Selling England by the Pound is incredible- Any recommendations in this vein?
Sep 9, 2009 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
Basically what the title says. Selling England by the Pound has become one of my favorite albums of all time, and I'd like more recommendations.

Before I get these suggestions, I already have:
Close to the Edge (love)
Thick as a Brick (love)
In the Court of the Crimson King (quite like)
Moving Pictures (love)

Maybe some Van der Graaf Generator? Never even listened to them, but I hear them mentioned a lot in this type of discussion. By the way, is there a genre, besides prog that all of the above fit into? Some subset of prog? Thanks.

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 36
Since the album/cd is by Genesis before 1980s pop stuff, I would suggest anything from that era. Trick of the Tail, Nusery Crimes, any Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Neal Morse Spock's Beard, King Crimson, Gentle Giant. Anything from any of the afore mentioned bands will be good to great. But it may be that you need to be a bit more specific in what you are after, the posters on this board are really good.

B
k701smile.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 36
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway-Genesis...excellence!

Also, you must try some Porcupine Tree-Signify, Stupid Dream or In Absentia to dip your toes in.

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 36
Huge PT fan here.

Didn't like Spock's Beard at all (listening to Snow). However, I tried to listen to Joe's Garage twice and couldn't, but now I love it, so maybe I need to give it a go. I'll check out more KC and look into Gentle Giant.

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 36
Selling England is in my top 10 favorite albums of all time!!! It's so nice to see that work singled out, because I think it deservedly is the best progressive rock album ever recorded......save for The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway which I think is equal in almost every way...................

Those two albums are equals

Next check out....... Nursery Cryme, Trick Of The Tail, Foxtrot, Wind And Wuthering, Trespass....in that order..............

Genesis was without peer for me.......if you feel like I do, Genesis's music will take you to a place....an actual place.......no one else can take you to this place..........Lamb is not quite as magical as Selling England....but musically its equally sublime....Nursery Cryme possesses the magic of Selling England, but is not as Musically sublime......enjoy

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Selling England is in my top 10 favorite albums of all time!!! It's so nice to see that work singled out, because I think it deservedly is the best progressive rock album ever recorded......save for The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway which I think is equal in almost every way...................

Those two albums are equals

Next check out....... Nursery Cryme, Trick Of The Tail, Foxtrot, Wind And Wuthering, Trespass....in that order..............

Genesis was without peer for me.......if you feel like I do, Genesis's music will take you to a place....an actual place.......no one else can take you to this place..........Lamb is not quite as magical as Selling England....but musically its equally sublime....Nursery Cryme possesses the magic of Selling England, but is not as Musically sublime......enjoy

Will do, I guess the logical thing would be more Genesis. Thanks.

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 36
Try Premiata Forneria Marconi's "Storia di un minuto" and "Per un amico" which has a mix of prog rock and symphonic rock a bit in the same way Yes does it. Also:

Camel - "Mirage"
Renaissance - "Scheherazade and Other Stories"

If you have time, try out the Canterbury Scene, which is a nice subset of prog rock:

Robert Wyatt - "Rock Bottom"
Caravan - "In the Land of Grey and Pink"
Soft Machine - "Third"

If you want to try out VdGG, go for "Pawn Hearts".

Aside from that, it's just more albums by the usual suspects, really...

more Pink Floyd
more Yes
more Genesis
more King Crimson
more Rush
more Jethro Tull

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 36
I think the guitar solo on Music Box is Steve Hackett's finest work. Seriously amazing energy.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #13 of 36
I second the Camel recommendation, and beside Mirage i'd add Moonmadness, one of their best albums.

Have you tried something by Emerson Lake and Palmer ? You could start from Brain Salad Surgery or Tarkus which are their strongest offerings...

Gentle Giant - Three Friends, The Power and the Glory

Leftoverture by Kansas, nice american symphonic prog...quite different from genesis.

IQ - Dark Matter, a fine neo-progressive album.

And obviously, there are many other albums from the band you already mentioned which are worth checking out... Fragile, Aqualung, 2112, etc

If you like Genesis, you may consider buying the remastered 70-75 box set, i have it on 200g vinyl and they sound spectacular, luckily "remastered" here means completely remixed, not simply louder.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #14 of 36
You guys get out of my cds.

Excellent piece of music, Selling England by the Pound.

Suggestions given thus far are natural prog. rocker collections.

Steve Hackett was a favorable influence in the early years and worthy of a few cds. Tokyo Tapes are a nice sample.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back