Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true?
Aug 28, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #1,066 of 1,652

Well, the pattern of starting new campaigns without delivering the previous one is indeed worrisome.  https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nimbus-world-s-best-hi-res-home-entertainment-video-audio?mc_cid=4a394cbd3e&mc_eid=f81c750d3a#/ 

And the claim that they'll produce bookshelf speakers that "run from 5Hz to 50KHz" does not inspire confidence. 

Um, no it isn't. They've done all the design and the Seiun campaign stuff is in production. Do you expect them to just sit on their hands? Twiddle their thumbs? Scratch their bums?

I'm perfectly happy that they are starting a new campaign. It also gives them an incentive to get the Seiun players out to backers, as this may get them some repeat buyers while the campaign is on for the Nimbus. I'm looking forward to getting my Seiun Pro X player. I'm hoping to get the hub instead of the DAC so that I can use the player as my AV hub.

I don't need the Nimbus, as I've got a projector multiple DACs, and an integrated amplifier and speakers. I also don't buy the upconverting as actually being an improvement. I think people will be getting a whole bunch of placebo effect and altered sound that has nothing to do with the original recording. I also don't like how they represent decimation. It's BS. Your hardware fills in the wave, it doesn't have a bunch of steps like stairs.

I was waiting your response, glassmonkey. :)

No, I don't expect them to sit in the their hands.  I just expect them to actually finish their previous campaign before moving to the next one.

Yes, I know you believe that start-ups can start many projects in parallel without delaying any of them.  But the evidence suggests otherwise.  Take Light Harmonics as a example.

Agreed 100% on the decimantion representation,

I don't believe that companies can start many projects in parallel without delaying any of them. There is lots of evidence to the contrary on that. I do not believe that overlap of project development should be interpreted as parallel development, per se. I do believe it is an unreasonable demand to ask Seiun to do nothing until they've delivered the Seiun project in full, no matter what the state of that project. The Seiun project is not far off of delivery, I don't see why they shouldn't try to make more money with the Nimbus system.

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #1,067 of 1,652
  So how many of you are so delighted with the promptness of this wonderful campaign that you have immediately shelled out a load more money on the latest perks up for grabs? I feel like spending 1000s and 1000s of pounds and tieing my money up for a noce little while. I assume you are all going the same way as they have proved to be such an excellent company

No one here says you have to invest your money into any more crowd funded projects...  The crowd funded projects I've followed have all been delayed one way or another.  The current "winner" of massive disappointment seems to be LH Labs...  Even the highly vaunted Echobox project that was supposed to deliver in March 2016 has still not been completed; sure the guys running that campaign have had "excellent communication" for the most part, but the investors still don't have their players.  Whether CD delivers top quality products or not is yet to be determined, but it's really up to each individual out there as to whether they want to invest or not.  You can be angry with the Seiun campaign if you wish, but you don't have to invest "1000s and 1000s of pounds" into any more of their projects...  I really have no interest in the Nimbus campaign, so I'm not investing, but this does not mean I don't have faith in CD....

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #1,068 of 1,652
No one here says you have to invest your money into any more crowd funded projects...  The crowd funded projects I've followed have all been delayed one way or another.  The current "winner" of massive disappointment seems to be LH Labs...  Even the highly vaunted Echobox project that was supposed to deliver in March 2016 has still not been completed; sure the guys running that campaign have had "excellent communication" for the most part, but the investors still don't have their players.  Whether CD delivers top quality products or not is yet to be determined, but it's really up to each individual out there as to whether they want to invest or not.  You can be angry with the Seiun campaign if you wish, but you don't have to invest "1000s and 1000s of pounds" into any more of their projects...  I really have no interest in the Nimbus campaign, so I'm not investing, but this does not mean I don't have faith in CD....

One of the sad things with lengthy delays is you, or at least I, almost lose interest in the product. Once something is six months late, with still no even tentative delivery date, like the products you mentioned in your reply, you lose the sense of anticipation and enthusiasm, and basically get used to just using what you've got or move on and buy something else that's already completed, thus negating any savings from supporting the product. I didn't back the CD player, but I did back another one, and it's the last time I will do so. I think it's the tendency of these companies to portray the product as much further along and closer to completion than is actually the case. And when multiple deadlines pass and fundamental problems are uncovered that mean a substantial rework of the player and likely an even lengthier delay than what has already been experienced, the "excellent communication" tends to slip too. I understand it's the nature of the beast and a risk that backers are taking, but I really think IGG and the like should have something in place that if the product is a year late from the original estimate, the backer should have the option of a complete refund. That would keep the developers focused on the original task and increase their "skin in the game". Really - a YEAR. I wouldn't last long at my job if I was a year late finishing a project. As is, the company can just disappear or move on to something else and leave backers hanging.

To me crowdfunding, where lengthy delays seem to be the norm and are easily accepted by at least some backers it seems, really takes the fun out of purchasing a product, and thats what it's really all about. There seems to be a bit of an attitude of looking down on backers who expect the product within a number of months of projection. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation, crowdfunding or not.

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #1,069 of 1,652
To me crowdfunding, where lengthy delays seem to be the norm and are easily accepted by at least some backers it seems, really takes the fun out of purchasing a product, and thats what it's really all about. There seems to be a bit of an attitude of looking down on backers who expect the product within a number of months of projection. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation, crowdfunding or not.

I agree with this sentiment whole heartedly. If one backs a program and expects a reasonable timetable as  far as delivery goes then some backers consider this unreasonable. If my delivery of service where this poor, I would have been fired many times. It's time to stop making excuses for their poor performance and expect and demand better!

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #1,072 of 1,652
It's using a website like Indiegogo where there are no safeguards for your money and your money is entrusted to a company who may or may not deliver their promise on a product that really gets to me. I can afford to tie up a couple of hundred pounds for a year but others can't. I in the future will wait for a product I want , look for reviews on it and try it myself before committing to buy it. This rather than looking to get a huge bargain.
I am still smarting at the way I have been made to look a fool with the sprojector campaign on indiegogo where nothing has been heard off this man since his campaign delivery deadline finished in March. 
Indiegogo has made it all too easy for companies to walk away with our money with no comeback and Cyberdrive have used this system to their advantage. Kickstarter seems to be a far better way of doing business

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #1,073 of 1,652
" Kickstarter seems to be a far better way of doing business"

Kickstarter people were no help to us with one C.J.Hughes. He had a project on Kickstarter : Aequus | Customizable Planar Magnetic Headphones. He just deleted his account and walked away with the money. When we asked Kickstarter how we can contact him, they just gave a generic response but never answer how do we reach this person..

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #1,074 of 1,652
I don't think it's in Kickstarter or IGG's long term best interest to let things like this go on. I'm no expert on these things, so I don't know what percentage go south, but it seems to be a fair number. Most people won't allow themselves to be burned more than once, twice at the most. The crowdfunding sites aren't going to be sustainable if they allow people to get burned repeatedly. A lot of up and coming musicians go this route too, and a lot of them don't deliver either, or are extremely late.

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #1,075 of 1,652

Kickstarter people were no help to us with one C.J.Hughes. He had a project on Kickstarter : Aequus | Customizable Planar Magnetic Headphones. He just deleted his account and walked away with the money. When we asked Kickstarter how we can contact him, they just gave a generic response but never answer how do we reach this person..

That is extremely disturbing news . I do sympathise with you and I will avoid Kickstarter too

Sep 1, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #1,076 of 1,652
I dont know if this information has been posted yet but I asked CD a few questions:

"1. Is the balanced output 2.5mm or 3.5?
2. Is the volume knob flush with the body like the images and pops out? Or is it permanently sticking out? Because if it is permanently sticking out it is very poor design on Cyberdrive’s part. The design of the buttons in the most recent photos is also very poor and does not match the rest of the player. I do not mind waiting on the PHA if the design is properly done."

Their reply:
"the balanced output is 2.5mm. For the design part, I am checking for you now. I will get back to you as long as I figure out the final design of PHA. Thanks"

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #1,078 of 1,652
Stuck a new vidio up in updates saying xpro but to me that board looks to big to belong to pro x ?

It's two Pro X boards side by side being made simultaneously.

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #1,079 of 1,652

That is extremely disturbing news . I do sympathise with you and I will avoid Kickstarter too

Backers may be interested in this. I think more accountability will fall on Kickstarter and IndieGoGo soon.

http://www.seattlemet.com/articles/2015/10/30/washington-state-sued-a-failed-kickstarter-project-and-won

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #1,080 of 1,652
Don't gamble what you can't afford to loose...But a defined regulation is needed. Some responsibility from the owner...like credit card companies. We get say a percentage refund. If it's a con then KS Idgg picK up the pieces not us...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back