Sennheiser Amperiors?
Mar 23, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #904 of 1,022
It's from customcans.co.uk and they have it as an HD25II cable, you can specify the length as well, mine is shortened to 0.75 metres. Sound difference is very noticeable on mine. As I have two pairs of Amperiors here, I did back to back comparisons.

if ordering, let them know its for Amperiors.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #905 of 1,022
Quote:
It's from customcans.co.uk and they have it as an HD25II cable, you can specify the length as well, mine is shortened to 0.75 metres. Sound difference is very noticeable on mine. As I have two pairs of Amperiors here, I did back to back comparisons.

if ordering, let them know its for Amperiors.

Just got the HP 2 days ago, do they sound better after break in?
I might wait for 2 weeks before i change the cable, i was thinking HD600 cable but they so pricey.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #907 of 1,022
I was wondering about purchasing a pair of these but I had a few questions for people:

1. I can get them for about $250 new from a Sennheiser Reseller (full warranty etc etc), is this a good/great/normal price? I know they "retail" for $350.

2. I listen mainly to metal/hardcore, more specifically folk metal/thrash metal/power metal/death metal/deathcore/metalcore/hardcore and some hip hop occationally, are these the cans for me for that price range? (under $300)

3. My usage is portable only, I would say 70% music from iPhone 5, 30% movies from iPad (AVPlayer or Plex app). Anything better in this category?

- By portable I mean I use them riding a train, sometimes at work and walking around the city I work in (3-5 miles a day). I have a gym pair of head phones so they don't need to be able to stay on during activities beyond walking. I do wear them during 1-2 hour sessions daily..

4. Any reason to buy these over the HD25-1 II? Considering the price difference of only $50 at the moment?

I am coming from a pair of of PX200-II's that I liked a lot, but I lost those and figured it is time to upgrade. I have experience with higher end bigger cans, but not much on the portable lines. I hate in ear though.

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #908 of 1,022
My response to the above ^

1: That is a good deal, however you could check out adgtrons refurbished pairs on amazon. That's where I got mine and they were essentially new, fresh pads, fresh cable, they even smelled new.

2: For metal these cans are aamaazingg. They have very fast transients and are generally fast headphones which means they can keep up well. I especially enjoy my pair to listen to Opeth, Tool, and Dan Deacon.

3: Yea, they are very comfortable. They really mold to your head after about a solid week of wear. They also have considerably less clamp than the vice of a headphone that is the HD25. I think the pads help a ton. I would pass on using these at the gym though if you ever decide you want to alternate.

4: I would highly recommend these headphones, personally having tried some of the heavy hitter portables (check my profile). I'd also buy another px100-ii if I were you. I LOVE mine, tonality is incredible for ~$40.

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #909 of 1,022
I'm answering having owned the Amperiors only for about a month.

1. I'm not sure where you live, but you should check out this site as well, as they sell the Amperiors at $170:
http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_46888/Sennheiser-HD-25-Amperior-DJ-Pro-Monitoring-Headphones-Blue-Refurbished-.html

For $250, I can't really say since I bought them even cheaper from someone else. That being said, if you're willing to wait around the FS forum/purchase them from vminnovations, I think that the $160/$170 price is a pretty damn good deal. I will say that I think that the $350 retail tag is definitely asking too much.

2. This is the real reason I reply. As a fellow metalhead, I think that these definitely excel at all sorts of rock/metal. The slightly v-shaped signature while retaining forward mids gives the music a sense of aggression while the elevated bass gives body to the drums and distorted guitar and the treble gives the music a definite bite. I can't compare them to other portable cans as I lack experience, but these cans are definitely at home with rock/metal (it's worth noting that the main drawback of these cans, lack of soundstage, is rendered nil since most metal doesn't really exhibit soundstage in the first place.)

3. Yup. These are portable cans, and will definitely fit your needs. Nice and rugged, left cup rotates forwards and backwards if you need to hear someone really quick, they exhibit strong clamp (might be problematic if you're a glasses wearer. I'm a glasses wearer, but my ears are large enough so that the clamp makes my ears fold around the cups as opposed to against them, so it's not as troublesome, YMMV.) and I can headbang like crazy and they'll stay on. iDevice functionality helps if you have an iPhone.

4. Honestly, I bought them over the HD-25's for the looks. I've no idea how they sound, and there are conflicting opinions all over the internet on whether there are sound differences. Aside from that, the iPhone cable is a definite plus, and they definitely don't do worse than the HD-25. That being said, if it were me and I didn't care about looks/iphone cable, I would've definitely gone for the HD-25-1 ii.

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #910 of 1,022
I think the pads help a ton. I would pass on using these at the gym though if you ever decide you want to alternate.

I'm curious about this, I was thinking about using these at the gym, but that might not be a good idea?

I suppose bringing $350 cans to the gym IS less than intuitive...

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #911 of 1,022
Quote:
I'm curious about this, I was thinking about using these at the gym, but that might not be a good idea?

I suppose bringing $350 cans to the gym IS less than intuitive...

They can definitely take the abuse being as rugged as they are, however, I wouldn't because I think the earpads would harden up with the sweat. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #912 of 1,022
Quote:
I'm answering having owned the Amperiors only for about a month.

1. I'm not sure where you live, but you should check out this site as well, as they sell the Amperiors at $170:
http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_46888/Sennheiser-HD-25-Amperior-DJ-Pro-Monitoring-Headphones-Blue-Refurbished-.html

For $250, I can't really say since I bought them even cheaper from someone else. That being said, if you're willing to wait around the FS forum/purchase them from vminnovations, I think that the $160/$170 price is a pretty damn good deal. I will say that I think that the $350 retail tag is definitely asking too much.

2. This is the real reason I reply. As a fellow metalhead, I think that these definitely excel at all sorts of rock/metal. The slightly v-shaped signature while retaining forward mids gives the music a sense of aggression while the elevated bass gives body to the drums and distorted guitar and the treble gives the music a definite bite. I can't compare them to other portable cans as I lack experience, but these cans are definitely at home with rock/metal (it's worth noting that the main drawback of these cans, lack of soundstage, is rendered nil since most metal doesn't really exhibit soundstage in the first place.)

3. Yup. These are portable cans, and will definitely fit your needs. Nice and rugged, left cup rotates forwards and backwards if you need to hear someone really quick, they exhibit strong clamp (might be problematic if you're a glasses wearer. I'm a glasses wearer, but my ears are large enough so that the clamp makes my ears fold around the cups as opposed to against them, so it's not as troublesome, YMMV.) and I can headbang like crazy and they'll stay on. iDevice functionality helps if you have an iPhone.

4. Honestly, I bought them over the HD-25's for the looks. I've no idea how they sound, and there are conflicting opinions all over the internet on whether there are sound differences. Aside from that, the iPhone cable is a definite plus, and they definitely don't do worse than the HD-25. That being said, if it were me and I didn't care about looks/iphone cable, I would've definitely gone for the HD-25-1 ii.

thanks for the response, I was looking at the non-refurb from VM for $250. What are people's thoughts on buying refurbished to begin with for head phones? I guess I never thought about buying refurbed cans. Do we know what gets replaced with a refurb? I mean, am I going to get new pads, new band? New anything specific? I just dont want some sweaty can show up at my door to save $75.

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #913 of 1,022
Quote:
My response to the above ^

1: That is a good deal, however you could check out adgtrons refurbished pairs on amazon. That's where I got mine and they were essentially new, fresh pads, fresh cable, they even smelled new.

2: For metal these cans are aamaazingg. They have very fast transients and are generally fast headphones which means they can keep up well. I especially enjoy my pair to listen to Opeth, Tool, and Dan Deacon.

3: Yea, they are very comfortable. They really mold to your head after about a solid week of wear. They also have considerably less clamp than the vice of a headphone that is the HD25. I think the pads help a ton. I would pass on using these at the gym though if you ever decide you want to alternate.

4: I would highly recommend these headphones, personally having tried some of the heavy hitter portables (check my profile). I'd also buy another px100-ii if I were you. I LOVE mine, tonality is incredible for ~$40.

Thanks for the response as well. I love my koss ksc75 for the gym, I go through a pair every 2 years roughly, depending on how quickly my cats decide to eat the chord when I leave them out (I am a little more cautious with my good pairs :)). But seriously, for gym use, they are AMAZING. I usually buy them, do a few simple mods and then when my sweat finally kills them I will switch to the next one in line. I found a few local places that gave me a deal on buying 10 pairs recently (10 for $80 :)) so I am set for awhile for the gym.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #914 of 1,022
Quote:
thanks for the response, I was looking at the non-refurb from VM for $250. What are people's thoughts on buying refurbished to begin with for head phones? I guess I never thought about buying refurbed cans. Do we know what gets replaced with a refurb? I mean, am I going to get new pads, new band? New anything specific? I just dont want some sweaty can show up at my door to save $75.

IMO, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if they're an authorized dealer. I doubt anyone would be able to return it in terrible condition (and it would be a hard thing to do with these cans) and at the very worst, you can order an replacement part from sennheiser.

id also try contacting the dealer themselves to make sure.

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #915 of 1,022
Sombody now why Sennheiser remove from sale the Amperior Blue??? 
All Stors when i call them to ask if they have Amperior blue the said that they will no longer produce them, and only silver will be sold:frowning2::frowning2:
sory for my English......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back