Selling England by the Pound is incredible- Any recommendations in this vein?
Sep 11, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #31 of 36
I love the pre "Phil Collins backing band" era Genesis. In order my preference is:
Selling England
Lamb Lies Down (sides 1 and 2 more than 3 and 4)
Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Trick of the Tail
Seconds Out
Wind and Wuthering
Genesis Live
Trespass

At the time when I first discovered Genesis (1976 when A Trick of the Tail was released), my favourite albums were Floyd's DSOTM and Wish You Were Here, both have aged very well.

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #32 of 36
Pawn Hearts and H to He Who am the Only One are the most accessible VDGG albums. Start with those. Otherwise, early Pink Floyd never hurts. And more Yes. And King Crimson. Really, any prog is great!

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basically what the title says. Selling England by the Pound has become one of my favorite albums of all time, and I'd like more recommendations.

Before I get these suggestions, I already have:
Close to the Edge (love)
Thick as a Brick (love)
In the Court of the Crimson King (quite like)
Moving Pictures (love)

Maybe some Van der Graaf Generator? Never even listened to them, but I hear them mentioned a lot in this type of discussion. By the way, is there a genre, besides prog that all of the above fit into? Some subset of prog? Thanks.

I'd go to progarchives, that site has a LOT of prog to look through.

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go to progarchives, that site has a LOT of prog to look through.

Indeed, I have a good chunk of the top 15 listed. I always feel like actual humans can give me better advice than a web site though
k701smile.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #35 of 36
I'd recommend "Drama" by Yes. It's, in my opinion, an underrated album, probably due to the fact that neither Anderson nor Wakeman were there. Nevertheless, the quality of the compositions, execution and recording doesn't cease to amaze me. "Machine Messiah" is one of my favorite tunes.

If I may recommend some of the newer stuff:

"Space Revolver" by The Flower Kings is a great album. Incidentally, they recorded a tribute cover version of Genesis' "Cinema Show" IMHO one of the best cover versions ever.

"Bloomljud" by Moon Safari - Sort of like Yes meets Manhattan Transfer. I absolutely love this one.

cheers!

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbenjamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've never listened to the lamb lies down on broadway you must drop everything else and search it out first. if you can find an original printing from the UK or Japan you're in for a sonic treat. That or the SACD (spendy!)

The SACD is not expensive here in Scandinavia (quite easily found for < 20-25€ brand new). That said, I've owned all the original early Genesis CDs (Virgin/Charisma Nimbus and Swindon pressings) as well as the newest 2007/2008 remasters, and for the most part like the new remasters better. Unfortunately the Internet is full of mindless information, spread around mostly by the same person via various message boards and ratings pages of major e-tailers, that these new remasters are a load of duds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back