Senheiser IE 600 impressions and discussion.
May 9, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #61 of 91
Hi All, I recently picked up a pair of HD660S2 open backs and am loving the sound. I was hoping to see if any of you have also grabbed a pair and are able to provide insight on whether the IE600 would be a similar sound. I'm looking for a set of IEMs that I can use in bed at night without bothering my wife. The ones I have (FH9) are semi open and she can hear what I'm listening to.

I think I've narrowed it down to the IE600, but want to be sure. I have had the IE800 IE800S in the past and really liked them for my go about sets.

Appreciate any feedback :)

Jun 5, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #62 of 91
Posted this in the "sponsor announcement" IE600 thread, but will leave it here as well.

IE 600 currently marked down to $349.95, direct from Senn!

https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/en-US/p/ie-600/ckzxxkhso39fr0b47ovu65d35/

EDIT: Price has returned back to normal on the site. It may have been a pricing error by Sennheiser. I was able to get my order through but let’s see if it actually ships.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #63 of 91
Posted this in the "sponsor announcement" IE600 thread, but will leave it here as well.

IE 600 currently marked down to $349.95, direct from Senn!

https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/en-US/p/ie-600/ckzxxkhso39fr0b47ovu65d35/

EDIT: Price has returned back to normal on the site. It may have been a pricing error by Sennheiser. I was able to get my order through but let’s see if it actually ships.
I purchased a pair at that price, and received shipping notification from both Sennheiser and Fedex yesterday. ETA is tomorrow.

Jun 7, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #64 of 91
I purchased a pair at that price, and received shipping notification from both Sennheiser and Fedex yesterday. ETA is tomorrow.
Same! Mine will be here tomorrow as well!

Jun 7, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #65 of 91
Hi all, I'm new here and consider getting IE600 to complement my desktop setup when on the go. So, I'd like to ask people owing senns regarding the "technicalities" (resolution, imaging) compared to my current desktop (Stax Nova basic + SRM-Xh) and buds (AirPods Pro 2). Before that I had HE400se (EQd), but preferred Stax for resolution comfort and bass (which I found a bit muddy for a planar on hifiman). The main question is actually whether IE600 will be a big enough jump in SQ compared to AirPods (IE100 was not even if not taking convenience into the account). Both tuning and resolution-wise (important!). I like bass, but not too much of it, i.e. better less bass than bass bleed. I plan to use IE600 without EQ and perhaps off the apple dongle (at least initially). Any opinions here? (other headphones which I had in the past and know fairly well are Koss ports pros, sennhs 560 and grado SR85).

Jun 7, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #66 of 91
Hi all, I'm new here and consider getting IE600 to complement my desktop setup when on the go. So, I'd like to ask people owing senns regarding the "technicalities" (resolution, imaging) compared to my current desktop (Stax Nova basic + SRM-Xh) and buds (AirPods Pro 2). Before that I had HE400se (EQd), but preferred Stax for resolution comfort and bass (which I found a bit muddy for a planar on hifiman). The main question is actually whether IE600 will be a big enough jump in SQ compared to AirPods (IE100 was not even if not taking convenience into the account). Both tuning and resolution-wise (important!). I like bass, but not too much of it, i.e. better less bass than bass bleed. I plan to use IE600 without EQ and perhaps off the apple dongle (at least initially). Any opinions here? (other headphones which I had in the past and know fairly well are Koss ports pros, sennhs 560 and grado SR85).
my wife has the AP2 and I think the IE600 blows it out of the water in terms of resolution. If you are okay with elevated treble its a no brainer imo. Its got really great bass quality but quantity is less than the graphs make it seem so you dont have to worry about bass bleed.

Jun 15, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #69 of 91
Anyone compared the Xelento 2 and the IE600 yet?

I would be interested to see this comparison as well. I got an ie600 and se846 and I prefer the latter. Its more of a personal preference on sound signature and comfort than technicalities.

I returned the Xelento 2 and kept the IE600. I also had the Xelento 1 for a long time as an upgrade to the Shure 846.

After listening to the IE600, the X2 midrange is just too recessed. Bass impact on the 600s is also better than the X2.

Comfort on the X2s though is unmatched and the top end is not as harsh as the 600s.

Really dislike the mmxc connectors on the 600s, feels like Sennheiser were looking for a solution to a nonexistent problem. The metal housings can feel a bit heavy after a while.

Jun 15, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #70 of 91
I returned the Xelento 2 and kept the IE600. I also had the Xelento 1 for a long time as an upgrade to the Shure 846.

After listening to the IE600, the X2 midrange is just too recessed. Bass impact on the 600s is also better than the X2.

Comfort on the X2s though is unmatched and the top end is not as harsh as the 600s.

Really dislike the mmxc connectors on the 600s, feels like Sennheiser were looking for a solution to a nonexistent problem. The metal housings can feel a bit heavy after a while.

Thanks. Are the 600s superior technically?

Jun 15, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #71 of 91
Thanks. Are the 600s superior technically?
I've never been someone who cares too much about how accurate/technical my audio gear is, at this level I find it hard to say what sound signature is closer to the "truth".

The IE600 bass is definitely boosted, and the high-end can be a bit harsh for some - if you are looking for an "accurate" or "flat" signature then those qualities would work against the 600s and you might even say the Xelento 2s are more balanced in that regard.

Having said that, I think the conventional answer to your question would be "yes" - I didn't find the X2s bad (and they were an upgrade to the original Xelento) but found the recessed mid-range just made everything too boring.

Jun 15, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #72 of 91
I've never been someone who cares too much about how accurate/technical my audio gear is, at this level I find it hard to say what sound signature is closer to the "truth".

The IE600 bass is definitely boosted, and the high-end can be a bit harsh for some - if you are looking for an "accurate" or "flat" signature then those qualities would work against the 600s and you might even say the Xelento 2s are more balanced in that regard.

Having said that, I think the conventional answer to your question would be "yes" - I didn't find the X2s bad (and they were an upgrade to the original Xelento) but found the recessed mid-range just made everything too boring.

Cheers. When i say technicalities I'm really referring to clarity and separation. The stuff that makes an iem sound expensive. Something the original Xelento wowed me with many years ago when bars were much lower.

Jun 16, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #73 of 91
Thanks for sharing. I read that you put technicalities secondary, but did you see x2/x1 as upgrade to se846?

I am a new owner of 846, and that might have to do with my impressions. I am finding it my favourite so far, and the lot includes ie600.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #74 of 91
Thanks for sharing. I read that you put technicalities secondary, but did you see x2/x1 as upgrade to se846?

I am a new owner of 846, and that might have to do with my impressions. I am finding it my favourite so far, and the lot includes ie600.
When I had my 846s I used the black filter exclusively - at the time it was recognized for great quality bass and the low pass filter is unique even today. However the common complaint with this setup is it can be a bit muffled. The Xelento 1 I felt gave me more bass and at the same time better clarity through the mid(?) treble - which is probably reflected in the IEM graphs. I used them a lot on my commute/in the office so environments where bass quantity>quality.

Importantly for me, it was also super comfortable (probably still is one of the most comfortable IEM designs around) as I would wear them hours each day. The X1 was an upgrade over the 846s to me and more recently I would say the X2 an upgrade on the X1.

I do think that the IE600 is probably the best of the bunch though, less mid-bass bloat than the Xelentos which is a return to the 846 levels (I think) and more clarity through the upper mids. The mids is something that I would not have cared about (or maybe even be able to appreciate) a few years ago, maybe it's a maturing of my tastes...

Jun 17, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #75 of 91
Cheers. When i say technicalities I'm really referring to clarity and separation. The stuff that makes an iem sound expensive. Something the original Xelento wowed me with many years ago when bars were much lower.
Okay I understand, I'm a bit of a layperson when it comes to audiophile terms. Yes, I would say the IE600 has an advantage over the Xelento there - more clarity and sparkle (if you like that). But it's not as big a jump to say the U12Ts where I really felt I understood layering/separation etc. so keep that in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back