senn hd 650 vs beats
Oct 3, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #46 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatt1guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not so new that i think that the beats vs the 650s are a real comparison i just wanted to know the extent. To what extent are the 650s better, to what extent are the beats worse. With all this senn 650 favoring however, i think that i have found my answer that the 650s and beats are worlds apart. Thank you for your inputs

But don't you see how silly this is? ... I mean you can't really know how bad the beats are if your bringing a headphone like the 650 into the equation. The Beats are $300 in the store and stores pay anywhere between 30-50% per item, so even at 50% were now looking at $150, Dr. Dre takes a large chunk per headphone, marketing costs millions... you are likely looking at a headphone that without all the above would cost between $30-$50 on Amazon.

So perhaps a better comparison would be the $50 Sony XB-500, give those a listen sound-by-side and see which you prefer.

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #47 of 88
What company manufactures the drivers in the Beats headphones? Monster?

Oct 3, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #49 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it's a generic 20Hz-20kHz speaker, the same ones you find in $15 headphones...

Proof?

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #50 of 88
Quote:

The Beats are $300 in the store and stores pay anywhere between 30-50% per item, so even at 50% were now looking at $150, Dr. Dre takes a large chunk per headphone, marketing costs millions... you are likely looking at a headphone that without all the above would cost between $30-$50 on Amazon.

How did you work this one out? I have no idea how much Dr Dre takes from these headphones (do you?) but other items sold at Fry's are not always 30-50% cheaper than Amazon, unless I misread your post.

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #53 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you work this one out? I have no idea how much Dr Dre takes from these headphones (do you?) but other items sold at Fry's are not always 30-50% cheaper than Amazon, unless I misread your post.

Stores like Best buy pay 30-50% the RRP for products, thats how they can afford to operate. For instance if a product is $300 they will likely pay between $150 and $90 depending on how many units they buy at a time. This is typically why you don't see the likes of Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic to name a few are not sold at Best buy, it simply isn't economical.

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #54 of 88
Quote:

Stores like Best buy pay 30-50% the RRP for products, thats how they can afford to operate. For instance if a product is $300 they will likely pay between $150 and $90 depending on how many units they buy at a time. This is typically why you don't see the likes of Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic to name a few are not sold at Best buy, it simply isn't economical.

I remember when I used to work for home depot, I did a lot of ordering for our kitchen and tileware department.

Its pretty amazing how much Home Depot pays vs the consumer. But on a lot of products there is very litte profit margin.

They make the biggest product on cables, wires, small tools etc.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #55 of 88
Too much Beats hatred.

Beats > HD650 out of an iPod. Can't believe someone actually tried saying otherwise. And yes, I've tried both out of an iPod.

All amped up.... depends on your taste. I find it funny lots of people complain about the Beats as too bassy.... HD650 is plenty bassy, too. The great thing about the Beats is that you can EQ them into thundering impactful bass monsters... funny someone in this thread also denied this and said the demo units didn't have impactful bass. That's the biggest blandest lie I've ever seen, shame on the guy if he actually thought so.

My bottomline? Beats Studios isn't worth $350 dollars. But then, I don't think the HD650 is, either. I paid about $250 for my HD650s. I thought that was still a little overpriced but it was ok. I paid $100 for a pair of DT770s used. That was a great buy in my book. The Beats, I would buy if I could get it for about $200. But it's being sold here locally for about $450. Not worth it.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #57 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the Beats but not the Senns, and the Senns are better.
biggrin.gif

I'm not picking on you mate but its funny to see how you have only listened to one headphone and you are able to choose one headphone over the other.

People come to head fi for experienced opinions and the sharing of ideals not just to hear the echoing of other people's voices.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #58 of 88
Quote:

Well it's a generic 20Hz-20kHz speaker, the same ones you find in $15 headphones...

Im sorry but thats just untrue. Your statement doesnt really make sense.

No amount of marketing could get people to buy heaphones that utilize the same speakers found in $15 dollar headphones for 20x the price. Many say they are not worth their price tag but for a $150 dollars less most people would feel they should be right at home.

By the way I have listened to the Beats and have a pair of sub $50 dollar headphones, the two are in different classes altogether.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #59 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatt1guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not so new that i think that the beats vs the 650s are a real comparison i just wanted to know the extent. To what extent are the 650s better, to what extent are the beats worse. With all this senn 650 favoring however, i think that i have found my answer that the 650s and beats are worlds apart. Thank you for your inputs

People are kind of beating you down for comparing these two headphones, thats not what this forum is for. Im new to the forum but I hate how people get all up-in-arms over simple honest questions.

Sure the Senns are out of the beats' league but such bourgeois attitude doesnt belong in discussions such as this. People act like these two heaphones shouldnt be in the same room as each other. Sure they are in two different classes of headphones, so just point the guy in the right direction without belittling his post all the while.

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #60 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_love_hina /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I lol'd at the title.

I know, it's like "BMW 325i vs. a Yugo"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back