Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Nov 3, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #991 of 1,054
Hey guys,
I've owned my amps for about 3 years now and they have started to bug out. I will get the left and right ears losing volume and ill have to push in their cables to get them both firing at the right volume.

I hit up Sennheiser and they recommended a new cable set for $137 plus shipping..
http://service.sennheiser.com.au/search?search=549332

Any advice? sounds like a few other people are using different / better cables?

- J

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #992 of 1,054
Hey guys,
I've owned my amps for about 3 years now and they have started to bug out. I will get the left and right ears losing volume and ill have to push in their cables to get them both firing at the right volume.

I hit up Sennheiser and they recommended a new cable set for $137 plus shipping..
http://service.sennheiser.com.au/search?search=549332

Any advice? sounds like a few other people are using different / better cables?

- J

you can buy hd25 cable for them on ebay etc, if you dont need a remote on it. the cable might have broken at the point it comes out from the band, i had it new and it was already chewed on cause of they way they are designed.

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #993 of 1,054

Are you talking about damping? That's one thing that was improve from the HD25.

image stolen from innerfidelity

I really don't hear any resonance issues with the Amperiors...

bfbb4dc1944b7f1a480b1508e4157052.png
There's some ringing. So to be fair, I suppose the decay of the mid treble is pretty damn fast compared to other headphones, though I mean it still sounds boxed in, you can hear the treble bounce off the casing a little bit as it sounds a bit "metallic".

@Slaphead Very interesting stuff, though I would think everyone be trying to find the most ruler flat headphones for all these functions, and with slightly emphasized bass when mastering, because most people's audio equipment emphasizes the bass. I know when using speakers, there's apparently a certain speaker everyone uses as a golden standard because it mimics consumer audio equipment.

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #994 of 1,054

bfbb4dc1944b7f1a480b1508e4157052.png
There's some ringing. So to be fair, I suppose the decay of the mid treble is pretty damn fast compared to other headphones, though I mean it still sounds boxed in, you can hear the treble bounce off the casing a little bit as it sounds a bit "metallic".

I guess it's there but I just can't hear it well. But thankfully, it isn't as apparent as, let's say, the Beyerdyamic T1, which is worse considering it's an open-back design.

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #995 of 1,054
Can somebody write up a brief comparison between the amperior and the aluminium.
Is it true the sound is more forwards and aggressvie with the lower impedance driver of the amperior? 

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #996 of 1,054
  Can somebody write up a brief comparison between the amperior and the aluminium.
Is it true the sound is more forwards and aggressvie with the lower impedance driver of the amperior? 

I changed both earpads to the Amperior Velour ( I had spares ) and compared side by side. They sound identical. The only difference was the position of the volume knob on my amps when doing volume matching. The aluminum needed more degrees in the turn than the Amperior. I'd take the Amperior due to it being slightly easier to drive for portable use.

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #997 of 1,054

I changed both earpads to the Amperior Velour ( I had spares ) and compared side by side. They sound identical. The only difference was the position of the volume knob on my amps when doing volume matching. The aluminum needed more degrees in the turn than the Amperior. I'd take the Amperior due to it being slightly easier to drive for portable use.

but surely there has to be some differences due to the different impedance drivers used.  
I don't know if I should just save money a used hd25 for $100-$150 or a brand new aluminum for $299 with 2 year local warranty. I've heard the the aluminum cuts themselves is worth the asking price because it's made of a single block which is expensive. I've owned 3 pairs of the standard hd25 and one amperior and if this aluminum edtion is going to the last iteration of the hd25 then I might as well spend the extra money as a memento of these legendary headphones. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #998 of 1,054

Interesting! Thanks.

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #999 of 1,054
Is it just me or is the hd25 clamping force supose to be high than the amp & alu? 
Could it be that I'm finding the alu to be lower due to the more cushiony pleather pad as oppose to papery textured pad? 

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #1,003 of 1,054
Has anyone swapped higher impedance hd-25 II DRIVERS into amperior cups? Would the be an improvement?

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #1,005 of 1,054
in the sale/for trade forum here. I would recommend you getting the aluminium though. 

Why is that? Are/they that much better than the amps? (I think the amps are great)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back