senn hd 650 vs beats
Oct 2, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #31 of 88
PM him, or make your own thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xirxes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This post is directed towards Uncle Eric, as you seem to be the "old salty" amongst the posters here and from what i can tell you dispense with the smalltalk.

I use my headphones specifically for computer gaming, with computer based music listening as a close second, portable ipod a distant third (rarely). However i appreciate a high quality of sound to be able to distinguish "3D" spacial oriented sounds in game; these subtle sounds give me a competative edge.

I have owned a pair of Sennheiser 280PRO's for a few years and have worn the earpieces off of them. I have been looking for something just recently, and last night ran into the BEATS at Best buy. The setup they have there REALLY impressed me over my Sennheisers, but i hear that is due to their specific setup there at the store. I do have to admit that the noise cancellation is very impressive in my situation, compared to the 280PRO's, and i do find that i enjoy the sound better than the old cans as well.

Long story short, i actually am using the BEATS now, and from what i read they are not the best for the buck, but considering my specific needs, perhaps they are the best option.

My requirements are: Closed Ear setup with noise canceling (i live in small apt. with girl who ALWAYS watches television across room), Good bass and quality mixed high's mid's lows.

I have a high end gaming sound card (Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi), which i believe is still one of the better gaming based cards powering the unit.

What headsets for the same price range (250-300) would you recommend for my specific druthers over the BEATS if any?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #33 of 88
I found no redeeming feature on the beats. I think they're ugly, uncomfortable, have a weird sound signature, no distinction of instruments (muddy), boomy bass, no highs, and and unimaginably high price tag

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #34 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by xirxes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This post is directed towards Uncle Eric, as you seem to be the "old salty" amongst the posters here and from what i can tell you dispense with the smalltalk.

I use my headphones specifically for computer gaming, with computer based music listening as a close second, portable ipod a distant third (rarely). However i appreciate a high quality of sound to be able to distinguish "3D" spacial oriented sounds in game; these subtle sounds give me a competative edge.

I have owned a pair of Sennheiser 280PRO's for a few years and have worn the earpieces off of them. I have been looking for something just recently, and last night ran into the BEATS at Best buy. The setup they have there REALLY impressed me over my Sennheisers, but i hear that is due to their specific setup there at the store. I do have to admit that the noise cancellation is very impressive in my situation, compared to the 280PRO's, and i do find that i enjoy the sound better than the old cans as well.

Long story short, i actually am using the BEATS now, and from what i read they are not the best for the buck, but considering my specific needs, perhaps they are the best option.

My requirements are: Closed Ear setup with noise canceling (i live in small apt. with girl who ALWAYS watches television across room), Good bass and quality mixed high's mid's lows.

I have a high end gaming sound card (Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi), which i believe is still one of the better gaming based cards powering the unit.

What headsets for the same price range (250-300) would you recommend for my specific druthers over the BEATS if any?

Thanks in advance for your input.

If your cup of tea is closed headphones, check out the Audio Technica a900.

MUCHMUCHMUCH better then the Beats. That would be my recommendation for your price range, but just about any closed or open pair of audiophile grade headphones above $200 would be better then the Beats. The Beats should realistically be priced at about $120.

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #35 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by IDK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what mp3 player could i pair with the HD650's to get close to its full sound without using an Amp?

None, unfortunately. The Amp3 would be the best choice, but it still wouldn't be close to it's potential. The 650s just aren't mp3 player headphones. You need something to power them.

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #36 of 88
Why are you even considering either of these for a portable headphone? If you want a 650, get a good DAC/CD player, a desktop amp and some PX100s or IEMs for you MP3 player. No Matter how fly you think the 650 is, It will not sound too well from your ipod.

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #38 of 88
well that sucks....since i have no purpose for them, i guess i just throw them in the closet and get some cheaper ones

does anyone know how the sound quality of the sennheiser mx w1's, and the HD555's?

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #40 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... wouldn't it just be easier for everyone if we told every new guy inquiring about the Beats that they are indeed the best headphone ever created?

Yes, but karma would come kick our butts for it.
tongue.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #41 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatt1guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know that the senns are better overall, it is just a question to me of how much better. Highs? Mids? Lows? Bass? etc

Clearly, as a person new to head-fi, you are not there yet as far as believing people when they tell you about amps and DACs and the difference they make with high end 'phones. For all you know, we are all a little too excited about audio and the differences are exaggerated, or maybe you're thinking that the differences may not be as apparent to you, personally. You may get there - to the point where you splurge on a real amp and DAC, or you may decide... good enough for headphones, and end your head-fi evolution at good phones straight out of a mp3 player, only time will tell.

But since you ask ..... the 650 is much, much much better. Better highs: clearer, more extended, less fatiguing. Better lows - bass that actually sounds more natural and again more extended. Better mids. Even straight out of an ipod. The only place it will lose out of an mp3 player is in loudness.

That said, those who have heard the 650 at its best will tell you that it does not sound as good out of an mp3 player as it does out of a good source and amp (like many of the posters in this thread.) But in the absence of such a comparison (i.e. amped versus unamped), it still sounds great out of an mp3 player, just not as good as it could out of a real amp. It will still beat the pants off of the Beats, straight out of an iPod.

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #43 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... wouldn't it just be easier for everyone if we told every new guy inquiring about the Beats that they are indeed the best headphone ever created?

As a "new guy" if you had been doing that I'm glad I listened to several sets of phones before I bought Grado SR60's (which then one day later exchanged for SR80's)

I had listened to beats, some $100 creative "gaming" headphones, several pairs of closed ear denons, and in the end was most impressed for the price with the Grado.

Sure I understood that the build quality is subjective, but then again typically i see the abuse most people put on equipment and firmly believe looking at the overall build quality on my SR80's that people are just too hard on their equipment and expect miracles in terms of durability
smily_headphones1.gif

But again, I always treat everything I own with respect. I do believe consumers have become a little "too" picky when it comes to overall durability. But I can understand if a person is abusive or a little "rough" with his or her equipment they will be concerned with longevity.

Anyways back to why I quoted you, if you guys had told me to buy beats and I did i would have been let down and not trusted the opinions of posters here ever again.

The encouraging feedback i received on my purchase made me feel that I had made the right decision. Having listened to the beats at best buy i was immediately put off by what as a noob I could only describe as fake sounding bass and muddy sounds, the highs and mids were horrible sounding in contrast to even the cheaper SR60's.

Out of every unit i tested ( i was about to buy cans that i could not listen to) I kept coming back to the Grado's for my purchase. Sure my room mates SR225's kinda made me swing in the Grado direction from the onset but maybe its just that I like what some people refer to as the "grado sound"

I expect pads to last a year and then be replaced, of course my cat could degrade that life time but I tend to spray him with water when he gets near my cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Either way, i think with the beats all your paying for is the name and "image" and the cool factor that the under 25 crowd will say ooh look at me im badass i purchased expensive headphones with terrible sound but Im cool because they say Dre on them.. and really that is in my opinion all the beats are for.

As for sound, heck even $40 Sony's sound better then the Beats i believe.

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #44 of 88
I'm not so new that i think that the beats vs the 650s are a real comparison i just wanted to know the extent. To what extent are the 650s better, to what extent are the beats worse. With all this senn 650 favoring however, i think that i have found my answer that the 650s and beats are worlds apart. Thank you for your inputs

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #45 of 88
HD650 + Compass = not too bad... = ~$700. Full set up right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back