Sennheiser CX 980 vs MX 980 vs IE8
Nov 16, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 14
Pardon for the necro, but I'd also like to know if anyone has an opinion on this. There is a new local computer store opening this weekend (ad here) they're selling the CX980 for $130, and the MX980 for $90. I'd like to know if the CX980 at that price is an absolute steal, or if I should go for the MX980 instead. If this review is believable, then the CX980 is a poor man's SE530, which would be fantastic for $130. Thanks!

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 14
Well their sound signature is completely different, IE8 is heavy in the bass whereas the OMX980 (which is what I have) is fairly balanced. SE530 has a noticeable roll off in the highs. I can't say the 980 series is better technically but I definately think they're "better" due to their relatively uncolored sound signature. Then again, some people will complain "these have no bass" so the decision is entirely yours. Isolation and ergnomics are also important considerations with IEMs which I cannot commetn on here.

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 14
Got the CX980 from the sale.

Wow these sound terrible. I don't know what else to say. Coming from a modded Grado SR225i as my home headphone, I'm probably spoiled by its lovely midrange. But the CX980 sounded so muffled and closed, even with the "balanced" white tips, and I couldn't spend more than ten minutes using these. Gonna return these tomorrow and eat the 15% restocking fee unless anyone's interested (PM me). I don't think IEMs are for me.  =(

I don't know if the MX980 would be any better, but I wanted isolation. Guess that was a bad decision.

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 14
Okay, so I made myself listen to the CX980 for a few more hours and they opened up a bit. It's still not really the sound signature I prefer, but at least they're listenable now. There's a lot of bass in them.

Store doesn't allow refunds on opened IEMs, so I'll listen to a few more days before making a final decision on what to do with them. Perhaps they'll open up some more, and maybe I'll actually even like them in the end. Burn-in's a reality!

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 14
Wow. Due to a little "mod" along with some additional burn-in time, the CX980 sounds really good now, enough for me to keep it and take back everything bad I initially said about it. I'll detail everything in an impressions write-up (along with photos) in a few days.

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #12 of 14
I prefer sound of cx980 over ie8 a little, very little bit. Never heard mx980 though.
The only thing I dont like about all above sennheisers is slightly too much bass even with least bassy tips...
But frankly, I think that both models are overpriced, as neither sounds as £200 earphones...

And if you are interested in diagrams and stuff, here is quite good comparison of IE8 vs CX980:
http://www.headphoneinfo.com/content/Sennheiser-IE-8i-In-ear-Headphones-Review/Sennheiser-CX-980-Comparison.htm

cx980

IE8

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Okay, so I made myself listen to the CX980 for a few more hours and they opened up a bit. It's still not really the sound signature I prefer, but at least they're listenable now. There's a lot of bass in them.

Store doesn't allow refunds on opened IEMs, so I'll listen to a few more days before making a final decision on what to do with them. Perhaps they'll open up some more, and maybe I'll actually even like them in the end. Burn-in's a reality!

is it  v  shaped ? because thats what im looking for

Users who are viewing this thread

Back