Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Jun 28, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #766 of 1,054

I heard the same spike as Sylaw.  I noted it in my mini review of 6 portable headphones on my blog ( see signature).  I think the 6-7 kilohertz spike can make some recordings a bit too hot and maybe even harsh, yet I also feel as  Wraithape does that lower quality lossy files are most to blame.

My ear canal resonance also happens to coincide with this peak and unfortunately equalization is probably the only way to tame it and not affect the other frequencies too much.  I use equalizer on my idevice to set a parametric notch to control a spike like this and use it to very good effect with my Vsonic iems.  Check my blog for details on how I use it.

i think i hear that as well, i'm not even sure its the files or what it is but it does sound a bit "brash" sometimes, thats the only word i can describe it. but for the most part the treble is very impressive

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #767 of 1,054
One of the great things I love about this hobby/pursuit is that it is really challenging how I listen to music.

Just finished listening to a great recording of Holst - The Planets (Zubin Mehta). Lying down listening to this, I felt was stunning on the Amperior. A long listen for certain, but with such amazing depth and such clarity.

Really appreciating both the Amperior and the Hd25, such awesome headphones.

Jun 29, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #768 of 1,054
  i think i hear that as well, i'm not even sure its the files or what it is but it does sound a bit "brash" sometimes, thats the only word i can describe it. but for the most part the treble is very impressive

I agree with this - the treble is impressive: the whole frequency range is well covered, in fact - it's a great headphone and I'm really glad I chose it as a replacement for my HD-25s. I use them pretty much every day when on the move. On reflection, I think I may have misused the term 'dark' previously in the discussion - all I was trying to say was that for me, the Amps seem to emphasize the bass frequencies, not that the treble was rolled off in any way. While I wouldn't call them bass-heavy phones, I do find the mid-bass really punchy and forward.

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #769 of 1,054
I received the amperiors a few days ago. I personal prefer the comfort, more relaxed sound, and soundstage of the Vmoda M80. The clamp on the amperiors makes it uncomfortable to wear after 30min because I wear glasses. I will be looking for a trade for the vmoda xs haha.

Jul 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #770 of 1,054
I received the amperiors a few days ago. I personal prefer the comfort, more relaxed sound, and soundstage of the Vmoda M80. The clamp on the amperiors makes it uncomfortable to wear after 30min because I wear glasses. I will be looking for a trade for the vmoda xs haha.

Haha i made that exact trade except the other way around a while ago. Dont regret it since. The amps just one of a kind (obviously along with the hd 25)!

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #771 of 1,054
I wish I can make my Amperior comfortable as KEF M500. Sound wise, I prefer Amperior. But, they can be uncomfortable after 1 hour.

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #775 of 1,054
in case anyone is interested, i have uploaded a triple comparison between the amperior vs momentum vs MOE
Tom22, thanks for a clear video representation. Just got my amperiors from another great member and enjoying it tremendously. SR71A + DX90 + Amperior with Jazz, Rock, Male and female vocals, divine!

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #776 of 1,054
finally finished my review on the Amperiors, i hope it turned out okay =p

here is the link to the my full indepth written review:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-amperior-on-ear-headphones/reviews/11457

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #777 of 1,054
Guys i need a little help please.....
Just received a pair of amperiors from amazon. I bought them in "like new" condition and they really are like new but amazon screwed up big time and only sent me the amperiors with one cable, the remote control one (ios cable)....

After exposing this situation to amazon i was offered a 15 euro refund....

Can i buy a decent regular cable for my amperiors with 15 euros? What stores do you guys suggest and what cable extension? I was about to try and purchase the original extension that usually come with the amperior but after reading that it is a bit flimsy i may be opened to other suggestions.... But the length has to be the same as the original extension since it is mostly intended for portable use...

(Although something original from sennheiser would be always nice since it would be matching.... :p

But if there are cooler and more durable options feel free to share... :) )

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #779 of 1,054
  Just use the remote control cable. There is no problem with it. The other cable wasn't much thicker, if at all.

Of course there is no problem.... :) When conected to my ipod or my nexus 7... But if i concect the remote control cable to my xperia Arc S it does not works.... So i really need an extension to use with devices that are not compatible with 3 ringed ios cables....

Sennheiser Portugal emailed me and the price for the original extension is almost 15 euros.... if the regular extension that comes with the amperior is too flimsy and fragile than i may be thinking of buying a high quality chinese cable on ebay..... XD

But of course i am that type of guy who likes to keep everything with the stock materials in case i need to sell some day.... :)

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #780 of 1,054
  Of course there is no problem.... :) When conected to my ipod or my nexus 7... But if i concect the remote control cable to my xperia Arc S it does not works.... So i really need an extension to use with devices that are not compatible with 3 ringed ios cables....

Sennheiser Portugal emailed me and the price for the original extension is almost 15 euros.... if the regular extension that comes with the amperior is too flimsy and fragile than i may be thinking of buying a high quality chinese cable on ebay..... XD

But of course i am that type of guy who likes to keep everything with the stock materials in case i need to sell some day.... :)

this is the one i use (as a spare)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3ft-3-5mm-Male-to-Female-Stereo-Audio-Headphone-Extension-Cable-black-/151385804563?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item233f4c0f13&_uhb=1

theres also this
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/50cm-3-5mm-4-Pole-Male-to-Female-headphone-earphone-Extension-Cord-Audio-Adapter-/201153099013?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2ed5a8b505&_uhb=1

ideally look for things around 1.2m in length plus their cheap 

the first one is good quality, i use it almost everyday on my desktop

essentially any female to male 3.5mm cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back