Senn 650 - which balanced tube amp
Mar 23, 2010 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Gags72

New Head-Fier
Hi all

I have a pair of Senn HD650 that I love.

I have tried a quality SS amp that clearly did so much right but it did not involve me or give me the sweet sound I enjoy. The solid state amp was a Talisman.

I find the little Dot MKIII a far less accomplished amp but I prefer it for the moreish sweet quality it adds.

I want to go balanced but I want to get that tube sweetness plus the qualities of the Talisman, those being excellent seperation, black background etc etc.

I have considered the new Little dot MKVIII and David tells me this would give me what I want. It is on budget, about $1000.

Are there any recomendations?

Thanks

Gareth

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 24
There are Australian meets. Check out the meets forum.

Depending on your dedication to the cause
wink.gif
you can always buy to try and sell the amp if you dont like them. Nobody guesses right at what amp they want on the first try.

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 24
You can't really go wrong with tubes though. Especially if you roll, you'll eventually find a sound that suits you.

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at some of the earlier suggestions, I like the look of the Woo stuff.
Is the 6SE worth the extra over the 6 and where does the 2 fit in????

Wherabouts in Aus are you, Gags? We have a Sydney meet coming up that'll give you a chance to listen to any number of good amplifiers and make an informed choice
smily_headphones1.gif

I used to own a 6SE, and I bought it predominantly because of increased output power and a better design. Jack recommends the 6 for those on a budget or those with space constraints, but the 6SE is the uncompromised version of the design.

However, if you end up buying a 6SE, make sure Jack modifies it to accept 6FD7 tubes. It's only a few caps that need to be switched for those that can handle higher voltage, as I understand it, and the 6FD7 tubes are the real ticket with that amp and Sennheisers.

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I am in Sydney

So hw about the Woo stuff, is it just ok or great and why is it always the 6 or 6se and not the 2 spoken of?

The 2 is OTL, wheras the 6 and 6SE are transformer coupled. An OTL tube amp does well with high impedance loads, but generally speaking is less desirable for low impedances, just due to the nature of tubes (tubes are naturally suited to providing voltage swing, which high impedance loads crave, but aren't so good at providing current, which low impedances crave). Transformer-coupled tube amps take care of both fronts, and thus are more versatile.

The build quality of the Woo's are excellent, and my 6SE was certainly a very nice match for my HD600, but I've found better bang for buck to be found in DIY designs. Even though I don't possess a modicum of DIY skill, I'm lucky to know 3 local head-fi'ers who are all exceptionally gifted in that regard
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back