Sennheiser Amperiors?
Feb 21, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #856 of 1,022
Has anyone been able to compare the Amperiors to the HD598's? I am trying to figure out which way to go...so far I have been leaning towards the 598's, but I haven't heard much about the Amperior's yet. I would love some feedback before I commit either way :) 

The main thing I've read so far is that comfort is an issue for some people, with the Amperior's being too tight. Does anyone else have that issue? And most importantly, what's the sound comparison between the two?

Never tried the 598's. as for comfort I don't have a clamping issue. Maybe because I have a small head?! I think the fit has loosened slightly with wear as well. But I like the balance as they are tight which is critical for any kind of movement without discomfort.

Also from only going on only what I've read it seems like the two headphones you are choosing between are very different. Open vs closed. Analytical vs fun/bassy. :)

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #857 of 1,022
Haha yeahh, definitely opposites. Ideally, I need to get a closed style because I have a roommate (and I plan on using them for traveling)...but I am kind of stuck right now. I made a post yesterday that asked about the best phone style match for the types of songs I listed...I think all of the recommendations were open though. I am trying to find a good pair to bring out a very certain type of music...it's sounding like I need to go with an open style and omit the roommate factor...orr get a closed pair and maybe sacrifice on sound a bit.

Just trying to figure out how much I would loose if I went the closed route. If you have some input, I definitely welcome it :) 

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #858 of 1,022
I
Haha yeahh, definitely opposites. Ideally, I need to get a closed style because I have a roommate (and I plan on using them for traveling)...but I am kind of stuck right now. I made a post yesterday that asked about the best phone style match for the types of songs I listed...I think all of the recommendations were open though. I am trying to find a good pair to bring out a very certain type of music...it's sounding like I need to go with an open style and omit the roommate factor...orr get a closed pair and maybe sacrifice on sound a bit.

Just trying to figure out how much I would loose if I went the closed route. If you have some input, I definitely welcome it :) 

I suppose that depends on what you are willing to sacrifice and to what extent. Care to share what kind of music you listen to? :)

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #859 of 1,022
Quote:
Has anyone been able to compare the Amperiors to the HD598's? I am trying to figure out which way to go...so far I have been leaning towards the 598's, but I haven't heard much about the Amperior's yet. I would love some feedback before I commit either way :) 

The main thing I've read so far is that comfort is an issue for some people, with the Amperior's being too tight. Does anyone else have that issue? And most importantly, what's the sound comparison between the two?

They are pretty different.  The Amperiors are quite comfortable when I take off my glasses, but still fall far far short of the 598s.  

The Amperiors do have quite a bit of bass, but they also have a pretty hot treble.  I've found my 598s to be a bit more relaxed, and to have a much larger sound stage.  

At this point I would consider the matter of sound isolation.  If you are going to be sticking to mainly home listening the 598s I'd say are superior.  If you are on the move... can't go wrong with the Amperiors.  I've got a review up for both... feel free to look through em. 

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #860 of 1,022
Quote:

Just saw your post. Seems like from those tunes you have listed, you are looking for something with an airy soundstage. I don't think the Amperiors will give you that. What you will get is fun and excitement from fast tempo tunes from Rock and Dance genres, for example.

Maybe the Philips L1 will give you a good compromise? Laid back presentation and airy soundstage. Semi open architecture may be the way to go. I am sure many more experienced people out there can give you more options for Semi Open cans.

Or maybe the Momentums?

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #861 of 1,022
Might be a silly qu but does anyone know if the drivers from the HD25-1 II are interchangeable with the ones from the Amperiors. In other words, is it possible to take the drivers out of the HD25 and slot them into the aluminium cups of the Amperiors?

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #862 of 1,022
Quote:
 is it possible to take the drivers out of the HD25 and slot them into the aluminium cups of the Amperiors?

Well Tyll has disassembled both headphones,  and when you look at pics, this seems possible :
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/most-excellent-sennheiser-amperior-and-hd-25-1-ii

Anyways, the  "improvement", that most people are raving about seems to come for the extra dampening  added to the amperior.

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #863 of 1,022
Might be a silly qu but does anyone know if the drivers from the HD25-1 II are interchangeable with the ones from the Amperiors. In other words, is it possible to take the drivers out of the HD25 and slot them into the aluminium cups of the Amperiors?

Probably very similar, but definetly not the same driver, starting with impedance difference.

But that will be like placing an LS1 engine on a Corvette C7...

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #864 of 1,022
Well Tyll has disassembled both headphones,  and when you look at pics, this seems possible :
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/most-excellent-sennheiser-amperior-and-hd-25-1-ii

Anyways, the  "improvement", that most people are raving about seems to come for the extra dampening  added to the amperior.

Yeah I understand the differences would be negligible. Just wondering if someone would be cheeky enough to take the amperior drivers out and put the hd25 drivers in there and sell em on like that. Sorry if that sounds daft. I was just curious! :)

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #866 of 1,022
Quote:
Yeah I understand the differences would be negligible. Just wondering if someone would be cheeky enough to take the amperior drivers out and put the hd25 drivers in there and sell em on like that. Sorry if that sounds daft. I was just curious!
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, there must  be an obvious volume difference, because of different impedance.

Mar 1, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #868 of 1,022
Now you can compare the measurements of hd25 II 1 and amperior at golden ear website.

For the hd25 II 1 :
http://en.goldenears.net/4761

For the amperior:
http://en.goldenears.net/16315

If you compare  both "Cumulative Spectral" decay, there are indeed less resonances  for the amperior,
but it mostly affect the frequencies near 5 khz .

If you read final assessments (paragraph 6, "reviewer's opinion") that 's how I understand it:

* transparency/coloration :
amperior : 1.5/5
hd25: 1/5
ideally: 5/5

The amperior offers slightly more clarity than the hd25.

* high resolution:
amperior : 3/5
hd25: 3.5/5
ideally: 5/5

The hd25 is slightly more detailed (i.e true details) than the amperior.
Why ? perhaps because the impulse response of hd25 is better.

* treble relative to midrange:
amperior: 2.5/5
hd25: 2/5
Ideally : 0/5

Both headphone have a treble emphasis (using mids as reference) , but the hd25 is slightly more neutral.

* bass texture:
amperior : 1.5/5
hd25: 3/5
Ideally : 5/5

The bass impact is better for the hd25 .

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #869 of 1,022
I own the sennheiser amperiors, and what i can tell you is that from what i have heard, the best closed small form factor can of their price point. The sound is very comfortable, because a comfortable headphone is one with not just comfort physically, but one with a clean sound stage, and warm bass and smooth vocals. They are well worth their price, and with a small EQ adjustment to make up for a small amount of sibilance, they are worth every cent.

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #870 of 1,022
I tried almost every brand of mid-hi and high-hi headphones that I could get my hands for the past year. In the end, I settled down with the Amperiors. I fully enjoy the music coming out from these cans, without my mind nitpicking on whether there is less or more treble or bass. The best part is that it sounds fantastic without amping, and there is no need to crack your head finding a matching amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back