Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true?
Nov 21, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #166 of 1,652

>.<
Whether Cyberdrive does or does not have appropriate "economies of scale" has noting to do with whether they can or cannot manufacture their devices.  What are you trying to say here?  Only companies that sell an enormous number of units can use a cnc machine to make their devices' housings?

This practice is very common in China.  Take a look at the Newsmy G1, AGPtEK IMP, and Moonlight Z1.

I am trying to say:

1)  Yes lets assume that is common practise among Chinese manufacturers.

2)  That I believe that Cyberdrive cannot manufacture their devices at those prices and remain profitable, even if they collaborate with other manufacturers.

3) To have them collaborate with a company like Xiaomi is next to impossible for the same reasons that other large companies go to great extents to protect their intellectual property.

Ultimately, this product will be a game changer for the entire DAP market.

I just don't know if its going to work out, and for that I will wait for this to be released in retail. I will not mind paying twice the price for this assurance.

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #167 of 1,652
  Then I did some searching around and realised that it is not impossible at this price point, with the opinion that CD is not targeting profit  in this IDGG campaign.  Let's be serious, how much money one can make from the volume of items involved.  

As iJay posted, CD is probably using  CMO's that have been doing phones and tablets and  pretty much have all the toolings ready.  Manufacturing business in China these days are not great, many medium and small size outfits would do smaller runs - it is better than no job at all.  I am sure Foxcon is not going to take this job.  So my take is that financially it is doable, at least to cover all the cost. 

Now, come to the most critical question, quality of the player.  AT this point, I guess nobody knows.  As others have alluded to , one should not look at this player as equivalent to A & K and other higher end products. Since the cost is low enough, even though if all blown to hell (which I do think will happen) it is not a big deal - look at it as entertainment expenses. 

Absolutely! 

I'm still going to hold back on this one though..

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #168 of 1,652

I am trying to say:

1)  Yes lets assume that is common practise among Chinese manufacturers.

2)  That I believe that Cyberdrive cannot manufacture their devices at those prices and remain profitable, even if they collaborate with other manufacturers.

3) To have them collaborate with a company like Xiaomi is next to impossible for the same reasons that other large companies go to great extents to protect their intellectual property.

Ultimately, this product will be a game changer for the entire DAP market.

I just don't know if its going to work out, and for that I will wait for this to be released in retail. I will not mind paying twice the price for this assurance.

You're greatly overestimating the materials cost for a smartphone/smartphone-esque device.  They not spending anything on advertising, so they will probably be profitable.

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #169 of 1,652
Early adopters are the advertising!!!
What we say counts. But we judge on bang for buck as well as quality.. Or if you haven't a full Chord setup with 30k mono block amps and a LCD 4 with stax..We just don't bother any more..

This can only pleasantly suprise us, hopefully... At the beginning I wanted the best DAP guy here to have a beta PRO X. I have asked them to sent units to D DARKO and other reviewers... for advice, help and improvements.

Personally I want Head fi to be more than a review site and us more than critical consumer's. I think a community helps. You can read improvements like a plastic pass through block, than a looped cable to the PHA with no strain relief.
Magnetic clipped. Under flush volume knob. Push down to engage so no volume changes on the go... We know a bit more as we live with the mistakes of other products.

We are stake holders in a new company.
We have a chance to help.
We all are reps here.
This isn't just an Audiophile product.
I want this to be better than I think it will be and want a new firm to be successful. If we can help more than a few nights out drinking worth of money.
Than I can say I am part of a community.

They did say the IDGG prices are just above cost. This is mostly a completed product, small changes can be achieved.
Flying Unicorn add on requests in IDGG comments won't happen.
How about listing what we want in the UI, the DUAL case is a good idea but a smaller cable for the PHA would be needed.
What do you think we can add with all our experience?

Good luck
The phantom Seiun rep

Dave 8^p
Just a quick one..Does Seiun mean Nebula?

Nov 21, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #171 of 1,652
  Just found this video, apparently in Chinese. Couldn't get a word out of it, but at least it shows a bit from the Seiun Player (not the Pros) in action.

Just some publicity and junk about how it's a good value.  There wasn't any really exciting new information, but it does confirm Seiun is based in Taiwan and America.  Price is going to be around 200 USD (probably for the Pro X, maybe the Pro, doesn't say which).
Source:  I know Korean.

There are some (probably mockups) of the Pro (X) at 1:32, pretty blurry, though.

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #172 of 1,652
  Just some publicity and junk about how it's a good value.  There wasn't any really exciting new information, but it does confirm Seiun is based in Taiwan and America.  Price is going to be around 200 USD (probably for the Pro X, maybe the Pro, doesn't say which).
Source:  I know Korean.

There are some (probably mockups) of the Pro (X) at 1:32, pretty blurry, though.

Yup, just some publicity.  However, it does suggest that players are pretty much ready for production.  By the way, the video was filmed Taipei and in madarin, what does Korean have to do with it?

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #173 of 1,652

Yup, just some publicity.  However, it does suggest that players are pretty much ready for production.  By the way, the video was filmed Taipei and in madarin, what does Korean have to do with it?

I'm pretty sure they were talking about the regular player, not the Pro/Pro X models.

私はあなたが言っているかわかりません。これは、語韓国でした
You spaek is unintellligeble!  Korea are this!

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #174 of 1,652
At least for now, Cyberdrive appears to have taken some of the shine (or should I say heat?) away from LH Labs...  I do find it interesting that CD is able to offer 32 gb internal memory with the Seiun Pro (with optional upgrade to 128 gb), but LH Labs said they were unable to procure 32 gb IM chips for the Geek Wave, and basically canceled the eventual production of the GW 32.  I'm certainly not an expert in hi-fi components, but are internal memory chips so specific that they may fit into one DAP and not another??

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #175 of 1,652
  At least for now, Cyberdrive appears to have taken some of the shine (or should I say heat?) away from LH Labs...  I do find it interesting that CD is able to offer 32 gb internal memory with the Seiun Pro (with optional upgrade to 128 gb), but LH Labs said they were unable to procure 32 gb IM chips for the Geek Wave, and basically canceled the eventual production of the GW 32.  I'm certainly not an expert in hi-fi components, but are internal memory chips so specific that they may fit into one DAP and not another??

There are plenty of products being produced with 32 GiB or less.  AFAICT, the 32 GiB lore LH invented was just an excuse.

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #176 of 1,652
Anyone know if there was another AMA on Sunday? It was mentioned on the Thursday note but can't see anything on the IGG group or the original reddit ( unless I'm missing something)?

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #177 of 1,652
Anyone know if there was another AMA on Sunday? It was mentioned on the Thursday note but can't see anything on the IGG group or the original reddit ( unless I'm missing something)?

Hey Jackpot, I was in there earlier today answering questions. I'll check in again tmrw evening (around the same time 6-9) if you still have questions.

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #178 of 1,652
Hey Jackpot, I was in there earlier today answering questions. I'll check in again tmrw evening (around the same time 6-9) if you still have questions.

Thanks TikiCD - sorted my reddit by time of posts and can see the latest responses now. User error/stupidity on a Monday morning!

Don't have any burning queries at the moment (have pledged for 2xPro and the HPA and quite happy with what I've heard so far) - was just interested to hear any more updates on the benchmarks and HO output impedance queries. It's refreshing to be involved in an IGG or Kickstarter campaign with so much interaction with the creators once the target has been hit - keep up the good work!

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #179 of 1,652
@TikiCD I've backed a Pro X and PHA, and I'll add my voice to those concerned about the output impedance on the Pro X. Imho, this is a critical issue that must be addressed.  Every single post-release review of the player (and I predict there will be many on here alone) will list this as a problem. Best to nip it in the bud now I'd suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back