Senn - Orpheus HEV 90//HE 90 Buy it now $28,000.00 on E bay
Oct 11, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #16 of 34
I'd rather a decent speaker set-up for that amount.

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #17 of 34
I actually heard these things at the (2004 I think) NY Audio show. I didn't think they sounded all that different from
the Stax Omega2/007ts they had there side by side. And nowadays, with the HD800s, PS1000s, and T1s
that can produce spectacular sound with a high-end amp and a great source and cables, I can't see spending this for sonic purposes.
Things have come a long way in recent years.

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #18 of 34
I asked this eBayer for the reason on how he/she arrived at $28995. Following is the response I received:

Seriously? this is straight up price gauging.

Oct 11, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #19 of 34

I asked this eBayer for the reason on how he/she arrived at $28995. Following is the response I received:

Recent ( past year) completed sales. Please make an offer. Thank you.

- timothy6145

Seriously? this is straight up price gauging.

Price gouging is usually applied to necessities.

When Hurricane Katrina hit and some gas stations raised their prices to something like $8 a gallon to capitalize on people desperate for gasoline to leave. That's price gouging.

But no one needs an Orpheus and there are plenty of substitute goods, like speakers. That's why I decided not to go to the highest rung of headphones (e.g. HE90, R10, et al.) because I thought that speakers offered better performance for the money at those levels. No regrets here.

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #23 of 34
Well you know, Sennhieser has been around a really long time, have a huge loyal customer base, and isn't disappearing anytime soon. This item is really a collectable, and for some people that has a sentimental value worth this price tag. The true value of an item is what a person is willing to pay for it. So to me, this actually makes sense. It's sold for 30k before, and the guy thinks it will sell for that much again. It's almost like having the rookie card of a really famous player... If it means that much to you, you will treasure it.

What doesn't make sense is someone paying $3000 for the Edition 10, which is an ugly piece of crap just made by a company that no one will care about in 5 years. There will always be limited runs of things happening... Those aren't valuable until it's been a long time and they're no longer available and people actually still want them. It's insane how on head-fi it's almost like the reverse... The price is super high when these novelty products come out, and quickly become obsolete after a year (becoming expectedly worthless).

I'm not saying I'm one of the people who want to own this Orpheous... But I think it'd be hypocritical of me to say that I'm above this kind of mentality, because I would probably pay a lot for a rare manuscript or something by an author that is special to me.

FYI... Obviously this isn't supposed to sell like a hotcake... He will have it up for months until he finds the right buyer. That's how these deals work.

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #27 of 34

Yeah, that. But I saw some for sale on the Internet. Fakes?

Likely. I've been thinking about a trip to White Sands to see the Trinity site - they open it twice a year. IIRC, it's illegal to remove Trinitite from the area.

However, you can legally buy and own uranium and other radioactive materials over the Internet (www.unitednuclear.com) if you want. Yet you cannot take a bottle of water on an airplane.

Go figure.

Oct 11, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #29 of 34

Quote:
Likely. I've been thinking about a trip to White Sands to see the Trinity site - they open it twice a year. IIRC, it's illegal to remove Trinitite from the area.

However, you can legally buy and own uranium and other radioactive materials over the Internet (www.unitednuclear.com) if you want. Yet you cannot take a bottle of water on an airplane.

Go figure.

Oh yes, saw that 50,000 CPM ore a long while ago. Always seems to be out of stock.
But why illegal? Makes no sense. Technically it's just radioactive glass. It's not like the Russians are going to reverse-engineer anything from a piece of glass.

Oct 11, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #30 of 34
That Sennheirser headphone is far too much! I could get a great Stax system going including new sources and DAC's for well under that amount. Meh it's just as overpriced as the R10 and Edition 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back