Selling England by the Pound is incredible- Any recommendations in this vein?
Sep 9, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway-Genesis...excellence!

If you've never listened to the lamb lies down on broadway you must drop everything else and search it out first. if you can find an original printing from the UK or Japan you're in for a sonic treat. That or the SACD (spendy!)

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbenjamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've never listened to the lamb lies down on broadway you must drop everything else and search it out first. if you can find an original printing from the UK or Japan you're in for a sonic treat. That or the SACD (spendy!)

How's the 1986 Nimbus version?

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

if you have the code on the side of the case, and or the code on the inner ring of one of the discs, I could let you know but Nimbus did a few rounds, they're not all the same.

Virgin issue, something like that.

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #21 of 36
61z6cFvGgfL._SS500_.jpg

Ipod a playin, laying lines in the yard (cutting grass), what comes on but Pendragon "Man of Nomadic Traits". Part of that Canterbury scene where sooooo much good stuff came. Another great song on this is Paintbox and King of the Castle.

Amazon.com: Not of This World: Pendragon: Music

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Virgin issue, something like that.

The nimbus issues (again without knowing the codes, I can't answer specifically) sound good in that they're flat eq'd for the most part, some have a slight hum, otherwise are a tad bright for my tastes. I'd say as the above poster notes that they're on par with the early Atlantic issues, and the recent remasters. The first issue japan is otherworldly thou, in my book.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

The nimbus issues (again without knowing the codes, I can't answer specifically) sound good in that they're flat eq'd for the most part, some have a slight hum, otherwise are a tad bright for my tastes. I'd say as the above poster notes that they're on par with the early Atlantic issues, and the recent remasters. The first issue japan is otherworldly thou, in my book.

If that's the Japanese mini-lp style release you're talking about, then I'll check it out.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #25 of 36
The mini-lp is a reissue with the recent remasters as a source.

These are the details for the issues I refer to above:

UK-Virgin CGSCD-1, 1986~
US-Atlantic ATL401, June 1987~

Japan-Toshiba, TOCP-53067 is my favorite, followed by the SACD, then the UK Virgin, then the atlantic and remasters

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #26 of 36
Loved that genre since the 60's and 70's. I second the Lamb suggestion. You should seriously check out some Gentle Giant...not everybody's cup of tea but give it a chance...some of the most complex rock you will ever hear. If you haven't hear Emerson Lake & Palmer I would recommend Triology besides what has been suggested and add Live at Royal Albert Hall. Have fun and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #29 of 36
I actually have Crime of the Century, both on vinyl and digital! I need to give that a spin.

Listened to Trick of the Tail, I'd rate it just barely a notch under SEBTP. Really great stuff. Gonna check out The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and Foxtrot next.

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually have Crime of the Century, both on vinyl and digital! I need to give that a spin.

Listened to Trick of the Tail, I'd rate it just barely a notch under SEBTP. Really great stuff. Gonna check out The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and Foxtrot next.

Lamb Lies down on Broadway is to Genesis what OK Computer is to Radiohead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back