Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true?
Nov 15, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #46 of 1,652
When I first jumped on the bandwagon and backed this thing, I thought the price is incredible.  But then after I chilled out and did some research, I have a change of opinion.  Don't get me wrong, the price is still excellent,  but not a monstrous deal as I thought earlier.  To me this DAP/DMP is essentially a small tablet with added audio capability.  These days, one can get a 8" Window tablet with standard resolution for ~ 150$ from Aliexpress.  Granted the Seiun player (Pro X)  has more ram (2 G) and storage (64G), but then the screen is much smaller which will  bring substantial cost saving.  Lastly, the tablet typically has more hardware connections e.g. HDMI, USB, ear phone  etc than this player and these costs money.  The battery also has to be bigger for the tablet due to the bigger screen.  So one can start to see the $150 price is about right. 

I do not think Cyberdrive started  this IGG campaign to make money.  Like all startups, CD need initial capital to conduct product development, pilot manufacturing and market testing.  Instead of going to Venture capital, which will cost a chunk of the company, crowdfunding is a better alternative.  All the money raised in the campaign will be used for the items above.  In return, the product produced will be returned to the investors as reward for their initial funding.  CD will gain all the  knowledge of product development, manufacturing etc from this campaign and put it down in its resume, which will be a big help to get financing in the near future to start a "real" company. 

Is the spec of this player "monster"? I don't think so, if  you compare that to some of the recent TV boxes that use 3368.  The video engine built-in  handles 4K.  The audio spec is just that of the DAC chip.  It is the integration of the hardware and the implementation of appropriate software that will make or break this thing.   

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #47 of 1,652
The 4k is a superfluous add on for me, I want this as a docked player to feed in my OPPO ha1. As long as the dock isn't crippling in price. Can it sq output as good as a tablet? I hope just a bit more.. Adding a SCHIIT WYRD, Regen or jitterbug, wasn't in my near term plans.
What can it do, for the price and does it sound good. It may not please the hard core here, but hopefully it will be implemented half decent and make a good present or starter DAP.
what stays by my bed and stays at work will depend if it out performs my FIIO X3II.

With the docks you could say it's a good sounding Internet Phone or a cheap tv streamer. Just a DAP wouldn't have had the same exposure on IDGG.

I am in for the long haul with this little gamble.$600-£3000 for daps and add on's...8^/

My £100 seems a bargin... Shame if it is a bargin like the FLARE Audio in ears. It maybe too late for people to jump in as it starts competing with the entry-level Daps on price.

All fun ..

Can't see it hitting 700k though..

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #48 of 1,652
I actually like the look of the small player! I don't have much need or like for a touchscreen but a small clip-on Hi-Res player might hit the spot! Does anyone know if the uSD is loaded internal or external to the player?

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #51 of 1,652
Went to check out the Echobox Explorer on IGG and found this. Seems like an awesome deal for $150..

Depends what you have already and what you want to drive off it.
I am waiting for the docks and a firm review before I will be happy.
Will it still be a bargin at full price RRP. As wiser heads here say :implementation. I don't think I've wasted my money as it will serve a purpose for me one way or another.

All fun though

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #52 of 1,652
Depends what you have already and what you want to drive off it.
I am waiting for the docks and a firm review before I will be happy.
Will it still be a bargin at full price RRP. As wiser heads here say :implementation. I don't think I've wasted my money as it will serve a purpose for me one way or another.

All fun though

Which one did you get? I have a Fiio X1, but i want the streaming capability and 64GB (X) +card sounds good too.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #53 of 1,652
Pro x didn't make sense to get anything else.
I've got a remix mini android PC off kick starter coming. Was going to use as a streaming music server. This fits in nicely with my cheap evil plan..

I ordered the in ears as spares.

My FLARES R2S will be the test..

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #54 of 1,652
Stretch goals changed. Their plans altered. This may change what people think about driving thier Iems and above.
Very well played on thier part, I must admit!!!

See what you think... from IDGG update.
Enjoy

Hello All,

We have our Second IRC Chat Session Wednesday Nov 18th from 6PM to 9PM (PST).
Channel: #Seiun_IGG
Server: irc.freenode.net
Port: 6667
SSL: Enabled

Also we will be hosting an AMA on Reddit.com/r/Audiophile on Thursday Nov 19th from 6PM-9PM and again on Sunday from 6PM-9PM.
We'll post up the link once the page is live!

We have heard your comments and opinions and we have decided to re-do our stretch goals.

We will still have all four colors avaliable for you to choose from. However for the $250,000 stretch goal we would like to introduce to your the SEIUN HPA.

The Seiun HPA is our High Performance Mobile DAC / AMP meant to be paired with both the Seiun Pro / Pro X & all you existing devices (including phones, tablets, laptops, computers etc.)

The Specs for the Seiun HPA.

The Seiun HPA will use a combo of the the SABRE9018S(DAC) and the TPA6120A2(AMP) along with Cyberdrive's own powerful DSP.

We have decided to make higher capacity internal storage available for everyone!

You can now upgrade your Seiun Pro / PRO X to 128GB internal storage using the Add-On Perks listed at the top. Please note you will have to purchase an additional perk for EACH PLAYER!

The cost of upgrade is higher for the Seiun Pro because it cost more to upgrade from 32GB to 128GB (compared to 64GB to 128GB).
All existing Seiun Players have been upgraded to 16GB internal storage!
*The Limit on Impact Dura has also been removed! You can order as many units as you would like!
Last of all, don't worry, WE DIDN'T FORGET ABOUT THE CASES!
We'll have a separate update for those soon!

Reply directly to this email to respond to the campaign owner, Cyberdrive,INC (formerly Forte Audio). Visit the campaign page to view all comments and updates for this project.

Help spread the word about the campaign!

Fb_icon Twitter_icon Gplus_icon Email_icon

Sincerely,
The Indiegogo Team

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #55 of 1,652
Apparently, the PHA is not just a DAC/amp combo, but is also a portable player by itself. It supports some really neat features like USD HDD Connection, but if it have a built in storage, then it's all good to go.

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #57 of 1,652
Oh wait,

So, why bother with the Pro or Pro X anymore? This is a player itself. I don't get what they're trying to accomplish here. It can even be bought separately (not as an add-on).

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #59 of 1,652
Oh wait,

So, why bother with the Pro or Pro X anymore? This is a player itself. I don't get what they're trying to accomplish here. It can even be bought separately (not as an add-on).

Yeah it's surprising that they've come out with an overlapping product.  The only thing the PHA/HPA seems to lack is the Andriod OS and big screen.  Otherwise it's higher specced in every way...although bound to be bigger/heavier due to that battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back