Senn upgrade or RS2?
Apr 5, 2007 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

makasin

100+ Head-Fier
I really wanna know what you guys think would be the best spent upgrade.
I have the hd650 setup in my sig but I am really interested in the RS2s.
What would you guys recommend me to do: purchase RS2s or upgrade to aftermarket cable and upgrade DAC?

I would like to get a detailed can that can sound really good for pretty much everything. I like warmth, lushness, but also like a kinda forward sound that is entertaining with rock, live music, electronica, rap, etc.

Here is the type of music I listen to:
http://www.last.fm/user/makasin/

Ideally, Id like to have one headphone, but RS2+HD650 is an option too.

Apr 5, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 34
the rs-2 actually complements the senns very well. I suggest you try an akg phone, but the akg 5/7 sounds much more ethereal and sometimes cannot be as intimate and textural as the grado. Maybe though if you try the akgs you will find that the compromise is not at all bad and you may just keep a 701 instead of two headphones..

Apr 5, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 34
I hear the 701s lack in the bass department, which is not something im really down for. I got the 650s in the first place because the 225s were lacking in the bass.

Apr 5, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 34
If I were in your position, I would keep the HD650, but I wouldn't blow the money on an aftermarket cable for it unless I were REALLY happy with its sound. If you want to try out another sound, I would point you to an RS-2 or HF-1 for the Grado Experience, or a K501 for the AKG (because of the saving over the K701).

I must at this point make the interjection which is expected of me, and say that you should try the Ergo 2 and see how you like it compared to the HD650.

Moving on you might also want to look at the DT880 or maybe the DT990 for Beyerdynamic. But the K501, K701 or the Beyers will all be closer in tone to the HD650 than they will be to the Grado house.

If the RS-2 buy involves selling the HD650 (which is the impression I get, then I would say don't do it. You seem to to be enjoying the HD650s, if you want to try the Grado Signature then start with the SR-60, MS-1 or the HF-1, and see how you enjoy it by comparison. If it isn't for you, then you've saved yourself a lot of trouble (and expense and time).

Following on from the Ergo slant, is the Stax slant, have you given consideration to trying an electrostatic?

Apr 5, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 34
Ok; just letting the poll stand on its' own four feet and adding nothing else, I would have to call on my own limited experience of having a nice set of complementary cans and suggest that two sets are fun.

Apr 5, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were in your position, I would keep the HD650, but I wouldn't blow the money on an aftermarket cable for it unless I were REALLY happy with its sound. If you want to try out another sound, I would point you to an RS-2 or HF-1 for the Grado Experience, or a K501 for the AKG (because of the saving over the K701).

I must at this point make the interjection which is expected of me, and say that you should try the Ergo 2 and see how you like it compared to the HD650.

Moving on you might also want to look at the DT880 or maybe the DT990 for Beyerdynamic. But the K501, K701 or the Beyers will all be closer in tone to the HD650 than they will be to the Grado house.

If the RS-2 buy involves selling the HD650 (which is the impression I get, then I would say don't do it. You seem to to be enjoying the HD650s, if you want to try the Grado Signature then start with the SR-60, MS-1 or the HF-1, and see how you enjoy it by comparison. If it isn't for you, then you've saved yourself a lot of trouble (and expense and time).

Following on from the Ergo slant, is the Stax slant, have you given consideration to trying an electrostatic?

definately a no on the ergos, I dont want to spend a large sum of money on something that looks like a headphone that was inspired by a box on the head. One reason I chose the RS2 is because I am familiar with the Grado sound (and I like it) and because of the sexy wood haha. I dont really care much for aesthetics, but it cant beo completely dumb looking.

I am kinda interested in electrostatics, but I dont know if you can get equal quality sound by getting an electrostat and the amp for 400 bucks?

Apr 5, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 34
I voted for getting the RS-2 and keeping the HD650. They would make a great pair for different kinds of music... or even different moods. You wouldn't get as much mileage out of things like cables and amps, in general.

Apr 5, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 34
I think the answer is obvious.... Choice 3!

Seriously, for long relaxing listening sessions (classical) I prefer my other headphones to the RS-2's. I'm sure you will feel the same way about your Senns.

Apr 5, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #9 of 34
Grados and Sennheiers make excellent complements. Keep the 650 and add the RS2 for rock.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #11 of 34
haha i was bored with my old one and found this weird obscure pic on some stupid webpage. thus, my avatar. But dont you worry, im looking for a "good" one now.

Apr 5, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #12 of 34
heres my more head-fi appropriate avatar hehe
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #13 of 34
What if I only realistically have enough cash for one can? which one should I pick?

Apr 5, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if I only realistically have enough cash for one can? which one should I pick?

Ah yes, that is the tough question and one that we cannot answer. There is good reason for the interminable debate between the upper Sennheiser and Grado echelons; that is, they are both excellent choices yet have completely polar sound signatures. In the case that you have to choose one, the best choice is to try them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back