Selecting computer speakers
Feb 11, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #31 of 36
The best money I have ever spent on a budget system was on a pair of Micca MB42x Bookshelf Speakers (with the crossovers, on Amazon) and a Lepai amp. When money allowed, I scrapped the Lepai and used an old Denon amplifier which has kept me happy for a few months now -- with no immediate plans of changing things up!

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #32 of 36

These sound larger than they look, but still sound small overall. I have a friend who works with the Bose distributor here who knows I'm into serious audio, and he never tried to pitch any product thinking I'll just bash it. I told him if I needed something tiny and can spend a lot of money the least compromised sound (at that size) is usually Bose. I wouldn't pay regular price but hey when someone whips out a portable Bose speaker I'm never one to complain (I'm first to hook up via BT to the one we use at a friend's patio - sure beats hauling his studio monitors out and then putting them away when we're all too tired).

Not too bad for the size and price, but if space/size isn't a problem definitely pass on these.

Looks good, and you'll really like the sound if you really like bass with distorted sub bass with no upper bass impact. If I'm going to listen to bass that sounds like that I'd sooner get the Creative T40 for a lot less money. The midwoofers are just too small and they forced the cabinet and port design to extend further down at the cost of flabby low bass (that doesn't stretch all the way down anyway) and barely any upper bass impact.

------------------
If these are jsut for listening and not for monitoring, mixing and mastering, look at these other speakers and see if they might be available there:

1. Swans D1080 MkIV 
2. Swans M200 MkIV
3. Aktimate Mini or Micro*
4. KRK Rokit 5 or Rokit 6*
5. Monoprice Studio Monitors*

*These are all available on Amazon

Dude you are my hero...every post you make helps me out. I just need a website that sells the Swan Speakers because I see their website doesn't sell them it just shows info.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #33 of 36
  I just need a website that sells the Swan Speakers because I see their website doesn't sell them it just shows info.

I've been having trouble locating them online too. Before that was the option, but then somebody started distributing them here, and then suddenly a lot of online retailers stopped selling them. If it wasn't for that I would have just listed the D1080 MkIV considering they're under $200  (maybe the M200 MkIV too considering it has an angled front baffle, plus I hear it's a bit more transparent), undercutting the KRK by a lot (and considering these aren't that accurate either anyway, might as well save a bit of cash).

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #34 of 36
I've been having trouble locating them online too. Before that was the option, but then somebody started distributing them here, and then suddenly a lot of online retailers stopped selling them. If it wasn't for that I would have just listed the D1080 MkIV considering they're under $200  (maybe the M200 MkIV too considering it has an angled front baffle, plus I hear it's a bit more transparent), undercutting the KRK by a lot (and considering these aren't that accurate either anyway, might as well save a bit of cash).

Thats fine I chose the monoprice monitors instead.

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #35 of 36
  Not having enough power is far more detrimental to the speakers than too much power !  This is clipping tweeters, https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/audio/clipping/page1.html.
I would want at the minimum 50 watts to each channel. The Dayton DTA-120 for $100.00 would work. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

In nearfield you rarely exceed 1 watt power anyway. 15 watts is way over 90dB.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #36 of 36
  In nearfield you rarely exceed 1 watt power anyway. 15 watts is way over 90dB.

My answer was for the Dali Zensor 1 at 86.5 Sensitivity @6ohm. I would not want to be limited to just nearfield volume with these speakers. I have heard these speakers and in my opinion they would be best matched with a 50 watt amp at a minimum. Just trying to give the op the best info I could for those speakers, however it is just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back