Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true?
Sep 11, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #1,096 of 1,652
Even in a one horse race it can still fall like a gang of drunk women in Hi heels... If you did this..Crowd funding for 100% return...Start a pyramid scheme... For either side now.. it's not in the true spirit of crowd funding...
A great idea ..cause.. and you support it.
Now it's gouge the funder or demand ridiculous things from a start up...
It should be charity with hopefully benefits. I wanted to support a small US based firm and to get people interested in HI Rez.
Not that I am a St or its all altruism on my part. I benefit and others do from better quality players that demand better quality music... Tidal spotify would only give better HQ music if the fan base demand it... Getting a player cheap is the thank you for helping.
We are not helping remove product issues, redesigns, ordering parts, talking to suppliers. Echo box are still late but they talk more... still the same delays...
You pay a premium to have someone wait in a shop until you hand over the hard earned. This is an investment like stocks/ shares... it's a risk and you have to wait for a return...
I invested $100 were is my $300?
I am even relaxed if it falls through.. disappointed but such is life...
We have been around this so many times on the thread and others....
This is a planted seed growing to bear fruit. Not a pre packed bag of apples on the go from a 7/11...
I keep saying this ....Expectation verse reality = disappointment.
If you don't weigh up the facts before deciding if this path is for you..
I just raise my arms and go Meh....
More important things to worry about.
Me... if everyone on this thread said they were fit healthy and happy.. I'd be happy to loose $100 just for that happy feeling...

Keep smiling

Dave

Not to be too critical or combative Dave but this is the sort of attitude that allows sheisters to keep operating and screwing people over as they know that some folks find it all too upsetting/draining/frustrating to demand and expect better and therefore the BS keeps on being sold and the rip offs continue to be perpetrated on poor trusting investors. I believe that the LEAST a supplier can do is TRY to deliver the promised product within a reasonable time of the projected delivery date and keep investors INFORMED about delays, progress, etc. If many of us, in our day-to-day lives and professions, delivered such poor performance, we would be unemployed post haste. In closing, let me say that I applaud your attitude of not sweating the small stuff and I wish I could do so as well but, unfortunately, my character does not allow me to do this as I am a "sweat the details" kinda guy both professionally and personally.
 A good healthy discussion going on here and it is good to see as this is what forums are supposed to be about, the free exchange of ideas and opinions without fear of recourse by the crazies. Just my 2c worth. Cheers.

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #1,097 of 1,652
I don't thing these lot are trying to screw us over..Even screw us around on purpose..Just terrible communication.
But you are spot on to be cautious and I wouldn't want anyone not to be anything but.....Especially with money..my money in particular :sunglasses:. .
But all of this is a risk... De risking your outlook and expectations as well as doing research on your horse before putting down money....
They do jump a bit ahead in thier targets..Cheap IEMS Daps ..Now 4k TVs. ...Thier 10 year plan must be cheap housing on Mars the way they expand..
I wouldn't look at anything with rose tinted glasses...This can fall over at any time...Expatin stopped my fears but the kit better be A grade because the lack of good communication hasn't engendered a sense of loyalty and community support.
I stated at the beginning. .a revolution is nothing without revolutionaries.... People google and can come here for advice for our opinions...so far it's not that bad just delays..
A "sorry guys..The first off Seiun Pro just wasn't good enough...We are redesigning the player from scratch"
This will add time but you get a better product" We are incorporating some of the community suggestions"

One off info and most are happy... No communication same delay...completely different response... Managing expectations is missed here by Seiun..
A shame really....
Apologies.. I try and make a holistic view but I always make it seem one sided....
Keep the debate going always...
Always nice learning and talking..
Sorry mine is a bit too much...
:pensive:

Sep 11, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #1,098 of 1,652
I don't thing these lot are trying to screw us over..Even screw us around on purpose..Just terrible communication.
But you are spot on to be cautious and I wouldn't want anyone not to be anything but.....Especially with money..my money in particular :sunglasses:. .
But all of this is a risk... De risking your outlook and expectations as well as doing research on your horse before putting down money....
They do jump a bit ahead in thier targets..Cheap IEMS Daps ..Now 4k TVs. ...Thier 10 year plan must be cheap housing on Mars the way they expand..
I wouldn't look at anything with rose tinted glasses...This can fall over at any time...Expatin stopped my fears but the kit better be A grade because the lack of good communication hasn't engendered a sense of loyalty and community support.
I stated at the beginning. .a revolution is nothing without revolutionaries.... People google and can come here for advice for our opinions...so far it's not that bad just delays..
A "sorry guys..The first off Seiun Pro just wasn't good enough...We are redesigning the player from scratch"
This will add time but you get a better product" We are incorporating some of the community suggestions"

One off info and most are happy... No communication same delay...completely different response... Managing expectations is missed here by Seiun..
A shame really....
Apologies.. I try and make a holistic view but I always make it seem one sided....
Keep the debate going always...
Always nice learning and talking..
Sorry mine is a bit too much...
:pensive:

I think I understand about 1/2 of what you have written, but I think I agree with you; at least the 1/2 I understand...  I do empathize with Lucy Liu and Szu Chen; they seem to be like lower-level employees in this project who have to sort thru all the e-mails and try to provide reasonable answers to as many issues as they can.  I get the feeling they know just a bit more than we do on the day-to-day operations of CD.  Oh, I guess they know the products that CD already sells, but as far as the progress being made on the production of the Pro's and PHA, they appear to know only what they are told.  I get the feeling they are not attending high-level business meetings... Based on the production video, the Pro's are being made somewhere in Asia; Thomas Chen seems to be in charge here, but we really don't know how much information he shares with his lower-level colleagues.  At least there is no one out there from CD spinning BS; the constant spinning and lies in the Geek Wave campaign are finally what did me in with LH Labs... I won't even consider buying anything in the future from LH Labs, because I will never be able to trust their customer service. Will I ever buy anything else from CD in the future?  I don't know.  It all depends on how good I feel the ProX and PHA turn out to be.  But I can assure everyone here that CD has not done anything so far in this campaign that would keep me from buying from them again...

Since we have no real insight to the inner-workings and relationships within CD, I'm willing to calmly wait out this campaign for now...  I just look at this whole project this way:  HiFi music and all its components are my hobby, but the Pro, Pro X, and PHA represent CD's livelihood.  Even if this project completely falls apart and I receive nothing, then I'll have other DAPs to enjoy my music. Sure, I will have lost some money, and I will be disappointed because I did not receive my first true hi-res player/PHA, but I won't lose my job and I'll still be able to provide for my family...  So from this perspective, it appears to me that CD and its employees have much more to lose than I do...  According to Thomas Chen, the Pro's and PHA are in production and we will all receive our "perks" in due time... So for me, without trying to defend or apologize for CD, a wait of another month or two is not a great sacrifice.... Eventually, we will all have the chance to voice our opinions on the products that we bought from CD, and this will help others in the Head-fi community decide if they want to buy a Pro X or PHA or not...

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #1,099 of 1,652
For the last few weeks, ive been preoccupied with another "toy," my new phone. i waited to upgrade my phone from the Samsung Note 3 to the 7.I was very happy, the sound quality has been amazing me, and with a free 245gb card from Samsung, a nice place to store and enjoy a lot of music! that us, until a few of the phones started blowing up. Now, theyve all been recalled, and i had to stand in line to return mine at my local Verizon. While literally standing there, i got stung by a bee. I'll add here than i have some severe allergies, and should have an epipen on me at all times. i suppose most of you know about how corporate greed, or even a single person, can affect a lot of people. Sometimes its intentional, as i believe is the case with Epipen. Samsung is a huge, brilliant company that still made a mistake with their otherwise wonderful flagship smartphone. I dont believe CD is trying to hurt their small company by screwing a few backers. Im still alive, i didnt go into anaphylaxis and die today. I feel like crap, and a bit out of it on benadryl, but i think we'll eventually get our new ear-candy makers. And Middy, I'm with you on the foot problems, lining all my shoes with gels and orthotics for a bad case of plantar fasciitis! LOL, Hang in there, everybody! :wink:

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #1,102 of 1,652
To date, I've supported about 20 crowd funded items.  Of those, one has failed to get funded (thus I wasn't charged) and I was screwed on one ($500 poof).  Of the rest I would say the average delay from the anticipated shipping date is about 6 months and I'd even had one go a year and a half past.  Getting even a simple product into commercial production is hard and if you haven't done it before, it takes a lot longer then you think.  Maybe 3-4 of my backed items have shipped on time and that was only because (and they said this up front) production was already ready to go.  You can usually tell those apart as they'll have a shipping date only a month or two from the closing of the campaign.  

So when I signed up for the Seiun player, I didn't expect it to be ready until the end of this summer.  When you hear that a design isn't even finalized, it's always best to add half a year to the shipment.  I even purchased an oppo ha-2 back in feb cause I knew this.

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #1,104 of 1,652
  To date, I've supported about 20 crowd funded items.  Of those, one has failed to get funded (thus I wasn't charged) and I was screwed on one ($500 poof).  Of the rest I would say the average delay from the anticipated shipping date is about 6 months and I'd even had one go a year and a half past.  Getting even a simple product into commercial production is hard and if you haven't done it before, it takes a lot longer then you think.  Maybe 3-4 of my backed items have shipped on time and that was only because (and they said this up front) production was already ready to go.  You can usually tell those apart as they'll have a shipping date only a month or two from the closing of the campaign.  

So when I signed up for the Seiun player, I didn't expect it to be ready until the end of this summer.  When you hear that a design isn't even finalized, it's always best to add half a year to the shipment.  I even purchased an oppo ha-2 back in feb cause I knew this.

Just curious what the $500 loss was?

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #1,106 of 1,652
Apologies.

Dap reviews take longer than earphone reviews.

But I have also been tardy.

Should be done soon.

Initial impressions are positive.

68641b4080621b21fe4cb04177c8a854.jpg

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #1,108 of 1,652
Worked on the Cyberdrive JR-2 review today. Nearly finished.

:)

In the meantime If you missed them the first time around I took some photos of the ProX and other Cyberdrive devices at a show in Tokyo this July.

http://headpie.blogspot.jp/2016/07/e-earphone-headphone-show-7162016.html?m=1

About halfway, just past the Opus photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back