Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #108 of 1,054
Quote:
Well done mate! I'm glad it's the sound you're looking for.
How do you find their bass quality/quantity?

These sound fantastic with most genres I listen to.

I find they aren't too suitable for any aggressive drum n bass / dubstep tracks. BUT I really like them for Jazz/Indie/Pop tracks

Just to my ears anyway. YMMV.

i think my akg k67s and k518le, even the k240s were too bassy for me. the bass quality and quantity just perfect for my liking, I don't listen to dubstep, rap that sort of music, mainly rock, alternative, punk. The amperiors are pretty good, vocal and instruments seperation are awesome, I have a modded 555 at home which are pretty laid back, and now I have the amperiors on2go with my cmoy amp, I have to say I'm pretty satisfied

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #110 of 1,054
^ congrats!

I heard the Momentum finally and honestly, I don't get what people like about them. The Amperiors are significantly more enjoyable to my ears.

I had the blue before, and now that I've heard all the phones in this price range & feel these are the best, I'm going to get the Amperiors again. Going for the silver this time.

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #111 of 1,054
Awesome glad to hear your update ^^. The Momentum and the M-100 are still headphones that I am curious to hear but I definitely don't need to spend money and own them any time soon.

Also Rob, a little OT but do yourself a favor and try the Yamaha Pro 500 if you ever have a chance. Even more natural sounding than the Amperior with bigger soundstage. I heard these the first time and fell in love - its exactly the kind of headphone I had been looking for all this time - strings, drums, vocals, brass instruments you name it - timbre is spot-on. It's very musical, detailed and balanced across the board with great imaging too. For the first time I am considering not buying any other headphone after this (unless there's a great deal on a DT1350 I can't resist lol).

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #112 of 1,054
Thanks for the suggestion Roma. I was all set to pull the trigger on the Amperiors, but after reading your post, I feel like I should wait and try those first.

Do you own them or did you try them somewhere?

BTW, the Momentums are good as well. I didn't mean to imply they suck. I just prefer a more exciting listening experience.

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #113 of 1,054
I own them. Bought them on a whim based on some impressions made by Beagle in the Yamaha Pro Headphones thread. Once he mentioned that piano and vocals sounded natural and that there was this slight lower mid/upper bass emphasis, I had a feeling timbre had to be good on these and that there was weight to the instruments. Piano and vocals are not always easy to accurately reproduce. The mids are beautiful and the highs sound just right - smooth yet sparkly. I don't hear any grain or edge to the music - I just hear the music. It's musical, detailed and involving.

Sorry to stray you away from the Amperior lol. I think you should definitely give the Yamahas a shot though and if they end up not being to your liking, return them. A couple of small, minor caveats with the Pro 500 I should warn you of are the weight (slightly on the heavy side but not all that bad - they're just very solid) and the ear cups are slightly on the small side. That said, I could deal with those little issues any day of the week with the rich SQ coming out of them.

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #115 of 1,054
Hate to say it, but the extension cable for me has broken on me somehow.  I really have no clue how, but the 90 degree plug is done for internally.  Gonna explore a few options.  I'd love to get a replacement if cheap.  I found it usefully mainly for the amount of room it took up.  Otherwise gonna go for a 5 dollar cable and hope it doesn't ruin the sound. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #116 of 1,054
Quote:
I own them. Bought them on a whim based on some impressions made by Beagle in the Yamaha Pro Headphones thread. Once he mentioned that piano and vocals sounded natural and that there was this slight lower mid/upper bass emphasis, I had a feeling timbre had to be good on these and that there was weight to the instruments. Piano and vocals are not always easy to accurately reproduce. The mids are beautiful and the highs sound just right - smooth yet sparkly. I don't hear any grain or edge to the music - I just hear the music. It's musical, detailed and involving.

Sorry to stray you away from the Amperior lol. I think you should definitely give the Yamahas a shot though and if they end up not being to your liking, return them. A couple of small, minor caveats with the Pro 500 I should warn you of are the weight (slightly on the heavy side but not all that bad - they're just very solid) and the ear cups are slightly on the small side. That said, I could deal with those little issues any day of the week with the rich SQ coming out of them.

You probably did me a favor. I was going to buy the Amperiors because of how cheap they are refurbished, but I really am not sure I need them since I mainly use IEMs on the go. I have the Vmoda M80s which are good for throw around phones. Down the road I do want to hear the Pro 500s, but for now you've saved my wallet some pain 
smile.gif

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #117 of 1,054
Haha I hear ya. Trying to heal my wounded wallet as well and stay away from buying more headphones, which I definitely don't need. When you do get to try the Pro 500 let me know as I would be very interested in hearing your impressions.

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #118 of 1,054
I will definitely let you know when I get a chance to hear them

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #120 of 1,054
Why would you want an amp for Amperior considering the fact that they have low impedance (18ohm) and don't neeed an amp? The whole purpose of having Amperior is not needing an amp to drive them. HD25 had 70ohm impedance and didn't even need amping because of it's high sensitivity (120dB).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back