Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #32 of 1,054
Yeah, that cable is kind of thin. Can't complain about the sound, though.

Steve

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #33 of 1,054
It wouldn't be so bad, but it's one of those cables that likes to take on new and weird shapes. I bought a replacement but that was even worse.

You're right about the sound though; it is amazing for a portable.

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #34 of 1,054
Literally just tested and bought a pair of Amperiors at a computer fair in Singapore. Wasn't planning on doing buying them, but I absolutely loved what I heard when I tested the headphones.

The isolation is terrific! Looking forward to getting some great use out of these headphones...

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #35 of 1,054
Congrats on your new cans.

Steve

Literally just tested and bought a pair of Amperiors at a computer fair in Singapore. Wasn't planning on doing buying them, but I absolutely loved what I heard when I tested the headphones.

The isolation is terrific! Looking forward to getting some great use out of these headphones...

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #36 of 1,054
Has anyone found the remote buttons as being mushy or firm without any responsiveness? I have, and It's incredibly irritating! May have to set my sights on a replacement but as the above the cable is a disappointment.

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #37 of 1,054
To be honest with you, I usually use a headphone amp, and don't have an I-phone, so I haven't used them.

Steve

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #38 of 1,054
I'm really impressed and enjoying the sound of my Amperiors. They have a fruity, propulsive bass; smooth and full mid-range; and a forward upper mid, lower treble emphasis - reminds me of the Rega Jura speakers that I previously owned and enjoyed very much.

The only thing against them is comfort. Hopefully the clamping force will diminish over time. I have to sit the ear-cups further forward so that they partially rest on the sides of my face in order to alleviate some of the pressure on my ear-lobes. Someone with smaller ears might find them more comfortable. I usually wear full-sized headphones for comfort but the sound of the Amperiors are simply too good to be ignored.

Also, because the cups are small, I am able to wear my glasses comfortably. They work very well with Skype. My remote control works well and the buttons are responsive.

I'm glad to have purchased them - they are probably about the best set of portable cans available. Finally, great build quality - superb aluminium anodised cups!

Cheers,
cansman

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #39 of 1,054
I'd say the buttons are about right: they're firm enough to avoid accidental presses, yet have some tactile response, like hard rubber domes might feel.

As for the clamping? That and their volume is a bit of a problem. The low impedance means they're easy to turn up too far, especially if you've had a shandy and you're feeling reckless, and the clamping presses my glasses into my head so that I need to keep adjusting them after an album or two. It seems like a fair compromise for a superaural set, tho, but they're not as cuddly as HD650s.

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #42 of 1,054
I've been on the fence on these cans for a while now, but finally picked up a pair last week and am very pleased with them.  They are on the expensive side for what you get, and might not be worth the extra money for some over the HD25-ii but to my ears they do sound better even if the difference isn't overwhelming--especially when un-amped.  I posted a little more on these cans here if anyone is interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626316/closed-mid-fi-portable-battle-2012-discussion-v2/60#post_8688929

and here is a pic of them next to a few of my other supra aurals. 

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t140/matrim604/IMG_1157small.jpg

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #43 of 1,054
^ Nice review - Did you break the Amperiors in? They improve after 20 hours or so. At least mine did and continue to improve after that. Even though they sound good without an amp, they really improve with a decent amp. I liked them better than the M80 and DT1350 and of course the 25s. But I took them back to get a full refund since the Momentum and M100 and...._____ and...._____ and...______ is coming out. I want to wait and see where the dust settles on the enormous inflow of closed portables, then pick one.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #45 of 1,054
Quote:
I like the Amperior, but the mids are very fatiguing after long listening sessions.

The Amperior is the Grado of Sennheiser for me.

Thanks for these impressions. As these are not available locally for audition, I think I'll take a pass on just those two criteria. So thanks from me and a curse from Sennheiser :)

The search for truly non-fatiguing, excellent wearing-comfort and bass-capable portable headphones continues (please let nobody suggest the DT1350. Been there, done that, didn't work for me).

Ah well, maybe the Momentum is a decent compromise. We'll see. Or hear :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back