Self-Deprecating Humour... RIP?
Jul 17, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #16 of 55
Everyone is getting too PC nowadays. With my close(r) friends, I tend to launch into semi-raunchy/off-color jokes, and we all just laugh at it. The audience also matters - I'm more likely to do that with friends made over at Survival Instructor Camp than I am with parents' friends' children.

Jul 18, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For the record:

Quote:

As I'm understanding it, you're already aware that your self-deprecating humour works around certain friends and not so around others.

I don't think I really said that. I tailor my approach to my surroundings, and generally get a favourable response. Again, I'm more curious as to why light, introspective wise-cracks (contextually prompted) can garner such a concerned reaction.

Quote:

As for your questions...I'd say internet diagnoses and Emos aren't to blame. It's probably you're aiming your gun at the wrong target.

That was in fact intended to be tongue in cheek. At the same time, I think it still manages to raise a few questions.

[EDIT] And yes, joneeboi, you are making sense - just a different direction I wanted to take it for the moment.

(ahem)

[size=small]THAT'S A LOT OF NUTS![/size]
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #18 of 55
I'm really into the whole self-deprecating humor thing...utilizing my high self-esteem and my rather laidback personality has sort of created a type of humor that is edgy yet comfortable. And I've found that, through experience, the use of self-deprecating humor actually makes people feel more comfortable around me, knowing that I'm not the one to take everything so seriously. Of course, being an Asian teenager living in an almost all-white community, it's only too easy to poke a stereotypical joke at myself and laugh it off. I've never really been in a situation where someone actually feels uncomfortable about the things I say; maybe it's because I'm not crude enough with my jokes or maybe it's just because most of my friends are my age. But obviously I use that kind of humor with discretion, I won't break it out when I first meet someone, and only do so when I'm pretty sure they would be comfortable with it. Especially in this day and age, when everything has to be so "PC," you need to tread softly if you're going to poke fun at anything that can be "PC," even if it's yourself.

Jul 18, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #19 of 55
I love self-depreciating humor. In fact you pretty much can't work in television if you can't tolerate that.

It's always a good idea to gauge who you can apply this to and not. I knew a guy who could dish it out but couldn't take it back at all. On the flip side of that one of my old bosses and I always try and out-do each other as far as humor and offensiveness. But we only do it when we're the only ones around. Nothing is off limits with the exception of family.

I'm no prude, but I am getting a little tired of the PC world getting offended at such minor things. At that rate there would soon be no humor left in the world. I loved Dave Chappell's show. He made fun of everyone, but you always knew it was in jest. Damn shame they gave Ned his place.

What the hell is you avatar Glendaleviper? Every time I see it I think of Unknown Hinson...

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #20 of 55
The day I learned how hilarious my faults were to the people who know me was the day I instantly got several times funnier than all my friends. Why leave that material to other people? Why should they get to be funny at my expense when I can be funny at my expense?

My sense of humor is generally too dark or dry for strangers and mere acquaintances. I save it for the people I like, and dabble in light humor only when I have to, say at work.

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #21 of 55
I've learned that some folks see such humor as pathetic or creepy, depending on your delivery. They can also see it as a call for help. That said, I don't mind making fun of myself every now and then.

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, I'm more curious as to why light, introspective wise-cracks (contextually prompted) can garner such a concerned reaction.

Members of the audience with such a reaction are too uptight and/or worried about offending other people, hence their dismay at your 'socially provocative' commentary. They don't register your gag as being humourous, more like a flag being raised indicating a loose one. Just find some other more light-minded folk.

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #25 of 55
Reading comprehension for the win. Doh!

To be clear, the question is "Why do people get so concerned when other people make self-deprecating jokes?" correct?

Maybe it's the thought of "Hm, my last memory of GlendaleViper is that he said he would jump off a bridge and my response was 'Ha ha ha!'. That is disturbing to me."

Or more appropriately:

*Dwight Schrute runs into the building which is allegedly on fire to get Michael's cell phone*
Dwight: I'm on it!
*Michael and Angela object*
Michael: He is an idiot. *shouts* The man is an idiot, ladies and gentlemen!
Kevin: What if he dies in the fire and that's the last thing you ever said to him?
Michael: I didn't say it to him, I said it about him.

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #27 of 55
Quote:

Here's a bit of advice I scooped up in junior high English Language Arts classes: be mindful of your audience.

I thought of this, too. The problem is the audience isn't really yours. There are more cornflakes on the internet than on my kitchen floor after coming in starving from a day long moonshine binge. In a relative sense, you, as the poster, should think of yourself as the milk and spoon. Shovel up all the floaty, crunchy, first-minute-in-the-milk, partially solvated cornflakes first, and ignore those limp, soggy bastards that sink to the bottom. Spill as much milk as you want in the process. You can't please them all.

Quote:

Sadly, my strengths lie in speed and dialogue over the written word, so I fear much of my sense of humour is lost on these boards (except where straight absurdity can be relayed).

That's self deprecating but untrue, dick.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

- Hey, you should really read "The Secret". (Seriously)

Beware of people touting "The Secret". They're generally ex-Amway'ers who've got another "great opportunity for you" called Arbonne.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why leave that material to other people? Why should they get to be funny at my expense when I can be funny at my expense?

I agree with Superman.

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #30 of 55
I bet my Dad's self-deprecating humor can beat your Dad's self-deprecating humor.

With one hand tied behind his herniated lumbar disk.

Woody Allen say: My father just got fired from the factory job he's worked at for the last thirty years. They replaced him with a machine that does everything he did but without making mistakes and twice as fast.

The sad thing is my Mother ran out and bought one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back