senn hd 650 vs beats
Apr 2, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #61 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRookie52 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way I have listened to the Beats and have a pair of sub $50 dollar headphones, the two are in different classes altogether.

...you mean one goes boom more than the other?

I don't think you and the others who say positive things about the beats really understand music at all; if on one hand all you listen to is rap, R&B etc then you're excused. On the other hand if you listen to music with bass that is comprised of musical notes that are distinguishable from each other you should know better. Quality bass notes from an amped headphone will vary in tone and depth, there is also a difference in timber from say a bass guitar to a piano. If all you hear is boom and ignore the bass notes then you will of course prefer the beats.

The bottom line is if you like music you won't like the beats.

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #63 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...you mean one goes boom more than the other?

I don't think you and the others who say positive things about the beats really understand music at all; if on one hand all you listen to is rap, R&B etc then you're excused. On the other hand if you listen to music with bass that is comprised of musical notes that are distinguishable from each other you should know better. Quality bass notes from an amped headphone will vary in tone and depth, there is also a difference in timber from say a bass guitar to a piano. If all you hear is boom and ignore the bass notes then you will of course prefer the beats.

The bottom line is if you like music you won't like the beats.

Graphicism I understand music completely, I play more instruments than you have fingers on your hands and I listen to just as much music as the next head fi member.

You have proven that the title of "headphoneus supremus" is not a measure of audiophilistic knowledge but simply a benefit of your volume of post. As well as lacking the ability to provide a simple yet beneficial opinion you also appear to lack reading comprehension skills. Never once did I say a negative or positive thing about the beats (im not a beats fan IMO).

The poster has a question that doesn't fall in line with the absolute fandom that runs a muck on head fi, therefore people are literally laughing at him and belittling the question in which he asked in earnest. Give me a break, you guys are reminiscent of adolescent school children.

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #64 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portable? Unamped? SRH440 should satisfy you.
Or, for this kind of money, SRH840 + $100-ish amp. Way better than the beats.

I agree I like the SRH840s. What amp would you recommend for $100ish

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #65 of 88
Well, IMO, I prefer the SRH840 unamped over the SRH440 amped. I have a HeadRoom Total AirHead. Or, you could probably find an uber-Cmoy for a hundred bucks.
The SRH840 has lots of potential. Hey, this 'phone is worth being driven by an Apache.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #66 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRookie52 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Graphicism I understand music completely, I play more instruments than you have fingers on your hands and I listen to just as much music as the next head fi member.

You have proven that the title of headphone supremus is not a measure of audiophilistic knowledge but simply a benefit of your volume of post. As well as lacking the inability to provide a simple yet beneficial opinion you also appear to lack reading comprehension skills. Never once did I say a negative or positive thing about the beats (im not a beats fan IMO).

The poster has a question that doesn't fall in line with the absolute fandom that runs a muck on head fi, therefore people are literally laughing at him and belittling the question in which he asked in earnest. Give me a break, you guys are reminiscent of adolescent school children.

...This is one of those internet arguments isn't it.
frown.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #67 of 88
Haha your almost persuading me to trade my beyers dt770s in for the shures. lol Its been awhile since I heard the shure 840s (I know they are great phones tho). Have you heard the beyer 770s, if so do you think the srh840s are better?

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #68 of 88
Congrats Graphicism I see your wit is still intact, now if you would return to the original purpose of this forum.

Thank you

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #70 of 88
You get to Supremus faster if you use two.

I would not recommend the Beats. I heard them and didn't like them, and many people are having problems where they fall apart.

Apr 3, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #72 of 88
Beats? No! Absolutely not!

Before I tried a Beats at Best Buy I THOUGHT they are GREAT phones. I wanted to see how amazing $300 phones sound like. I put them on and I was like "What???". They SUCK! Sound much worse than my SRH440. I was confused because I always thought they are good phones. I then convinced myself that they were not fully burnt in.

After few months I came back. Now I have listened to some more headphones: HD555, D5000, D7000, M50. I put them on give them another shot. Again, they SUCK! $300? My SRH440 is $75. My HD555 is $80. My M50 is $75. My SR-202 is around $300. And they all beat the Beats hands down.

If one ever offer me a Beats for $70 and do not allow me to sell it, I say "Thanks, but no thank!"

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #73 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beats? No! Absolutely not!

Before I tried a Beats at Best Buy I THOUGHT they are GREAT phones. I wanted to see how amazing $300 phones sound like. I put them on and I was like "What???". They SUCK! Sound much worse than my SRH440. I was confused because I always thought they are good phones. I then convinced myself that they were not fully burnt in.

After few months I came back. Now I have listened to some more headphones: HD555, D5000, D7000, M50. I put them on give them another shot. Again, they SUCK! $300? My SRH440 is $75. My HD555 is $80. My M50 is $75. My SR-202 is around $300. And they all beat the Beats hands down.

If one ever offer me a Beats for $70 and do not allow me to sell it, I say "Thanks, but no thank!"

Quite illogical considering that you tried the Beats out at Best Buy with that horrendous and sorry excuse of a listening station, then judging their quality solely based off of that.

Apr 4, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #74 of 88
Other than ambient noise that was pretty quiet in Best Buy at the time I was listening to it, there is nothing special about my rig back then. I feed my SRH440/HD555/M50 using iPhone or laptop and used the same song.

And at the same Best Buy, same hour, I tried a much cheaper Sony and it sounds a lot better.

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #75 of 88
It seems that the listening stations are tweaked to FUBAR.
Try this: Buy a set, plug them into your sources (I see you have a Lappy and an iPhone) and have a listen. Then return them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back