selling to 0 post/feedback international buyer?
Feb 18, 2008 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

thekid22

100+ Head-Fier
I am selling a player here (Value about $200-$220).
I live in the US, but have a buyer from Poland who is interested. He has no feedback and no past posts. (joined in january)

He would pay through paypal. should i be worried? Does paypal protection cover me/him?

I was thinking about requesting work email, phone number, address etc. is this a good idea? anything else i should do? should i just steer clear?

I'd love some input,
thanks,

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 15
If you move all the money from your Paypal to your bank before you ship the item out, you'll run less chances of Paypal locking up the money in the case of a dispute. Seems to be the safest way to avoid a scam.

Feb 18, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you move all the money from your Paypal to your bank before you ship the item out, you'll run less chances of Paypal locking up the money in the case of a dispute. Seems to be the safest way to avoid a scam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you really need to make this sale do as cookiecutter says, however, I would not do the deal. There are too many red flags, I'd wait for another buyer.

While that might work initially, if he eventually lost the Paypal dispute, he would have a deficit on his Paypal account and would have to pay that deficit back. Just removing the funds doesn't make those funds "safe."

Feb 18, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 15
I would definitely request some form of personal id. That much of a stretch, even in the event of Paypal coverage.

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 15
Does the location of the person really matter? I mean, if it were a new member with 0 feedback in the US, would you feel more safe dealing with him/her? Paypal will cover you/him independent of location, so I just o

I have dealt with members with 0 feedback and neverhad any issues. I do ask for personal information such as adress, phone number, complete name. You could even give him a call, you have some internet based programs that let you make phone calls for free.

So I would try to get more info from him, if possible give him a call, and trust.

You once had 0 feedback remember?
wink.gif
We all need to start some way or another!

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 15
i think paypal can reverse charge you, they did it for me when someone sold me a laptop at a 'too good to be true' scenario,

to cut a long story short the money was reversed back to me, im sure they had had it out by then

edt, everyones a first time buyer at one time, someone from the states trusted me and i joined in 08, just waiting for the package

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 15
Their location really wasn't the key factor, my point was simply that paypal's seller protection policy differs for international transactions.

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 15
If you're that uncomfortable then I just wouldn't do the deal. I'd also ask if the buyer has any form of feedback from Ebay, Audiogon, etc...

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 15
I checked that. no feedback on ebay or any other forums.

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #14 of 15
I put a cap on all my sales for people with 50+ only, although I have made an exception or two. The best way in that case (or any case), is to read over their post/thread history, and see if they really are serious about this hobby.

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put a cap on all my sales for people with 50+ only, although I have made an exception or two. The best way in that case (or any case), is to read over their post/thread history, and see if they really are serious about this hobby.

Duh!!! Ya, exactly, people!!!

This is why we have a RULE, yes it's a RULE that new members must have 50 posts and have been registered for 30 days before they are allowed to participate in the buy/sell/trade sub forums.

By selling to them, you're helping them to avoid/violate the rules, and are therefore avoiding/violating the rules yourself.

I guess rules are made to be broken. Anyway, don't coming crying to the moderators when you get screwed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back