.  I was particularly interested in how the 599 compares to the 598.

It's been rumored that the 569 is the same headphone, sonically, as the 598Cs closed back.  I had 598Cs and didn't like it, for many of the reasons you didn't like the 569.  Here is a link from rtings.com with a comprehensive review and test, including frequency response curve, for the 598Cs.

www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-598-cs

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #488 of 520

HD599:

HD569:

When comparing Hd599 and 598 directly I've heard 599's bass slightly more present but sensibly tighter. Could be that you heard 599 with a relatively high output impedance amplification?

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #489 of 520
When comparing Hd599 and 598 directly I've heard 599's bass slightly more present but sensibly tighter. Could be that you heard 599 with a relatively high output impedance amplification?

I tried the HD599 with a Fiio Q1. Not sure how high/low the output impedance is on the DAC, but it’s worked well with sensitive IEMs for me, so don’t think that’s an issue. I’d suspect the output impedance on the device is less than 1 ohm, seems comparable in quality to my iPhone SE.
I will clarify though: what I meant is the HD599 sounds boomy in general, not that the bass was looser than the HD598. Going off memory, I’d probably agree that the HD599’s bass is tighter and more impactful than the woollier HD598’s. That said, I think the HD599’s amount of bass is too much for me given how much it seems to bleed into the mid-range, while the HD598’s bass was probably less technically capable, but less in quantity.
TLDR: HD599 technically superior bass but too much, HD598 technically inferior bass but too little. Did not mean to imply HD599’s bass was looser than HD598’s.
There is also the distinct possibility that the HD599's bass performance would improve with a better DAC with a lower output impedance. Unfortunately, my Q1, iPhone, and ears are all I have. And an iPod touch 4th gen but I don't test anything on that unless planning to purchase.
Bottom line: HD599 not a bad headphone, but given the price and the music source(s) I have, don't think it's really for me.

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #490 of 520

Thanks for sharing your impressions.  I was particularly interested in how the 599 compares to the 598.

It's been rumored that the 569 is the same headphone, sonically, as the 598Cs closed back.  I had 598Cs and didn't like it, for many of the reasons you didn't like the 569.  Here is a link from rtings.com with a comprehensive review and test, including frequency response curve, for the 598Cs.

www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-598-cs

Thanks for the link. Read the rtings.com article, and Am actually a little stunned at how similar my impressions are to the FR comments. Especially keeping in mind I probably demoed the HD569 for the span of less than one song.
That said, haven't tried the HD598C, so cannot verify anything here. Interesting to think about though.
And no problem for the impressions, I'll be happy to supply any more comments if you have more questions about how the HD598 compares to the HD599 (keeping in mind it's just my memory work that you should take with a pinch of salt).

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #491 of 520
HD569:

I also have the 598 CS and I agree about the mid-range, sounds the same to me. (shouty, nasal)
Bass is good for me, tight, not boomy, maybe a lack of body in the upper bass / lower mids.
Even I initially wanted to return it, I liked the comfort of my 598 CS too much, so for the 100 EUR I paid for it, I decided to keep it. I'm now happy with it, with some EQ to fix the mids.

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #492 of 520

I also have the 598 CS and I agree about the mid-range, sounds the same to me. (shouty, nasal)
Bass is good for me, tight, not boomy, maybe a lack of body in the upper bass / lower mids.
Even I initially wanted to return it, I liked the comfort of my 598 CS too much, so for the 100 EUR I paid for it, I decided to keep it. I'm now happy with it, with some EQ to fix the mids.

True.  They were super comfy.  That pad material feels so cool and comfy on the ears, with good heat dissipation.  Very rare in a relatively inexpensive closed back.  Maybe Senn will "fix the mids" permanently, add a bit more treble, and release a new model.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #493 of 520

True.  They were super comfy.  That pad material feels so cool and comfy on the ears, with good heat dissipation.  Very rare in a relatively inexpensive closed back.  Maybe Senn will "fix the mids" permanently, add a bit more treble, and release a new model.

Yeah, sometimes it feels like manufacturers leave something "to fix" on purpose. Otherwise there would be nothing to do for the next model.
A headphone with large ear-cups, comfy pads, lightweight, AND even-sounding for 100 bucks would be too much.
Next month I'll test the Momentum 2 among other headphones. If they sound better and fit my ears, they will replace the 598Cs

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #494 of 520

Yeah, sometimes it feels like manufacturers leave something "to fix" on purpose. Otherwise there would be nothing to do for the next model.
A headphone with large ear-cups, comfy pads, lightweight, AND even-sounding for 100 bucks would be too much.
Next month I'll test the Momentum 2 among other headphones. If they sound better and fit my ears, they will replace the 598Cs

I'll definitely be interested in your impressions of the M2, especially compared to 598 and 598Cs.  I've always been interested in the M2 for the great looks, closed back design, but never got around to listening to them.  They're not exactly cheap and their frequency response curve turned me off (very bassy and dark).

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #495 of 520

I'll definitely be interested in your impressions of the M2, especially compared to 598 and 598Cs.  I've always been interested in the M2 for the great looks, closed back design, but never got around to listening to them.  They're not exactly cheap and their frequency response curve turned me off (very bassy and dark).

Sure, I will have the opportunity to test
Sennheiser Momentum G M2
Oppo PM 3

Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7

Bowers & Wilkins P7

NAD Viso HP50

I'll report back :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back