Sennheiser Amperiors?
Dec 27, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #811 of 1,022
So I had a listen at an Apple store connected to my iPhone 5, Clean, Warm, Vocals are amazing, Good base and very comfortable, but... I had it on max on my phone and it wasn't all that loud :mad:,. I use Westone UM2 and that would be 50-60% what they were at Max, I almost pulled a trigger getting a pair. Before I forget I did ask the apple guy if it was set an a volume limit or something as the wire was going into a table and the white one coming out, he said no, that is was just a security thing.
Can anyone confirm about the volume? I was under the impration that they could be driven well without amp., or was I wrong?

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #812 of 1,022
Quote:
So I had a listen at an Apple store connected to my iPhone 5, Clean, Warm, Vocals are amazing, Good base and very comfortable, but... I had it on max on my phone and it wasn't all that loud
mad.gif
,. I use Westone UM2 and that would be 50-60% what they were at Max, I almost pulled a trigger getting a pair. Before I forget I did ask the apple guy if it was set an a volume limit or something as the wire was going into a table and the white one coming out, he said no, that is was just a security thing.
Can anyone confirm about the volume? I was under the impration that they could be driven well without amp., or was I wrong?

It is quite likely that they use some form of volume limiter.  Did you check the built-in volume limit setting on the iPod they were using?  I didn't experience this when I had a pair of these for a few weeks.  They reached pretty decent volumes with ease.

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #813 of 1,022
I used my iPhone5, but the black cable ran into apple desk and 2 wite cables came out, one for security for ipod, the 2nd headphone jack. I asked apple employee if there was limiter, he replied no. Possibly he was wrong.
Why did you get rid of your set?, how did you find the sound?

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #814 of 1,022
Quote:
I used my iPhone5, but the black cable ran into apple desk and 2 wite cables came out, one for security for ipod, the 2nd headphone jack. I asked apple employee if there was limiter, he replied no. Possibly he was wrong.
Why did you get rid of your set?, how did you find the sound?

I really liked them, especially for EDM!  Very detailed, nice tight bass.  They were a product sample.  Had I purchased them, they would not have gone back!

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #815 of 1,022
Quote:
If I like the Amperiors, and if they are indeed slightly V-shaped, that may be confirmation...

Please be kind enough post your impressions once you've had some time with them. 
smily_headphones1.gif
  Your sig shows some high class cans/amps.

I don't find the HD25s to be V-shaped but then I'm looking for a more mid-centric upgrade for detail (e.g. DT1350)... lol!

Best

James

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #816 of 1,022
Quote:
So I had a listen at an Apple store connected to my iPhone 5, Clean, Warm, Vocals are amazing, Good base and very comfortable, but... I had it on max on my phone and it wasn't all that loud
mad.gif
,. I use Westone UM2 and that would be 50-60% what they were at Max, I almost pulled a trigger getting a pair. Before I forget I did ask the apple guy if it was set an a volume limit or something as the wire was going into a table and the white one coming out, he said no, that is was just a security thing.

As speakerphile said, there's a limiter so that the phones/devices don't die fast in apple products. They even underclock the processors lol. UM2 has a high sensitivity of 119 dB... w/ a low impedance, so it draws power easily and is efficient. Amperiors can draw more power since they're rated at 18 ohms (9 ohms less than ur UM2's). I couldn't find the sensitivity of the amperiors, so iono. I'm guess they're around 106-108ish. Or you just like to listen at loud levels :wink: These should be able to be driven w/ out an amp since they come with all the APPLE CABLE OMG hype. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #818 of 1,022
Quote:
thanks, its not that I like to drive them hard, but sometimes you just want to crank a song or two
biggrin.gif
. I went ahead and ordered a pair in silver
biggrin.gif

know what you mean man. Just to be safe, get a dB meter/app and measure the noise level when you crank it just to be safe. Then again you're just cranking a song or 2, so you should be fine unless it goes on for a certain amount of time at a certain dB. Hope you're happy with them! Senn should've swapped out that blue for anodized black :3

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #819 of 1,022
Personally I feel that the Amperior's sound way beter with my E17 attached, although they sound pretty decent with my iPhone 4S too. Interestingly I tried them at the Apple Store previously and was disappointed by the sound coming from the iPod they were connected up to. It wasn't until I was back in a few weeks ago and tried them with my iPod / E17 that I was blown away by them and had to buy a pair.

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #823 of 1,022
I noticed they are $399AU now in the Australian Apple store instead of the gouging $549AU not long ago when they were released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back