Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true?
Feb 19, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #527 of 1,652
I got my Seiun Player yesterday.  I won't repeat the design and UI downsides that have already been reported in this thread, and just summarize my listening impressions of its sound.

Detail and virtual separation of instruments were good....VERY good compared to portable music players under $50 and smart phones.

My biggest concern was the sound signature because the player has no filters or frequency adjustments.  I can't stand droney bass.  And if there was, there would be no way to adjust it.  Yet, the overall presentation is surprisingly well balanced.  A tiny bit "laid back," and very pleasant to listen to (read: non-fatiguing).  Everything is there, yet no part of the spectrum overwhelmed another part or felt artificially emphasized. 

The area that exposed Seiun Player as not being "high-end" has to do with how black the background is.  There is electrical noise (not pronounced, but clearly audible) that increases with volume even when a track isn't playing.  Bear in mind I'm only getting that with a modified Ety 4P, which is a very sensitive IEM.  Loving it more with a B&O H6, a moderately efficient mid-fi can. 

Since my primary use case will be exercise with IEMs, a gain switch would make these so much better!  Obviously, at this price point, compromises had to be made.  And it sounds like they were made in digital amplification stage.  But for only $30, I am happy with this purchase.

Feb 19, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #528 of 1,652
  I got my Seiun Player yesterday.  I won't repeat the design and UI downsides that have already been reported in this thread, and just summarize my listening impressions of its sound.

Detail and virtual separation of instruments were good....VERY good compared to portable music players under $50 and smart phones.

My biggest concern was the sound signature because the player has no filters or frequency adjustments.  I can't stand droney bass.  And if there was, there would be no way to adjust it.  Yet, the overall presentation is surprisingly well balanced.  A tiny bit "laid back," and very pleasant to listen to (read: non-fatiguing).  Everything is there, yet no part of the spectrum overwhelmed another part or felt artificially emphasized. 

The area that exposed Seiun Player as not being "high-end" has to do with how black the background is.  There is electrical noise (not pronounced, but clearly audible) that increases with volume even when a track isn't playing.  Bear in mind I'm only getting that with a modified Ety 4P, which is a very sensitive IEM.  Loving it more with a B&O H6, a moderately efficient mid-fi can. 

Since my primary use case will be exercise with IEMs, a gain switch would make these so much better!  Obviously, at this price point, compromises had to be made.  And it sounds like they were made in digital amplification stage.  But for only $30, I am happy with this purchase.

Good post! I'm not surprised at the noise, as I heard noise on the Feather DAC. Pro X can't come soon enough...

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #530 of 1,652
Hello Seiun thread. Just a tip I want to share I got this morning.
Main post on IFI IPURIFIER 2 thread or see my posts.
70% IPA Alcohol cleaned all my hifi chain connectors, from Sammy phone battery all usb cons inside and out.
Then applied RED CAIG DEOXIT. I will leave it today then re clean and apply Gold Deoxit.
A nice little boost to sound..

Good luck and keep smiling all

Dave

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #531 of 1,652
70% IPA Alcohol cleaned all my hifi chain connectors, from Sammy phone battery all usb cons inside and out.
Then applied RED CAIG DEOXIT. I will leave it today then re clean and apply Gold Deoxit.

Dave

Wait what?

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #532 of 1,652

Dave

hmm... I always thought red deoxit was for lubbing the wiper on a mechanical potentiometer.... like a guitar amp volume knob...

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #533 of 1,652
The spray version for potentiometers I think, as this had a pressurised VOC that evaporates off quick.
Some crazy people Hard solder all thier connectors. I think this a helping the weakest links... usb/ headphone pins to get a better connection. Helped me a bit but doesn't hurt either way.
Try it if you think it may help you.
Was just a bit of payback for all the nice posters here 8^).
Good luck regardless
Dave

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #534 of 1,652
I haven't received my player yet, but based on what the comments/reviews of those that have, I am not impressed. Basically, they seem to say, its pretty good for what they paid. Maybe I was being unrealistic, but I was hoping that it was going to be quite a bit better than that. From what I've seen so far, if it went head to head with a $55 Fiio M3, it would come in a distant second. I hope that I'm proven wrong when I get mine, but I think that I may have overestimated the Seiun Player.

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #535 of 1,652
  I haven't received my player yet, but based on what the comments/reviews of those that have, I am not impressed. Basically, they seem to say, its pretty good for what they paid. Maybe I was being unrealistic, but I was hoping that it was going to be quite a bit better than that. From what I've seen so far, if it went head to head with a $55 Fiio M3, it would come in a distant second. I hope that I'm proven wrong when I get mine, but I think that I may have overestimated the Seiun Player.

???
Where have you been reading the impressions?

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #536 of 1,652

Yeah I was hoping it would be an upgrade from Clip+, though looks more like a side-grade, but with 192/24 support (I think clip had to downsample to 44/16). I'm not the pickiest listener but hiss is a bummer.
I think all the stuff at this price point is fairly similar the old clips, fiio m3, xduoo x2, ruizu- using integrated audio from small SOC/ARM processors.

Still, I think it'll do the trick for me, though do hope there is shuffle all option rather than just by-folder, or it gets patched in at some point.

Feb 20, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #537 of 1,652
  Yeah I was hoping it would be an upgrade from Clip+, though looks more like a side-grade, but with 192/24 support (I think clip had to downsample to 44/16). I'm not the pickiest listener but hiss is a bummer.
I think all the stuff at this price point is fairly similar the old clips, fiio m3, xduoo x2, ruizu- using integrated audio from small SOC/ARM processors.

Still, I think it'll do the trick for me, though do hope there is shuffle all option rather than just by-folder, or it gets patched in at some point.

I can live with many cons, but the hiss is a deal breaker for me. There are a lot of cheap players out there (I'm NOT talking Fiio or Xdoo....the really cheap ones), I wouldn't think of buying any of them, and, yet, I bought the Seiun...go figure. I should have remembered, "If its too good to be true, it usually is." But then, when I get it, maybe it'll fool me........but I doubt it.

Feb 20, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #538 of 1,652
Not sure anyone said how much hiss it has- like Walkman hiss, inaudible when playing music, hiss that takes pretty sensitive headphones to notice, or  what....

Feb 20, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #539 of 1,652
Hiss is often a product of impedance issues.  I used to run into hiss issue with my old ipod video 5.5g.   Somehow the hiss was better managed with Rockbox than IOS

I hope this unit works out for all of you.  If the feather DAC is any indication, mileage is going to vary.  I  saw a few people that liked that DAC.   For me the barrier between cost effective and not worth owning at any price was leaning the wrong way on that particular unit.  And yes, I experienced hiss among other things. 

Feb 20, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #540 of 1,652
This thing has not impressed me so far.  Loaded around 90 gigs of music on a microsd card.  Hit play,  10 second delay, then crashes.  Try to select an individual song, crashes after 10 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back