Sennheiser Amperiors?
Mar 2, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #871 of 1,022
I tried almost every brand of mid-hi and high-hi headphones that I could get my hands for the past year. In the end, I settled down with the Amperiors. I fully enjoy the music coming out from these cans, without my mind nitpicking on whether there is less or more treble or bass. The best part is that it sounds fantastic without amping, and there is no need to crack your head finding a matching amp.

Spot on!

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #874 of 1,022
It's reassuring to see that I'm not the only one that thinks the Amperior's have superb sound quality, tbh, they really are one of the best all rounders available, having listened to a pruned 30 or so sets of cans over the past year.

So good that we have two pairs in my home...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #877 of 1,022
Quote:
Let me know if you find a good one, I'm always searching for a case solution! As for the DT 1350's I agree I thought Id like them better also, although I have to say the midrange sounded very good and clear for me! Bass was just so weak to my ears in comparison.

Hey. This is no leather clad beauty but perfectly functional for me. Just a sponge insert in a UDG U8200 case. A little Batman-esque don't you think?!
dt880smile.png

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/img2190ie.jpg/

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #878 of 1,022
Hi Guys, new here so be nice to me. :) I've recently bought a pair of Amperiors and Momentums. Currently I'm using them with my 4th gen iPod Touch and would like to get the best out of them. Can anyone recommend a portable amp to go with them? I'm looking at a budget of £50-£100.

Alternatively do you think it's better to spend that money on a new player instead? Basically I'd either invest £100 on a portable amp or £200 on a new player (no amp) or a combination of the two as long as I don't exceed £200 (it's a new hobby so taking baby steps :)).

Thanks in advance!

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #880 of 1,022
Hi Guys, new here so be nice to me. :) I've recently bought a pair of Amperiors and Momentums. Currently I'm using them with my 4th gen iPod Touch and would like to get the best out of them. Can anyone recommend a portable amp to go with them? I'm looking at a budget of £50-£100.

Alternatively do you think it's better to spend that money on a new player instead? Basically I'd either invest £100 on a portable amp or £200 on a new player (no amp) or a combination of the two as long as I don't exceed £200 (it's a new hobby so taking baby steps :)).

Thanks in advance!

Hi mate. Depends what you want to get out of the cans. Are you looking for a particular signature? Not enough bass? Treble need a bump? Or just simply volume?
Personally I feel the momentum's and amperiors sound great and were designed for portable use. the low impedance means they are not hard to drive.

I think you should just enjoy your headphones for a while so you are settled with the sound and then make an informed decision on whether you really need an amp.

As GSA mentioned the e17 is a lovely versatile amp but unlike my head-fi friend GSA I don't use the amperiors with an amp.

I listen at moderate volumes, bass and treble are perfectly balanced for my ears. So The amperiors for me are grab and go...Amazing as is! It's down to personal preference really.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #881 of 1,022
Absolutely no need to amp them IMO. I'd just rather plug them directily to the iPhone than going through the hassle of carrying the E17, which implies more bulk and losing the line mic & controls.

SQ improvement, if any, was negligible with iPhone/iTouch 4g. Haven't tried E17 with iPhone 5 since I dont have the lightning to 30 pin adapter to use the LOD, but I honestly don't think it would make a great difference...

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #882 of 1,022
I have the E17 and an iphone 5 and I didnt notice a difference, to my ears, in sound quality amped up. It sounds good unamped. However, with my other headphones, the HE 400, there was a definite sound improvement!

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #883 of 1,022
Thanks for the replies guys. So it seems the general consensus is not to amp, or at least not yet unless I feel something is lacking.

So that leaves the option of a new player. What can replace my iPod Touch and give me a better sound quality/experience for upto £200? I'm not exactly disappointed with the iPod Touch but now that I have some decent headphones, I just want to get the best out of them. If anyone has upgraded from an iPod Touch then it would be nice to get your opinion.

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #884 of 1,022
Low impedance headphones require current to see more power.  High impedance headphones require voltage to see more power.  Portable amplifiers will typically have little or no effect on low impedance headphones as they are designed to limit current output to extend battery life.  Portable amplifiers are intended to enable the use of high impedance headphones with low voltage portable devices by providing additional voltage.

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #885 of 1,022
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. So it seems the general consensus is not to amp, or at least not yet unless I feel something is lacking.

So that leaves the option of a new player. What can replace my iPod Touch and give me a better sound quality/experience for upto £200? I'm not exactly disappointed with the iPod Touch but now that I have some decent headphones, I just want to get the best out of them. If anyone has upgraded from an iPod Touch then it would be nice to get your opinion.

They sound better with an amp.  It would be fair to say that adding an amp has less of an impact than with high impedance cans, but it still makes them sound better.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back