Apr 20, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #496 of 520

Sure, I will have the opportunity to test
Sennheiser Momentum G M2
Oppo PM 3

Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7

Bowers & Wilkins P7

NAD Viso HP50

I'll report back :)

I've heard PM-3 and HP50.  Make sure to listen to some Skrillex tracks on the PM-3, especially with those fast, high-pitched riffs.  Then compare with any other headphone and let me know what you think.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #497 of 520

I also have the 598 CS and I agree about the mid-range, sounds the same to me. (shouty, nasal)
Bass is good for me, tight, not boomy, maybe a lack of body in the upper bass / lower mids.
Even I initially wanted to return it, I liked the comfort of my 598 CS too much, so for the 100 EUR I paid for it, I decided to keep it. I'm now happy with it, with some EQ to fix the mids.

Glad you like your HD598C, the HD598/HD599 design is rather comfortable overall.
Based on my demo of the HD569, can definitely imagine the mid-range would be much more listenable with some EQ. That said, I think I’ll still stick to recommending the M40x and SRH840 at their respective price categories over the disappointing HD569.

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #498 of 520
Glad you like your HD598C, the HD598/HD599 design is rather comfortable overall.
Based on my demo of the HD569, can definitely imagine the mid-range would be much more listenable with some EQ. That said, I think I’ll still stick to recommending the M40x and SRH840 at their respective price categories over the disappointing HD569.
I had a chance to have a quick listen to the hd569, at Best Buy. I thought, like at least three people on this thread, that the mid-range was elevated. Vocals and instruments stood out from the bass and the higher frequencies; but I didn't really have enough time with them to form an overall opinion.

By the way, I own the audio technica m40x. If you read the amazon reviews you would get the impression that the bass is neutral, and the frequency response is relatively flat. I don't think so. The bass has a fair sized hump between 80hz. to 200hz.; and the rest of the frequency response is far from flat. However, they have a sound signature that I enjoy.

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #499 of 520
I had a chance to have a quick listen to the hd569, at Best Buy. I thought, like at least three people on this thread, that the mid-range was elevated. Vocals and instruments stood out from the bass and the higher frequencies; but I didn't really have enough time with them to form an overall opinion.

By the way, I own the audio technica m40x. If you read the amazon reviews you would get the impression that the bass is neutral, and the frequency response is relatively flat. I don't think so. The bass has a fair sized hump between 80hz. to 200hz.; and the rest of the frequency response is far from flat. However, they have a sound signature that I enjoy.

Agreed with your assessment on the M40x's sound. The upper and mid bass is definitely humped at least a little, and upper mids have a certain emphasis I haven't quite put my finger on yet. Just got myself the headphones after sitting on it for almost a year. Certainly not "neutral", but especially for vocals, very clear yet smooth. It's definitely much smoother and controlled than the HD569.

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #500 of 520
Agreed with your assessment on the M40x's sound. The upper and mid bass is definitely humped at least a little, and upper mids have a certain emphasis I haven't quite put my finger on yet. Just got myself the headphones after sitting on it for almost a year. Certainly not "neutral", but especially for vocals, very clear yet smooth. It's definitely much smoother and controlled than the HD569.
Yes, I find the vocals and instruments in general to be clear and smooth.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #501 of 520
I found it quite surprising that in Head-Fi, instead of the much more popular brother, M50x, M40x does seems to be more to people's tastes... I was fortunate enough to be able to demo before buying mine and it was my entry into serious audio gear, guess i wasn't that wrong about choosing it after all...

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #505 of 520
Guys, piece of advice please? I can get the Momentum 2 over-ear for about 200$ in my country (refurbished). The 4.30G are 90$, these are the ones I was leaning towards. Are the Momentum 2 worth double the price?

And quite possibly I will be able to get a Sony MDR-1A for about 120$ (or 90$ refurbished). What's the general consensus on Sony MDR-1A vs Momentum 2? Can 4.30G match any of these in any way? Might as well compare all three.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #506 of 520
Guys, piece of advice please? I can get the Momentum 2 over-ear for about 200$ in my country (refurbished). The 4.30G are 90$, these are the ones I was leaning towards. Are the Momentum 2 worth double the price?

And quite possibly I will be able to get a Sony MDR-1A for about 120$ (or 90$ refurbished). What's the general consensus on Sony MDR-1A vs Momentum 2? Can 4.30G match any of these in any way? Might as well compare all three.
Forget the 4.30. They have very small ear pad openings, uncomfortable, and bass bloated.
Just get the Momentum 2. I got them recently, new for 240 EUR and they are the best portables I ever had. Save some money and get them new, it's worth it.
I also had the MDR-1A but I had problems with wind noise entering the bass ports and making them unlistenable during windy days. They also had more bass than I like, and compared to Momentum, a bit artificial midrange. Momentum 2 tonality is perfect for me as a portable headphone.
Momentum 2 is a warmer headphone with full-bodied midrange and smooth treble. If you like more extension in the highs also consider the B&O H6 2nd gen.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #507 of 520
Anyone tried the 4.20s and 4.30 back to back? I ended up buying the 4.20s because for me they blew the 4.30 away when I heard them right next to each other in the store. (both used wired because the batteries on both were dead) Anyway I bought the 4.20s because I thought they sounded better but... I'm assuming they are very similar. Maybe the 4.30's had been damaged or something? Do they really sound THAT different (wired vs wired?)

Mar 5, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #509 of 520
Are the HD 579 discontinued? They are no longer on Sennheiser's website.

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #510 of 520

I know your post is rather old. The m40x is relatively neutral. It isn't reference neutral or flat. But, for less than $100 it is more neutral than at least 95% of the headphones out there. Here is a link to the m40x FR graph:

http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/param6.php?idhp2=526
param6.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back