Self-Deprecating Humour... RIP?
Jul 18, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #46 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried self-deprecating humour. Unfortunately it always ends with people agreeing with me and not laughing.
frown.gif

Whipping it out in public is illegal, not humour.
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #48 of 55
i'm not gonna read this giant of a thread, but i definitely agree that people are way too sensitive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, a string of racial slurs? That's a little too edgy for me. I think you're way past humor there, even if it was intended as a joke.

To each his own, I guess. I'd recommend just sticking to northern Europeans, though.

yeah dude, strings of racial slurs aren't really the best way to be funny. hell, even i don't go there, although i do occasionally make race-related jokes. i'd rather not elaborate.

edit: lol fallenangel

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

When someone decides to shout "**** off you homo-thug", don't get all offended, if you can take a dick, you can take a joke.

You have to realize some people can be more sensitive than others, for not-so-obvious reasons. I.e. if a guy has a homosexual brother, he may very well be offended. I'm always wary of use of such things in front of people who I don't know (or know me) well. Also, just because someone doesn't laugh at my jokes, doesn't mean they're dull or stupid. Many people out there are simply not used to this kind of humor. For awhile, I wasn't.

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #50 of 55
If you're not funny, it's not the fault of the other person.

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #51 of 55
The president of my company, Alice, is very talkative and tends to get sidetracked in conversation with people when she walks through the hall. Today during one of many long meetings, she and I both left the conference room during a break. As I was leaving the restroom I saw her go in. I went back to the conference room and sat down. Here is some conversation that followed:

Mandy: "Come on, Alice, quit talking and get your butt back in here."
Me: "Oh, I think she's in the restroom."
Mandy: "Oh..."
Me: "Well, she might be talking in there, I'm not sure."

My delivery, as usual, was deadpan, so I'm surprised this one went over as well as it did. And it went over astoundingly well. I'm having a hard time deciding whether it reads as funny here. It probably doesn't.

I'll probably continue to avoid self-depreciating humor at work, but today offered me some hope.

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #52 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having a hard time deciding whether it reads as funny here. It probably doesn't.

I'll probably continue to avoid self-depreciating humor at work, but today offered me some hope.

Yea, that made me laugh. That's a lot like my style.

Jul 19, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to realize some people can be more sensitive than others, for not-so-obvious reasons. I.e. if a guy has a homosexual brother, he may very well be offended. I'm always wary of use of such things in front of people who I don't know (or know me) well. Also, just because someone doesn't laugh at my jokes, doesn't mean they're dull or stupid. Many people out there are simply not used to this kind of humor. For awhile, I wasn't.

Oh completely. I don't find that too funny and honestly, I'd say it's pretty freaking bad, but I also won't get worked up about it. Just making a point that people are quick to take offense when something is said without any real intentions of being offensive.

Guess everybody has their personal touchy subjects. Sociology is mine, some people are all into religion, sexuality, political views, etc. So much for the whole freedom of speech, doesn't the idea of "Politically Correct" completely nullify free speech?

Jul 19, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #54 of 55
Some just don't see the fun in depreciating or self-depreciating humor. But as the Master of Self Depreciation once said,

220px-Woody_Allen_%282006%29.jpeg

"Most of the time I don't have much fun. The rest of the time I don't have any fun at all."

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #55 of 55
Interesting topic. Comedy has changed a lot. If you look at each decade, comedy styles are different.

I remember as a kid, I really liked the Police Academy movie and also The Naked Gun and Airplane movie with the comedian actor Leslie Nielsen. I think that style of comedy was called “Screwball” comedy where situations were farcical. These days, those types of comedies are out of style in movies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back