Senn upgrade or RS2?
Apr 5, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #16 of 34
I voted get both before I saw this (why include the option if it isn't an option?): Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if I only realistically have enough cash for one can? which one should I pick?

... so now I'd say MS-Pro
rs1smile.gif

I personally haven't had the chance to audition it, but extrapolating from my MS2i and all the reviews here, they're supposed to be more all-round than Grados and more fun than Senns

*edit: you never mentioned what that 'one can' may cost
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #17 of 34
No I meant to say is that ultimately I want to stick with one can and sell the other one (senn vs grado) I hope I like the RS2 enough for my music to do so. If not ill keep both, but it would be awesome if i could save a couple bucks hehe. Im a poor student, I need to eat. hehe

Apr 5, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #18 of 34
RS2 isn't that best choice for ELECTRONICA & RAP music. For ROCK, yes you can try it, but from my experience they can be a bit painful with some records. Not harsh or other problems, cos they are very good in balance, but just when you push the volume a bit, you know, the guitars can become to spiky on top. But other than that they will give you amazingly detailed, crystal clear and pretty punchy sound. For my taste:

1. AKG K340 - FOR ELECTRONICA
2. RS2 - FOR ACOUSTIC GUITARS/JAZZ/LIVE & SOME ROCK
3. Sennheiser HD485 - FOR RAP, HOWEVER I DO NOT LISTEN TO RAP OF ANY KIND. SO MAYBE YOU CAN KEEP YOUR HD650 FOR THAT AS WELL

Apr 5, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #19 of 34
How do you thing the low end of the RS2s compares with 650s low end? Does it extend as deep?
The headphone.com frequency response graphs indicate that the answer is no.

Apr 5, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #20 of 34
RS2 have very accurate and deep bass, but don't expect to be low enough for RAP, however I do not have any experience with RAP records with RS2. Personally I do not think they have been made for such music, but who I am to tell...
They are wonderful pair of phones that can bring you to other listening level. Also you can easier go and try other music to, JAZZ & ACOUSTIC MUSIC for example, and maybe you will understand what are they been made for. Buying RS2 is buying a ticket to a best place in the concert hall, you know what I mean... They are the hell of a different from HD650, totally another world. So if you ask me, buy or not buy, I say BUY
wink.gif

Quote:

How do you thing the low end of the RS2s compares with 650s low end? Does it extend as deep?
The headphone.com frequency response graphs indicate that the answer is no.

Apr 5, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #21 of 34
well i almost never really listen to rap anyway. I stick to rock, and all its flavors, and electronica and a couple of its flavors

Apr 5, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #22 of 34
give me some good jazz and acoustic records to sample. Spit out a couple names, I wanna try them out. Always been looking for some crazy acoustic stuff.

Apr 5, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #23 of 34
Just dont forget that RS2 do not have any of SOUNDSTAGE, which for ELECTRONICA is not that last, IMO.
They are:
1. Punchy up front of your face
2. Amazingely detailed, with a lot of space between the notes / instruments, not smashy, with great balance through the whole sound spectrum.
3. Fresh and airy, with feeling of light breeze on top
Supose you are like in the very muggy room for a couple of hours and after that you come outside and take a very deep fresh breath of Spring. Thats RS2 for me.

If you buy them and would like them, oh man, that's for life. I really miss them a lot with some records. If your budget strong enough, I would recommend the tube amp, strongly. One thing made me selling them is that they do not have enough body in sound, so I couldn’t enjoy them with all of my records. And that's where RS1 are much better choice, but for me, they were to colored, RS1 I mean. So once again, it do not make both of them bad or something. One does something better than another. That's why isn't that easy to make your choice, because all depends on your preferences in sound. And when you listen to a lot of different genres, makes only difficult to find one ultimate pair of phones to compromise with everything. I think I found it for now, not ultimate one of course, but who knows about the future...
wink.gif

Quote:

well i almost never really listen to rap anyway. I stick to rock, and all its flavors, and electronica and a couple of its flavors

Apr 5, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

definately a no on the ergos, I dont want to spend a large sum of money on something that looks like a headphone that was inspired by a box on the head. One reason I chose the RS2 is because I am familiar with the Grado sound (and I like it) and because of the sexy wood haha. I dont really care much for aesthetics, but it cant beo completely dumb looking.

I am kinda interested in electrostatics, but I dont know if you can get equal quality sound by getting an electrostat and the amp for 400 bucks?

You can't really judge a pair of headphones based on looks. My electrostats don't look that sexy either when you compare it to the likes of the HD580J, SR325i, K701, RS-2, etc...

You would have to bump your budget up to $433 for a set of SRS-2050A, which uses the SR-202 earspeaker and SRM-252A amp. This is the entry-level Stax set that will give you a good idea of what the electrostatic sound is really like. I haven't heard the SR-202 out of the SRM-252A, but I have out of a SRM-717 and let me tell you, the SR-202 really does impress. It doesn't quite have the bass punch, but the rest of the frequency range is detailed, refined and easy on the ears. There's a good chance you'd really like it. I'd put them in the same class as the K701/HD600 amped by a Hornet M with the differences coming down to taste. Depending on what music you like listening to (jazz, acoustic, electronic, classical, vocals), the SRS-2050A will probably be as good as whatever you're using at the moment.

I would advise against getting an aftermarket cable for the time being. Your rig is good, but still in its infancy compared to what it might blossom into later on. The aftermarket cable should be thought of as a refinement to an already mature rig. Your priorities should be headphone 1st, source 2nd, amp 3rd, cables 4th.

I haven't listened to 0404 USB, but word has it that it's a great source. Do you know for sure that the 0404 USB is better than the one you're using at the moment?

The RS-2 has pretty good resell value. It wouldn't hurt to try them out. What would be even better would be to buy from a dealer with a 30-day money back guarantee w/o a restocking fee. Give them a good week or two. If you don't like them, then just give them back for a refund.

Apr 5, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #25 of 34
I suggest getting the RS-2 and keeping the HD650s. They will benefit from the cable upgrade but the difference is subtle and I like the idea of can variety for you.

Apr 5, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #26 of 34
I found the RS-2 to be bright, forward, irritating, and uncomfortable...so uncomfortable that small sores would form on my ears. Also, I am not impressed with the build quality of Grado headphones. I very much prefer any of these: HD580, HD600, HD595.

Apr 5, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #27 of 34
I can say the same about Sennheiser. Meaning by that is that they are just boring to death
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtortorella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the RS-2 to be bright, forward, irritating, and uncomfortable...so uncomfortable that small sores would form on my ears. Also, I am not impressed with the build quality of Grado headphones. I very much prefer any of these: HD580, HD600, HD595.

Apr 5, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #28 of 34
For acoustics try PACO DE LUCIA, I have THE BEST OF 2CD set. Also THE ROSENBERG TRIO "SUENOS GITANOS", have this one as well and like it a lot.
Eric Clapton "Unplugged" is one to try as well. The song "Old Love" is my favorite one.

For JAZZ, DIANA KRALL "LIVE IN PARIS" is very fun to listen
For more serious JAZZ try NILS PETTER MOLVAER "Khmer"

Will post you some more later
wink.gif

Quote:

give me some good jazz and acoustic records to sample. Spit out a couple names, I wanna try them out. Always been looking for some crazy acoustic stuff.

Apr 6, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #29 of 34
Damn, after A/B'ing my 225s and 650s for the past couple of days, I can definately see why the senns are classified as 'boring' comparatively to grado. On the same song, I nod my head with the senns, but on the grados, I go into full on dangerous headbanging.

Apr 6, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #30 of 34
One more thing, why do the RS2s get such a terrible review on headphonereviews.org?
Should I be concerned?
It scores much lower than I expected, especially for a $500 part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back