Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #541 of 1,054
While I've never had the privilege of owning the original HD-25's or the Momentum's I do own the Amperior's and can tell you that while they have quite a lot of bass it is more mid than sub (in other words you won't get the low rumbling in the 30-70Hz range like you would from say a pair of 80ohm DT 770's while listening to certain types of electronica) yet,a clean punchy and well controlled impactful bass around the 80-110Hz range. as far as comfort I have read more than a few reviews here and on other sites by people who own both the HD-25's and the Amperiors and one thing they all agree on is that both headphones have a very strong clamping force and thus a good seal,yet the Amperior's are more comfortable due to the ear cushions on them being more of a velour than pleather style fabric the HD-25's use, it is also agreed upon that the Amperiors are a step up in over all sound quality.

I wish I could compare all three headphones directly for you (as I would love to own all three
o2smile.gif
) and agree with bixby in that JerryBerry's thoughts on the subject are about as concise/succinct as you could ask for ,though I also understand your wanting to hear other thoughts on the matter from more users before financially committing to a pair of headphones you haven't had a chance to audition in person. I'd suggest checking out the reviews here as well as on other headphone sites .also it seems that there have been a lot of sales on the Amperior's lately (in many cases for less than half the MSRP) and so if you can pick up a pair used either here or on ebay or through a reputable seller in your own country I would highly suggest that you get them now before they end up costing as much if not more than their retail price (such as has happened with the Denon AH D2000's and other quality cans no longer in production). I was fortunate enough to purchase my Amperior's new in the box for (with tax and shipping included) only $152 which is nearly 60% off the retail price of $349,and I have been in love with them since they arrived and use them more than all my other headphones combined since they work great for so many genre's (everything from Electronica to Metal to Jazz to Punk Rock to New Wave to Classic Rock). it also doesn't hurt that they look amazing, are easy to drive through any portable player and that if you ever need replacement parts for them most are interchangeable with the HD-25.it would be hard to imagine a better sounding pair of headphones for under $200 (even if you get them used,so long as they are well taken care of).

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #542 of 1,054
I have the HD25-1 originals, got them last year new old stock. Mind you, these are NOT the HD25-1 II but the older model. Love them to bits. Got the Amperios when they were on new egg for $149 and love them as well. Pretty similar sounding, Amperiors easier to drive mobile, stationary with a good amp both sounds great. The Amperior has a slight advantage at the bass and sounds a bit more controlled in my opinion. But the difference is not huge. Both re very comfortable with an edge to the Amperiors as well.

But are they rumbling? No, thank god they are not. But they have great bass.

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #543 of 1,054
  I think Jerry berry coverd quite succinctly.  I don't think there is anything more to add.  What is your decision?  Curious minds want to know 
happy_face1.gif

I am evaluating the market....

I am going to share my thougts with you guys.... I live in a Portugal... a place where economics is well.... bad... XD

I am the type of guy who likes bang for buck and of course likes bargains.

I got my hd25's for 70 euros. No box, no recipt but in absolut mint condition. I got the after selling a pair of ath m50's for 85 euros. I paid 70 euros for the m50's when i got them so basically with the extra i eaned on the m50's the m50's basically costed me 55 euros euros... 

After hearing a couple of people my thoughts are this.... everyone likes the amperior sound, but it seems to me that although being an improvement over the hd25's the difference is barely noticeable.

Also there seems to be some pros and cons. While the sound is slightly better on the amperiors, there seems to be some division. For example roma101 told me that he ended selling his amperiors because he liked the sound of the hd25's better among other factors.... those other factores are the build and the confort.

On one hand the amperiors seem to be more confortable because of a tiny bit less of clamping and also because of the velour(?) pads. On the other hand many peolple complain that the cable on the amperior is flimsy and that the weight added by the aluminium cups laves something to be desired when compared to the lightweight hd25....

In terms of market re-sell value my thoughts are this....

The hd25 is still easyer to re-sell than the amperior.... why do i think this....?

Last weak (i knnow shame on me...) i posted two ads online for a pair of my hd25's and other add for a pair of amperiors to test the market responde in case i wanted to sell any of them (my initial thought was to get the amperiors, compare with the 25's and sell the one i did not find better)....

I posted the adds with the following price...

Hd25's initially at 80 euros and i raised until 120....
the amperiors i putted a 100 euros price tag and never changed,....

Until the 100 euro mark i got about 3 proposals each day for the 25's and we are talking about a headphone without box and recipt (and is also the basic edition, so no bag and no velour pads as well).
On one day i even said **** it lets raise and raised the price of the 25's to 120 euros... not much interest but still i had a guy willing to pay me 120 euros for them.

The amperiors on the same period (1 week) with the description of "boxed, with recipt for warranty and bought on amazon" for 100 euros had....  about what.... 2 proposals?

So basically if i am looking at resell value indoors (portuguese ground) the hd25's is still a much better value than the amperiors..... 

So basically now i am trying to figure out the amazon policies to find out what i loose in case i do not like the amperiors that much....

Hope i sove my case on the next days......

I know shame on me for putting to adds just to test the market, but advertinsing websites can be very usefull when i am not sure about getting something and findinf out wich item is more profitable....

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #545 of 1,054
Interesting economics at work in Portugal.  

The higher price point for the Senn HD25 could be related to the fact that the Amperiors were introduced in Jan of 2012 and discontinued in fall of 2013.  So a life just shy of a year.

Contrast this with the original Senn being introduced in 1987, some say 1985 but let's use 1987.  And since their intro they have been marketed to the DJ and poor audio markets.  And they are still selling the current version.  So 26 years vs less than 1.

No wonder people might have heard of and be willing to pay more for the HD25 used vs an Amperior.

In the US that might be like saying you can run an ad for a used Honda Civic that has been sold for ages in the US or you can run an ad for a Saturn Astra(rebadged Opel) that lived for a year or two.  How many people do you think would respond to the Saturn Astra ad? 

In any case , do what you have to do to convince yourself to make the plunge.  Personally, I think spending about double for a move from the HD 25 to the Amperior is not what I would do.  If I were spending double I think I would want a much bigger difference in SQ.

Also for what it is worth, I did include the Amperior and Momentum in a mini review of 6 portable cans on my blog linked in my signature below if you would like another opinion on the Amperiors.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #546 of 1,054
  Interesting economics at work in Portugal.  

The higher price point for the Senn HD25 could be related to the fact that the Amperiors were introduced in Jan of 2012 and discontinued in fall of 2013.  So a life just shy of a year.

Contrast this with the original Senn being introduced in 1987, some say 1985 but let's use 1987.  And since their intro they have been marketed to the DJ and poor audio markets.  And they are still selling the current version.  So 26 years vs less than 1.

No wonder people might have heard of and be willing to pay more for the HD25 used vs an Amperior.

In the US that might be like saying you can run an ad for a used Honda Civic that has been sold for ages in the US or you can run an ad for a Saturn Astra(rebadged Opel) that lived for a year or two.  How many people do you think would respond to the Saturn Astra ad? 

In any case , do what you have to do to convince yourself to make the plunge.  Personally, I think spending about double for a move from the HD 25 to the Amperior is not what I would do.  If I were spending double I think I would want a much bigger difference in SQ.

Also for what it is worth, I did include the Amperior and Momentum in a mini review of 6 portable cans on my blog linked in my signature below if you would like another opinion on the Amperiors.

Cool m8..... i am going to read it right now thank you very much.....
So the differences between the hd25 and the amperiors are that sutle and not worth it?
To get the amperiors it would not cost me an arm an a leg.... as i said i can sell my hd25's for 120 euros and with 15 or 20 euros more i could get the amperiors new on amazon.... the questions is are they worth that trouble or not really?
COnfortwise would it be better or do you think that as many people say the added confort from the velour pads and less clamping is ruined by the heavier cups?

Oh and by the way.... since you tested the 25's and the amperiors, i know that they are different signatures but to your ears wich was closer to the momentums...?

Wich would be to you a much bigger difference in sq when compared to the momentums, amperiors and hd25 (if possible keeping the isolation and portability.... or not..... :)  )?

To your ears.... are the momentums a improvement over the 25/amperior or not really (just different sound sigs...)?

Going to read your blog now.... :)

Sorry for so many questions... :)

Edit: Just read your blog.... you seemed to like the amperiors better.... one of the things i liked on the momentums was the sendse of higher resolution... never hear anything like that to be honest.... but also i never tested much headphones... the momentums and the hd558's must have been the best i have tested so far.... i had the exactly same problems as you with the momentums, i loved the sound more than anything but when it was not the disconfort, it was the lack of seal that anoyed me and in the end i waisted more time paying attention to the seal issues and consequent bass loss than to the music itself..... it was a pitty because i really loved them to the point of trying 3 different pairs....

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #548 of 1,054
  Cool m8..... i am going to read it right now thank you very much.....
So the differences between the hd25 and the amperiors are that sutle and not worth it?  Just basing that on about 60 Euros paid or so for the 25s vs 130 euros or more after shipping for the Amps.
To get the amperiors it would not cost me an arm an a leg.... as i said i can sell my hd25's for 120 euros and with 15 or 20 euros more i could get the amperiors new on amazon.... the questions is are they worth that trouble or not really?  For a 15-20 euro upgrade it may definitely be worth it
Comfortwise would it be better or do you think that as many people say the added confort from the velour pads and less clamping is ruined by the heavier cups? Been a while since I had the 25s but they were like vises for me as well as the Amps.  Both were too uncomfortable for me, but your head may vary.

Oh and by the way.... since you tested the 25's and the amperiors, i know that they are different signatures but to your ears wich was closer to the momentums...?  Been too long for me on the 25s so I could not say which is closer.

Wich would be to you a much bigger difference in sq when compared to the momentums, amperiors and hd25 (if possible keeping the isolation and portability.... or not..... :)  )?

To your ears.... are the momentums a improvement over the 25/amperior or not really (just different sound sigs...)?  Both of these questions come down to personal taste.  Clearly I think the Amps are better than the 25s and the Amps better than the Momentums, but many folks would take the Momentums over the Amps.

Going to read your blog now.... :)

Sorry for so many questions... :)

Edit: Just read your blog.... you seemed to like the amperiors better.... one of the things i liked on the momentums was the sendse of higher resolution... never hear anything like that to be honest.... but also i never tested much headphones... the momentums and the hd558's must have been the best i have tested so far.... i had the exactly same problems as you with the momentums, i loved the sound more than anything but when it was not the disconfort, it was the lack of seal that anoyed me and in the end i waisted more time paying attention to the seal issues and consequent bass loss than to the music itself..... it was a pitty because i really loved them to the point of trying 3 different pairs....

Lots of questions but let me comment on your edit paragraph.  As for comfort, if you can live with the HD 25s you can live with the Amperiors.  As for Momentums vs Amperiors.  I prefer a more forward midrange vs a laid back or warm midrange.  I am just used to that with my studio monitor speakers.  As for improvement over the Momentums, that is a matter of taste.  Two things bother me with some headphones, one is bass that is bloated and bleeds into the lower mids and another is peaky, brittle, or harsh highs.  I think the Momentums serve up more of the former but many characterize it as more texture.  Lots of folks like it so take it for what it is worth and apply your own likes and dislikes.

See my other comments above in your quoted text.

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #549 of 1,054
  Lots of questions but let me comment on your edit paragraph.  As for comfort, if you can live with the HD 25s you can live with the Amperiors.  As for Momentums vs Amperiors.  I prefer a more forward midrange vs a laid back or warm midrange.  I am just used to that with my studio monitor speakers.  As for improvement over the Momentums, that is a matter of taste.  Two things bother me with some headphones, one is bass that is bloated and bleeds into the lower mids and another is peaky, brittle, or harsh highs.  I think the Momentums serve up more of the former but many characterize it as more texture.  Lots of folks like it so take it for what it is worth and apply your own likes and dislikes.

See my other comments above in your quoted text.

Thank you very much for all your replys bixby.... after reading your impressions, your blog and other useres opinions i am starting to get the feeling that although cleaner and more refined the amperior is less warm and less bassy than the hd25-1 II.... Quite interesting.... all this time i had the impression that the amperior was indeed more refined and clearer, but also that it was a bit bassier and therefore warmer.... guess not....

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #550 of 1,054
  Thank you very much for all your replys bixby.... after reading your impressions, your blog and other useres opinions i am starting to get the feeling that although cleaner and more refined the amperior is less warm and less bassy than the hd25-1 II.... Quite interesting.... all this time i had the impression that the amperior was indeed more refined and clearer, but also that it was a bit bassier and therefore warmer.... guess not....

I dont know how you got to that conclusion but for me the amperiors are as ive said, better sounding with a better bass punch ... It is also less sibilant thatn hd25s . Its easier to drive. 2 me its also miles ahead of the momentums as that is warm and bass is less controlled to an extent. 

It aslo looks and feels better 2 me. and in years to come its price will go up as its a limited edition model that has ceased production. :) 

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #554 of 1,054
Second day of using the Amperior. Awesome for metal, although comfort is not that amazing (expected for on-ear I guess) and a bit more sub-bass would have been appreciated. I really couldn't see myself living with the flimsy stock cables so I ordered an Oyaide HPC-HD25 cable. I'm not sure on ordering a clamp set yet since I can just flip the cups upside down and let the cables hang downwards right?

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #555 of 1,054
  Second day of using the Amperior. Awesome for metal, although comfort is not that amazing (expected for on-ear I guess) and a bit more sub-bass would have been appreciated. I really couldn't see myself living with the flimsy stock cables so I ordered an Oyaide HPC-HD25 cable. I'm not sure on ordering a clamp set yet since I can just flip the cups upside down and let the cables hang downwards right?

Assuming the aftermarket cables are equal in length, that should work quite nicely.  Honestly I've had no issues with the stock cables other than the extender bit breaking after a few weeks.  My replacement works well enough... despite being rather cheap in quality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back