Selecting computer speakers
Feb 7, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #16 of 36
Alright. After 5 days of some hardcore web browsing It finally came down to these bookshelfs

Wharfedale Diamond 10.0 or 220 or 10.1 (With a 40 dollar gap between them, starting from 200)

Q Acoustics 2020i (280 but with some smooth free credit)

Dali Zensor 1 (250)

B&W DM 602 (Used, about 200)

And now for the amps,

Amazon sells Dayton Audio DTA-1 for 60
and Lepai TRIPATH TA2020 for 25, but it will be one or two months late (Expedited Shipping might help but It adds 30 additional bucks)

I also found a Kenwood KAC-6403 Amp for 60 dollars, but I am kinda bothered about It being a "car amplifier"

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #17 of 36
Alright. After 5 days of some hardcore web browsing It finally came down to these bookshelfs

Wharfedale Diamond 10.0 or 220 or 10.1 (With a 40 dollar gap between them, starting from 200)

Q Acoustics 2020i (280 but with some smooth free credit)

Dali Zensor 1 (250)

B&W DM 602 (Used, about 200)

And now for the amps,

Amazon sells Dayton Audio DTA-1 for 60
and Lepai TRIPATH TA2020 for 25, but it will be one or two months late (Expedited Shipping might help but It adds 30 additional bucks)

I also found a Kenwood KAC-6403 Amp for 60 dollars, but I am kinda bothered about It being a "car amplifier"

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #18 of 36
A car amplifier isn't the right choice for your house. The Lepai is great for a no frills, budget t-amp. Dayton is better. Look for Topping and Indeed t-amps on Ebay.

The Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s get fantastic reviews from people. For example, http://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-101-loudspeaker.

I used to own the B&W DM 601s, and they were nice speakers as well. However, the B&W DM series is a bit old. I'd probably go with the Wharfedale or or Dalis to get something fairly new. Depends on the what shape the 602s are in (indicating how well they have been taken care of).

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #19 of 36
Check out the Samson MediaOne 4a on Amazon.  $75 for really excellent speakers.  Watch some youtube videos that have a good quality microphone and you will see the value.  Just be sure to turn them off whenever you are done with them, and have them in a reasonably well ventilated area.  Use high quality audio cables, and don't run the power cable parallel to the satellite connector cable.

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #22 of 36
Cel, I never heard you comment on those Q Acoustics 2020i all reviewers seem to love.

I am also sceptical about stands. In my quest of understanding proffessional audiophile stuff, I noticed lots of people suggest that in order for a specific set of speakers to shine, It needs proper stands. So, my question is, which one of my bookshelfs will sound better in a wooden desk? And, does it really make that much of a change? Should I consider upgrading my system by buying stands in the near future?

Finally, about amps,
I can get my hands on a Topping TP10MK4 a Muse M20 EX2 TA2020, and a few others but Dayton's 9 business days delivery is pretty tempting. Do these or anything in this price group worth the wait over Dayton?

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #23 of 36
I don't know much about the Q Acoustics.

The primary benefit of stands is that typically the optimal placement for speakers is to have the tweeters aimed at your ears. The benefits of decoupling from stands which many people swear by are debatable. Well, except for maybe from cheap speakers that a lot of cabinet resonance, and then a mopad might help. You can always place the speakers on some books or find some way to angle them toward your ears temporarily to determine if they would benefit from stands. I can't think of a reason why some speakers would perform better on a wood desk than others.

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #24 of 36
Ok, I deceided to go for Dali Zensor 1, although their recommended amp power is 25-100W, and Dayton DTA-1 will give only 15W per channel.
Is that a big deal or can I order Dayton right away?

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #25 of 36
I don't know why they offer the minimum recommended power. The maximum is what's important (for those that want to know how loud they can run their speakers).

The Dayton will work well for desktop use. Just don't expect it to put out tons of volume for a party in a big room :)

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #26 of 36
I don't know why they offer the minimum recommended power. The maximum is what's important (for those that want to know how loud they can run their speakers).

The Dayton will work well for desktop use. Just don't expect it to put out tons of volume for a party in a big room
smily_headphones1.gif

Minimum recommend power indicates, to some extent, the efficiency of the speakers. These particular speakers are going to be a bit inefficient but as you say, as long as you are going to be sitting in front of them , then 15 watts should be more then sufficient. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #27 of 36
Alright. I'll get that Dayton and maybe I'll upgrade It later.
Thank you guys, you are beyond awesome for dealing with my problems, you made a man's life way easier

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #28 of 36
Alright. I'll get that Dayton and maybe I'll upgrade It later.
Thank you guys, you are beyond awesome for dealing with my problems, you made a man's life way easier

That's what friends are for.
L3000.gif

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #29 of 36
Ok, I decided to go for Dali Zensor 1, although their recommended amp power is 25-100W, and Dayton DTA-1 will give only 15W per channel.
Is that a big deal or can I order Dayton right away?

Not having enough power is far more detrimental to the speakers than too much power !  This is clipping tweeters, https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/audio/clipping/page1.html.
I would want at the minimum 50 watts to each channel. The Dayton DTA-120 for $100.00 would work. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #30 of 36

Users who are viewing this thread

Back