Self-Deprecating Humour... RIP?
Jul 18, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #32 of 55
I think a fair deal of self-mockery is very healthy. I use it often because I know it makes people laugh, probably because they feel safe to laugh since you are mocking yourself. However I mostly use it when I have visual contact with them so they know I am making a joke because of the facial impression and body language.
On the internet it makes it a lot harder. At least for me to understand certain jokes. I realise sometimes I react to seriously on someone making a joke and after a while I find out he was not being seriously at all. Perhaps that comes from me not having english as a first language and perhaps some people who make jokes "forget" to put the "remember..this is a joke-emoticon" behind their phrase wich makes it harder for me to get.
My bad...LOL
icon10.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #33 of 55
This might be a broad generalization, but I find a certain correlation between self-mockery, those who find the humor in it (themselves or others responding to it) and intelligence. Most of the time I delve into some self-mockery, most people don't seem to understand it was in jest, and most of them aren't too intelligent, either
wink.gif

I'm not into that positive thinking bull if it isn't true. If I joke that I'm fat, it's because I am, has nothing to do with self-esteem, it's reality, and I can see the humor in it. I can laugh at myself just as much as somebody else (though laughing at someone else is more fun
icon10.gif
).

People pushing the whole "think positive" nonsense are the people who don't. Somehow they think that if they keep repeating it like a parrot, it will manifest in reality. Me, I'll keep a smile on my face nearly everyday making fun of myself.

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #34 of 55
Wow, some more great posts (and a few jabs here and there)!

Contrastique, I completely agree with you - much of the "wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know-wot-I-mean" is lost without the benefit of body language, which is why I try to refrain from this type of humour when writing.

Unless of course I'm comfortable with you, like a certain pasty creole insectivore I know.
wink.gif

I'm glad to see a few have piped in with responses that are a little closer to my own tastes. This kind of humour can be as fluffy or biting as you make it, and it looks like we have a pretty wide range being represented here. I like to think I'm usually in the lighter side.

Example? Born2bwire. You win fella - most scathingly brutal comment in the thread!
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your post is too long and I can't be bothered to read it so I'll just give my standard advice. End yourself.

so that IS max in your avatar, isn't it? charming bunny.

glendaleViper,
people not getting the joke are perfect - you can up the ante, see how dimwitted you can make yourself before the penny drops. and if it never drops, you can either do john cleese's silly walk or join up with patrick82 and wrap yourself in ers paper.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and if it never drops, you can either do john cleese's silly walk or join up with patrick82 and wrap yourself in ers paper.

Hmmm... is there really a choice to be made here? I will point out that I am currently (no joke) sporting a t-shirt with Cleese as the French guard from The Quest for the Holy Grail, proudly announcing that he farts in your general direction.

Jul 18, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #37 of 55
My therapist said I should use self deprecating humour to hide my low confidence.

I told him I was no good at telling jokes but he just laughed at me!

"Ni!"

Jul 18, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #38 of 55
PC people are intellectually mundane. My brand of humour relies heavily on irony, satire, black humour and allusions.... which means that most people stare at me mildly after I come up with what I think is a hilarious comment. On the other hand, I know when to dumb it down and make the more obvious "that's what your mom said" style of joke.

On the internet, especially over msn, and especially when trying to flirt, I find that a LOT of my humour gets lost due to the lack of facial interaction; without a slight grin playing around my lips, most of my comments seem bizarre. Now, has our increased reliance on real-time text-based communication bled into what is colloquially known as "real life", thereby reducing the punch of a good, self-depreciating, ironic, joke? I dunno.

Jul 18, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enjoy those tacos now, because in the future they will be illegal.

Thanks a lot you person... now i have an uncontrollable urge to dig out my Aqua Teen Hunger Force DVD's.

Jul 18, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #40 of 55
I am lazy so I didnt' bother reading any of the posts following the original post but I can feel your pain. A lot of times when I blast myself on something, say for example a poor test score, people will reply "Oh but you did really well on the previous test" or "not everyone can be perfect at everything, you're smart you'll find other avenues". These situations are the worst because my deprecating joke is misconstrued as cry for help of sorts. And this is something that irks me, when people say something about themselves when they know its not true just so they can hear their friends praise them. I can't swallow that type of pity

"We are no longer the knights who say Ni"
"NI!"
"Shh!"
"We are now the Knights who say...”Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm."

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebastian589 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"We are no longer the knights who say Ni"
"NI!"
"Shh!"
"We are now the Knights who say...”Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm."

STOP IT!!! I CAN ONLY WATCH SO MANY MOVIES IN ONE DAY!!!!

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #43 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PC people are intellectually mundane. My brand of humour relies heavily on irony, satire, black humour and allusions.... which means that most people stare at me mildly after I come up with what I think is a hilarious comment. On the other hand, I know when to dumb it down and make the more obvious "that's what your mom said" style of joke.

On the internet, especially over msn, and especially when trying to flirt, I find that a LOT of my humour gets lost due to the lack of facial interaction; without a slight grin playing around my lips, most of my comments seem bizarre. Now, has our increased reliance on real-time text-based communication bled into what is colloquially known as "real life", thereby reducing the punch of a good, self-depreciating, ironic, joke? I dunno.

Someone I know once commented they had an easier time detecting my sarcasm and humor over a PM than in person. Even though I do find what you say is true and most of the humor is lost in translation to printed word, my deadpan stare (I don't even do it intentionally) causes me even more trouble
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #44 of 55
Medium might carry bit of weight in terms of sarcasm and the lack of tone makes it harder on the web, but personally, I think a lot of humor is lost on people rather than the medium. I've had quite a few blank stairs when I say something I think is funny. Sometimes even in groups I've gotten a couple of people laughing hysterically and some others looking around for hints. Not everyone can pick up subtleties just as not everyone can take a joke, which is a bit sad.

Seriously though, people should lighten up. When someone decides to shout "**** off you homo-thug", don't get all offended, if you can take a dick, you can take a joke. Not that it's meant to be too funny, just an example of weird things people get offended by. And no, I'm not homophobic at all, unlike a lot of ignorants in society, I'm likely the least homophobic straight guy you'll ever see.

One really funny thing I just heard was this telephone conversation:

Caller: Hi, may I speak with Anna.
Receiver: Who is asking?
Caller: Exactly, who the hell is asking, tell her to have that ass in my house in an hour.

Enjoy the flaming
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back