Senn HD 650 a little lacking in bass
Oct 30, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #16 of 19

I don't know anything about headphone amps but I do know that Naim Audio deliberately doesn't include a HO on there amps because they think that buying a headphone amp is necessary if you want to listen to headphones. It might mean that headphone amps really are better for headphones but at the other hand: it might mean that they want to sell their Headline Headphone amp that costs 465 euro (and you got to buy a powersupply with it).

And Naim also likes it when you are forced to buy proprietary cables, power cords, power supplies, and get totally and wholly locked into the Naim universe. Any wonder they think you have to buy yet another box, cord, power supply, et al. if you want to run headphones?

Don't get me wrong, Naim makes some nice gear. But their proprietary bent puts me off.

As for using a receiver, they are just fine most of the time. Usually, voltage dropping resistors are used to lower the output from the speaker amp. Good point about the power consumption, though.

Also, Marantz is good about their headphone outputs. I have their SA8001 which has a discrete headphone amp. I used it a lot in the summer here. When it's still 90 degrees out at midnight, I don't want to run tubes to introduce more heat in the room. I just jack directly into the SACD player, and I think Marantz did a great job with it.

Do not bother with a recable. If bass response is weak, that shows up if you measure frequency response. You can actually see it. Now, with another cable, you get the same weak frequency response showing up in measurements. So how do you add something without adding something? The same weak response will still be there. Even if something, somehow, is changed, the bass will measure as weak.

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #17 of 19
L3000.gif

Quote:
The Cambridge 340se does look interessting, might buy one when I go to college, thank you.

It's not that hard to operate actually. Any secondary student could manage it.

L3000.gif

Nov 1, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #18 of 19

Quote:
Yes, in the case of Marantz amps it does, and with the high impedance 650 the headphone sound should be as good as the speaker sound (this is based on using the 650 with many Marantz amps). I suggest if you feel there's a lack of bass it could simply be that you're used to a very bassy headphone. What were you using before?

I've never really had decent headphones before this. I've always enjoyed music through speakers. Mostly Polk Audio. My car has always had some sort of sub. Right now it's 2 small JL 6.5"s.

Is it possible that I've adapted to hear bass by feeling it instead of listening to it? Because the more I listen, the more I realize there is noticeable bass but I don't necessarily feel it. Am I just being an amateur to the headphone scene? Someone tell me how to listen to headphones! LOL

On a side note: I removed the inner foam pads today just to see what difference there would be. It's definitely a little brighter, which may cause listening fatigue sooner. But at the same time, I would say that it sounds cleaner and more defined, which I find to be a huge plus! Does removal of the outer foam pads have any noticeable improvements?

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #19 of 19
The HD650 isn't a bass heavy headphone.  The bass is only a few hairs above neutral.  Most people around here seem to prefer the other end of the spectrum and say bass light is neutral, neutral is bass heavy, and bass heavy is for uncultured barbarians like myself.

Your receiver is likely to be driving them properly so you may want to consider another pair or just using a bit of EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back