Senn 555 vs. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80
Dec 31, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mthrsuperior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing personal espire but I feel obliged to state that this comment is the biggest load of crap I've seen here; a forum plagued with trailerloads of crap.

I think if you'd actually done business with, or consulted with Jorge and the fine folks at headroom you'd know your statement is 180 degrees out of wack.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean Headroom specifically, but it was the site in question. Regardless of your personal experiences with one site (which may be a completely trustable site), it remains that there are far better sources of information than dealers. Would you go to a Honda dealer to ask if Hondas are good? Even if you know the manager personally and he's a great guy? No.

Still, no matter whether or not Jorge is a great guy, no matter whether or not I've done business with him, Headroom is not an organization; It is a corporation, whose goal will forever be to make profit. Jorge will be happier if you buy the HD-595 than if you buy the HD-555, as his store will make more of an overhead. Even subconsciously, but still likely consciously, a person will try make the HD-595 look significantly more impressive than the HD-555.

Also, I usually do take personally a comment about my writing, especially when the comment calls what I say complete crap and the exact opposite of the truth.

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #32 of 34
nm

Sorry espire. In general I'd tend to agree with you.
Specifically in this case I've been "downsold" twice by Headroom.

Ya ya, I know they may have been trying to get rid of surplus stock etc etc. But I really feel headroom is successful at least in part by fitting the right cans on the right head if you catch my drift.

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #33 of 34
Don't worry about it
wink.gif

I don't mean to put down Headroom, but they're a store before a headphone recommendation service.

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #34 of 34
I have both, the HD555 for a few months and now the DT770 pro 80's.

One thing I noticed right off the bat, driving both ampless for now is that the DT770 is way harder to drive. This is straight from an Xtrememusic. The DT770 80ohms required 90% of the volume bar to give me the desired volume level, whereas the HD555 only needed 60%.

I wasn't personally a fan of the mids of the HD555. It was too forward and warm for my taste. And some would call the 770's mids recessed, but without listening to them before buying, I knew exactly what they would sound like and I was correct, it was a more transparent sound from the mids, nice and clean.

Bass, wow, first thing I noticed was the extension increased from the HD555.
WOW was what I said popping in a copy of Transformers HD-DVD.

The bass impact was another thing very apparent when listening to a little trance/techno. Bonkers 17 and the new Cascada album Perfect Star demonstrated the speed of these compared to the HD555, I always thought the bass on the HD555 was a little slow. These hit nice and fast with lots of authority and impact.

The highs on these are brighter than the HD555, maybe a little sibilance on some songs but it's not that bad, I have around 50 hours on these ( bought them used with 40 hours on them and I put on 10 more last night ) So I expect the sibilance to decrease as I reach 100+ hours and when I throw an amp on them.

Good purchase for me, and now I gotta buy more and more = broke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back