SennGrado Thread
Feb 1, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #181 of 518
  This one?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/142117/diy-woody-hf-1-pics-56k-warning

They look great, I'd be chuffed if I can get anywhere near that. But how did you get the pads to stay on, I thought you'd need a groove for that? I will be using a bench top drill, I can use some of the tools at my university. But sadly stuff like lathes are off-limits because of liability issues.

Looking at reviews of the V150's using that headband seems like a bad idea indeed, by OEM Grado you mean ordering a replacement from them? I couldn't find the Vivitar's here in Europe, but I quite like the band the of the Urbanears Plattan's, these €5,00 knockoffs look like a good donor for now. 

!!!  Holy cow yeah thats it.  Just realized my HF1 is older than I remembered, almost a decade old now.  I have since reverted it back to 100% stock / OEM... and it still sounds great!  I have always considered it a warm more pleasant version of my RS1.

But that mod was only for the outer half of the earcup.  The drivers remained in the plastic ring piece, so the pads still fit around that.

thanks for the fun walk down memory lane!!

In terms of OEM Grado headbands, I was thinking more along the lines of buying a used SR60 for $50 and pulling the headband and other parts from that.  I for one never found the SR headbands to be all that uncomfortable.

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #182 of 518
It won't be long now
tongue.gif

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #183 of 518
My SennGrado cups.

~D

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #184 of 518
  My SennGrado cups.

~D

Very nice!!!  

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #186 of 518
Got my holesaws in all the right sizes so I had a go with some scrap wood:

http://imgur.com/a/qmBQH

Tad rough around the edges, but more than happy with how it turned out. The grill fits perfectly, stays in place without glue.

Next step is finding the right wood and liberating the drivers from the frame. After that it's waiting for the donor headband and pads to arrive, I hope everything was shipped before Chinese new year. Then I can make the holes for the gimbals and a ring for the pads, already looking forward to finishing them. :)

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #187 of 518

Tad rough around the edges, but more than happy with how it turned out. The grill fits perfectly, stays in place without glue.

Next step is finding the right wood and liberating the drivers from the frame. After that it's waiting for the donor headband and pads to arrive, I hope everything was shipped before Chinese new year. Then I can make the holes for the gimbals and a ring for the pads, already looking forward to finishing them. :)

Well done! Great starting point...did you manage to make a seat for the driver? That was tricky for me...

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #188 of 518

A bit of sanding and you'll be ready to go. Did you put a lip on the inside for the screen?

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #189 of 518
Well done! Great starting point...did you manage to make a seat for the driver? That was tricky for me...

A bit of sanding and you'll be ready to go. Did you put a lip on the inside for the screen?

Yeah I did, here's a cross section of my Solidworks model:

So there's a lip for both. I used 4 different sizes for it. ~60mm for the outside diameter, 48mm about 8mm deep for the driver, 44mm for the main inner diamter and 38mm for the through hole. 

When I have perfected them and found the right wood I might do a small run to earn back the tools, not sure what the forum policy is on that, though?  

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #192 of 518

You can only charge for materials used if you sell in the forums. 

@TijmenK Unless you register as a member of the trade.

Even then it looks like you can't.

DIY items

DIY items strictly cannot be sold for more than the cost of parts and shipping. If you are a DIY'er who feels they should be compensated for their time, then you fall under our rules for Members of the Trade and you should contact a moderator or administrator about it. However, if you fall under our MOT rules, you cannot use the classifieds to carry on a business.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #193 of 518
Even then it looks like you can't.

DIY items

DIY items strictly cannot be sold for more than the cost of parts and shipping. If you are a DIY'er who feels they should be compensated for their time, then you fall under our rules for Members of the Trade and you should contact a moderator or administrator about it. However, if you fall under our MOT rules, you cannot use the classifieds to carry on a business.

Thanks. I should have been more specific. You can't sell them for a profit on the forums. MOT or not.

If you plan to post here that you have them for sale elsewhere, for a profit, then you need to register as a MOT.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #194 of 518
Thanks for the info guys, "cost of the parts" leaves some leeway I guess. I'll contact one of the mods by then and ask them what they think of it, I'm definitely not in it for making profit, just trying to minimize the costs of this expensive hobby. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #195 of 518
  Thanks for the info guys, "cost of the parts" leaves some leeway I guess. I'll contact one of the mods by then and ask them what they think of it, I'm definitely not in it for making profit, just trying to minimize the costs of this expensive hobby. 
smily_headphones1.gif

If you count the cost of your drill press as a part .....you could sell those cups for $395.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back