Sennheiser debuts a bunch of new headphones at IFA
Nov 26, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #437 of 520
I hear great things about the 2.3 from a dealer here in the Philippines. Too bad I am not close enough to audition them since its a 2 day drive or a plane trip away

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #438 of 520
Good to know about the 4.20s being over ear. There are no retail outlets selling these in Canada that I can find. I have to buy online only.

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #439 of 520
Ahh they have all of them here in the Philippines. I don't live in Manila though so I am talking with the owner to demo all of them for me. I did already get confirmation that the 4.3 is a little too bassy out of an iphone 5s vs the 4.2. Then the 2.3 is supposedly a very pleasant and rich sound with great mids but the usual limitations in transparency of an on ear design.

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #440 of 520
If Sennheiser believes any of their new series headphones are being "ignored" by head-fi community, then they can certainly set up a giveaway to have some head-fiers review them.  Have head-fi post that on their homepage, and I'm sure that would spark interest.

Apparently, Sennheiser must be okay with the early sales numbers, if they are not actively promoting them here.

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #443 of 520
HD 4.20S and HD 4.30 have cups openings smaller than MDR-1A and Momentum 2, so a no-go for me.
Instead I bought the HD 598 CS for EUR 99 on friday, waiting for them to arrive.

Nov 26, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #444 of 520
Yup, I don't the lack of enthusiasm for Sennheiser's newest offerings. I reviewed the PXC 550 and there is almost zero interest on Head-fi they are good enough I darn near only use them right now because they are far more than just an Active Noise Cancelling headphone.

Now I see the HD 4.x0 line and they are similarly being ignored. I will have to wait as my budget is to tight to buy a pair but when I can afford to try them the HD 4.30 are on a short list. The HD 4.20 appears to be on ear and possibly to bright for me but they also look interesting.

To be fair, their headbands don't look promising comfort-wise, and then judging by the prices, I would guess they are using drivers that are based on or the same as HD205, HD429, or HD407 or what have you.  Decent stuff, but nothing quite like HD598Cs and the new HD5x9 line.

On a separate note, I'm mildly curious as to what Sennheiser cooked up in the new HD200 Pro.

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #445 of 520
To be fair, their headbands don't look promising comfort-wise, and then judging by the prices, I would guess they are using drivers that are based on or the same as HD205, HD429, or HD407 or what have you.  Decent stuff, but nothing quite like HD598Cs and the new HD5x9 line.

On a separate note, I'm mildly curious as to what Sennheiser cooked up in the new HD200 Pro.
You could be right about the comfort. The recent BF sale on the 598CS was really good but I am not sure how well they would work for portable use. The PXC550 has a plusher headband and is very comfortable while being thin, the HD4.30G on the other hand definitely is not as plush. Still interested in how they sound :smile:

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #447 of 520
Got my HD 599's today, I like them, build quality is far superior to my DT880's, oval ear pads are a little weird to get use to and there much stiffer than the 880's I'll get use to it though, not sure how well the headband will survive but we'll see.

Got them on a Black Friday sale here in Aus from Addicted to Audio, $268 instead of $348, yeah we pay a fortune for headphones.

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #448 of 520
Got my HD 599's today, I like them, build quality is far superior to my DT880's, oval ear pads are a little weird to get use to and there much stiffer than the 880's I'll get use to it though, not sure how well the headband will survive but we'll see.

Got them on a Black Friday sale here in Aus from Addicted to Audio, $268 instead of $348, yeah we pay a fortune for headphones.

HD 599 have better build quality than DT880 (pro or premium)??  Really?!  That's surprising.  DT880 Premium I tried once had superb build quality and materials to my 598.  I don't imagine the 599 being far better built than 598.

Nov 30, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #449 of 520
598 CS's for $99 on Black Friday were an absolute steal. They punch way above their price point. I couldn't be happier. I have never heard a pair of headphones that sound this good for under $100. Their soundstage is close to my Shure 1540's and those have one of the best soundstages I've heard for closed back. They're very comfortable, too. They're all plastic so build quality could definitely be better, but their sound is milk and honey to my ears. I will compare them to the 599's this weekend. My 599's arrive this Thursday. Cheers!

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #450 of 520
HD 599 have better build quality than DT880 (pro or premium)??  Really?!  That's surprising.  DT880 Premium I tried once had superb build quality and materials to my 598.  I don't imagine the 599 being far better built than 598.

DT880 Premium, they are mostly metal but the biggest quality difference is with the size adjustment, the 599's is a solid adjust that doesn't slip, the DT880's on the other hand from the day I got them they slipped because the clip design sucks, the little nub that's meant to fit into the divots isn't deep enough and the assembly on the whole is to loose so the slightest bump knocks it out. Also the plastic that holds the adjustment system in place is pretty meh in terms of quality, plastic doesn't meet nicely and if you have really short hair it gets caught easily in between the plastic.

The pads on the 599 are much stiffer, haven't decided if that's a good or bad thing yet, have to wear them in a bit. Sennheiser use standard phillips screws for construction, Beyerdynamic used Torx. Have to wait and see if the 599's plastic starts to creak as well.

That's just what I've found so far, I've only had the 599's for a day so I'll give them a few weeks of use and see what else I find, so far though I'm liking the 599's more than the DT880's in terms of build quality, sound wise I'm still not sure, I don't have the greatest hearing :frowning2:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back